PDA

View Full Version : How to annoy your wife (or other relevant significant other)

cml
07-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Today me and my wife are baby-free, our daughter is staying the night at her grand parents.

I got the brilliant idea that I should teach her a little ukulele, something she's not been interested in, not even the slightest. However I convinced her that it would be fun and a learning experience is always good as it delevops you :).

She agreed.

We learned D, A7 and G (as they are very very common in swedish nursery rhymes and songs) and played slowly with only downstrums. After a little while, we learned the first 4 measures of "Here comes Pippi Longstockings), at a very slow tempo. So far so good, but here I should have stopped ;). My wife was clearly done for the day, but I decided to "be funny" and started following her and playing happy tunes. She was moderatly appreciative, to make a bit of an overstatement. Imagine your wife saying/yelling: "GAAAAAAH stop it!!!! You look so bloody happy playing the ukulele and it's so damn cheerful it's f*cking annoying!". Of course I kept playing, I do love her so and want to make her happy ;).

Hope you enjoyed my little story! How does your significant other react or feel about the ukulele?

Thanks,
CML

PS. My wife was not really angry at all, it was all in good fun. DS.
PPS. But as we know, it's a very thin line... DDS.
PPPS. Also, live by the code: "Happy wife - happy life" DDDS.

Rllink
07-08-2016, 10:02 AM
My wife does not share my enthusiasm for the ukulele. In fact, she does not share my enthusiasm for a lot of things that I do. I generally keep that in mind when I get the urge to share with her. We both seem to have our own things, and ukuleles are my thing. Every once in a while I will ask her if she wants to learn how to play the uke, and she always says, "no". I don't push it. Honestly, there are some things that she likes to do that I really don't want to do, so I leave well enough alone.

Booli
07-08-2016, 10:11 AM
That was a nice story.

Thanks for sharing. :)

WCBarnes
07-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Thanks for sharing CML! I could have typed almost that exact same story! My wife tolerates the ukulele because I love it so much (and it keeps me from spending even more $$$ on cars...), but she has absolutely no love for it. I find myself outside or in the basement playing so she doesn't have to hear it.

CeeJay
07-08-2016, 10:37 AM
How to annoy your wife (or other relevant significant other)

I just come home !!:(

cml
07-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Ouch ouch... :eek:

Tootler
07-08-2016, 11:05 AM
My wife does not share my enthusiasm for the ukulele. In fact, she does not share my enthusiasm for a lot of things that I do. I generally keep that in mind when I get the urge to share with her. We both seem to have our own things, and ukuleles are my thing. Every once in a while I will ask her if she wants to learn how to play the uke, and she always says, "no". I don't push it. Honestly, there are some things that she likes to do that I really don't want to do, so I leave well enough alone.

That sounds like my relationship with my wife. She has her interests and I have mine. Music is mine and she does things like knitting and sewing. She's had to curtail her quilting because of her health which is a pity because she made some lovely quilts but she knits and goes out knitting and nattering regularly.

She doesn't say much about my music to me but my daughter told me that she has said complimentary things to others.

Our 47th wedding anniversary is this month so we must be doing something right. :)

We do go out together on a regular basis.

sukie
07-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Paul has only snapped once. It was the day before the talent contest at the State Fair. Apparently he is really not a fan of my playing at 12:30 at night.

He's supportive but has no interest at all.

Sven-Uke
07-08-2016, 12:14 PM
"Happy wife, happy life", I like that!

My girlfriend likes to sing along when I play the ukulele.
It is extra nice when she suggests songs to play which I would never have thought of playing.
We keep each other happy :)

sculptor
07-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Today me and my wife are baby-free, our daughter is staying the night at her grand parents.

I got the brilliant idea that I should teach her a little ukulele, something she's not been interested in, not even the slightest. However I convinced her that it would be fun and a learning experience is always good as it delevops you :).

She agreed.

We learned D, A7 and G (as they are very very common in swedish nursery rhymes and songs) and played slowly with only downstrums. After a little while, we learned the first 4 measures of "Here comes Pippi Longstockings), at a very slow tempo. So far so good, but here I should have stopped ;). My wife was clearly done for the day, but I decided to "be funny" and started following her and playing happy tunes. She was moderatly appreciative, to make a bit of an overstatement. Imagine your wife saying/yelling: "GAAAAAAH stop it!!!! You look so bloody happy playing the ukulele and it's so damn cheerful it's f*cking annoying!". Of course I kept playing, I do love her so and want to make her happy ;).

Hope you enjoyed my little story! How does your significant other react or feel about the ukulele?

Thanks,
CML

PS. My wife was not really angry at all, it was all in good fun. DS.
PPS. But as we know, it's a very thin line... DDS.
PPPS. Also, live by the code: "Happy wife - happy life" DDDS.

I think deep in her heart my Ukuleles are something she longs to smash. :eek:

-- Gary

KeithDalby
07-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Erm, buying a louder, punchier uke isn't recommended, that's for sure. My wife has grown to tolerate my ukulele playing, but my recent purchase of a banjolele may have been a step to far.

padlin
07-08-2016, 01:00 PM
My wife leaves the room after a bit, goes to the other room and plays the piano. Her piano easily drowns out my ukulele.

After listening to her learning a new song I know exactly what she goes through when I'm learning a new song. Thankfully for me, she plays a lot better then I do.

bonesigh
07-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Mwahaha....CJ!

bonesigh
07-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Interesting thread. My experience is that I was very annoying to all to begin with. Then I got better and less annoying but still so. Then they got used to hearing my plinking and tuned it out most of the time. Two years into it my hubby said "Dang it! I better learn to play or I'll never see you again!". My daughter who got me into it when she was five gave it up around 7 and now plays the flute.

Fast forward 8 years and now my music is a given around the house and I've gotten our grammar school to acquire by grant 25 ukes, (3 years ago now!) the music teacher loves it. I started a club in town and my hubby only plays with me seldom but he does still keep it up on his own. Usually by himself. He doesn't think I want to play with him for he feels he is not good enough. I do tell him that's not so but, really, having different hobbies is good but we can still share sometimes. I will go to his Toastmasters meetings and he will uke with me.......sometimes (:

Nickie
07-08-2016, 04:39 PM
I'd be careful not to annoy her too much, lest you find a uke or two lying on the front lawn some day, with the irrigation running....or some such horror as that.
I'm lucky, my SO plays too. Last night we jammed and she had out a:
UBass, tenor uke, lo G tenor uke, 8 string tenor....
I still worry that I might annoy her. When I practice I often play the same tune over and over and over.....

bunnyf
07-08-2016, 08:11 PM
My husband is my biggest fan and my biggest critic. He plays as well, but doesn't dig it as much as me, so after a bit, he tends to wander off to read or otherwise occupy himself. On some occasions, though, he will listen for several hours and will often suggests songs to play. I love when he actually picks up a uke and plays along. I get it though. It's not HIS main interest, it's MINE.

Tootler
07-08-2016, 09:56 PM
...I still worry that I might annoy her. When I practice I often play the same tune over and over and over.....

That's something we discussed and I commented to my wife and daughter that they tend to hear me at my worst because they are hearing me learning songs (and tunes on my wind instruments) so I will be making mistakes and, yes when you are learning something new, you have to play it over and over to get it into your head and fingers.

Czechmate01
07-09-2016, 12:11 AM
The roles are reversed at my house, my husband has no interest in learning the ukulele but he is supportive of me learning and listens to me practice and play. When he has enough he puts his head phones on and watches tv or whatever. We do not have a lot of similar interests or hobbies but support the other in their endeavors.

Croaky Keith
07-09-2016, 12:28 AM
I still worry that I might annoy her. When I practice I often play the same tune over and over and over.....

You need to get yourself a solid electric & headphone amp.......... :)

.......helping with your UAS.... :music:

sopher
07-09-2016, 12:36 AM
My wife goes to the uke club with me to strum a little and sing. She never minds when I play at home and often says "I like that song" or something similar. She also doesn't mind if I play in the middle of the night - it doesn't seem to wake her up.

My daughter is a different story - if I play any stringed instrument when she is in the house it immediately awakens and enrages her - since she just left for the Peace Corps, problem solved.

vanflynn
07-09-2016, 04:23 AM
Interesting thread. My experience is that I was very annoying to all to begin with

Hah! Da be me too!

I learned to throw in some of my bride's favorites ( mostly Beatles ) in the mix and all are happy. The dog was actually the worst critic. Finally does not leave the room when I touch the uke case.

kohanmike
07-09-2016, 05:05 AM
Since I've never been married and don't have a girlfriend, my only family experience was with my sister-in-law and my cousin when he was visiting from Toronto. They asked me to play them something, but when I started singing (which I do badly) they laughed in my face. Stopped playing and will never play for them again.

Rllink
07-09-2016, 05:35 AM
My wife does not share my enthusiasm for the ukulele. In fact, she does not share my enthusiasm for a lot of things that I do. I generally keep that in mind when I get the urge to share with her. We both seem to have our own things, and ukuleles are my thing. Every once in a while I will ask her if she wants to learn how to play the uke, and she always says, "no". I don't push it. Honestly, there are some things that she likes to do that I really don't want to do, so I leave well enough alone.Quoting myself here. Just to clarify, my wife does not mind if I play my ukulele. I can play it all I want. She works from home and sometimes I have to "go somewhere else and play" but most of the time I just play where and when I please. She herself is very musical, much more than I am, and she will sing along with me on occasion. She will even do an open mic with me sometimes, if she is in the mood. She just doesn't care about ukuleles. If I start talking about ukuleles I can see her tuning me out. If I talk about them too much, it makes her grumpy. I mean, she used to play piano, but we didn't talk about pianos all the time. In fact, we never talk about pianos, and she never tried to talk me into playing the piano either. What is it with ukulele players that they want to talk everyone else into playing the ukulele?

kvehe
07-09-2016, 06:05 AM
What is it with ukulele players that they want to talk everyone else into playing the ukulele?

I guess we want to spread the aloha. :D

I tried to talk a friend into it once. She's a college friend who now lives in the Tampa Bay area. The first time I went to visit her after becoming uke-obsessed, I checked for uke stores in the area and found one about a mile from her house (Compass Music in Madeira Beach). To me, this was a sign from on-high that she was meant to play the uke! After all, it's within walking distance of her house!! I visited Compass Music during the trip and bought a Kala travel uke, but was never able to get Carol to display any interest. I've had better luck getting my friends interested in and learning how to crochet.

padlin
07-09-2016, 06:57 AM
You need to get yourself a solid electric & headphone amp.......... :)

.......helping with your UAS.... :music:

How much noise does this produce, to the non headphone wearer in the next room?

cml
07-09-2016, 07:18 AM
Not a lot but there's still some noise of course, I play one in the evening when my daughter is asleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BL8n5aLEAY

Croaky Keith
07-09-2016, 07:50 AM

You won't hear an unplugged electric in the next room - it's just about audible 10 ft away, if you listen carefully, in a quiet room.

When you plug in headphones to the amp, only you will hear it. :cool:

Booli
07-09-2016, 07:53 AM

Methinks that an $8 pack of foam earplugs, which contains like 20 re-usable pairs of earplugs, is an EASY fix.

However the hard part is getting the OTHER person to AGREE to wearing the earplugs. :)

cml
07-09-2016, 08:37 AM
You won't hear an unplugged electric in the next room - it's just about audible 10 ft away, if you listen carefully, in a quiet room.

When you plug in headphones to the amp, only you will hear it. :cool:
Nah, mine is quite audible even if you're in another room, but it's not loud.

acmespaceship
07-09-2016, 10:22 AM
I play uke and dulcimer. Husband plays clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax and xaphoon (Google it). Son who is home from college this summer plays piano, electronic keyboard, bass, guitar, banjo uke, and anything not nailed down. Once a year at Christmas we all play recorders. All three cats sing opera. I work from home and my husband retires at the end of this month.
Noise-canceling headphones are wonderful inventions. Just saying. :cheers:

chillywilly
07-09-2016, 01:02 PM
When I first read this yesterday I thought....no kids, free night, the last thing I would bring out would be my ukulele!!!! My wife puts up with my playing, especially when I am learning a new song and play over, and over, and over, and over...... She also like when I play the cello, which I picked up again after 40 plus years of not playing. She falls asleep when I play. How she can fall asleep with the often horrible screeching sounds I will never know. I cringe when I am playing. She finds it relaxing...

Booli
07-09-2016, 01:21 PM
When I first read this yesterday I thought....no kids, free night, the last thing I would bring out would be my ukulele!!!!...

I was going to say something along these lines, i.e., snuggle-time/alone-time, etc, but could not find the words to mention it politely...not that I'm a horn-dog or anything, but without worry of childcare for a while, seems like a nice opportunity...(date-night)

Please let me offer this PSA:

We all needs our snuggle time every so often with our significant other. Even just a good, long hug can do WONDERS for your own happiness.

Humans do not do well in isolation, even if it is only a feeling, as in being lonely in a crowd...

So, please, go find your partner, and give them an extended and intimate hug. You will both be better for it afterwards. :)

padlin
07-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Not a lot but there's still some noise of course, I play one in the evening when my daughter is asleep.

Appreciate the sound sample

sukie
07-09-2016, 07:24 PM
When I first read this yesterday I thought....no kids, free night, the last thing I would bring out would be my ukulele!!!!

Hahahahahaha!!! Me too. Hahahahaha!

kohanmike
07-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Please let me offer this PSA: We all needs our snuggle time every so often with our significant other. Even just a good, long hug can do WONDERS for your own happiness. Humans do not do well in isolation, even if it is only a feeling, as in being lonely in a crowd... So, please, go find your partner, and give them an extended and intimate hug. You will both be better for it afterwards. :)

Uh oh, I think I'm in big trouble.

cml
07-09-2016, 08:51 PM
When I first read this yesterday I thought....no kids, free night, the last thing I would bring out would be my ukulele!!!! My wife puts up with my playing, especially when I am learning a new song and play over, and over, and over, and over...... She also like when I play the cello, which I picked up again after 40 plus years of not playing. She falls asleep when I play. How she can fall asleep with the often horrible screeching sounds I will never know. I cringe when I am playing. She finds it relaxing... We found time to enjoy each other's company as well ;). The uke session didnt last very long, but I thought it a rather funny story to share.

stevepetergal
07-10-2016, 04:51 AM
At first, I thought "What can this guy teach me about annoying the wife? I'm the master."
Well, you do have a great new twist. "This will be good for you developmentally." Yeah, I haven't tried that one. You will do well, Grasshopper. I'll set up the spare room in the dog house. I've got cable.

Nickie
07-10-2016, 01:37 PM
What is it with ukulele players that they want to talk everyone else into playing the ukulele?

For me, it's because I have hope that other folks might enjoy it as much as I do. It's a way less expensive hobby than photography, beats the hell outta TV, is cheaper and easier than guitar. It's too hot here now for gardening. I could go on. I think I just recruited a hospice chaplain. I hope so, he has a great voice.

PereBourik
07-10-2016, 01:53 PM

For me, it's because I have hope that other folks might enjoy it as much as I do. It's a way less expensive hobby than photography, beats the hell outta TV, is cheaper and easier than guitar. It's too hot here now for gardening. I could go on. I think I just recruited a hospice chaplain. I hope so, he has a great voice.

Not to mention Porsches & mistresses.