How to annoy your wife (or other relevant significant other)

cml

Reaction score
Today me and my wife are baby-free, our daughter is staying the night at her grand parents.

I got the brilliant idea that I should teach her a little ukulele, something she's not been interested in, not even the slightest. However I convinced her that it would be fun and a learning experience is always good as it delevops you :).

She agreed.

We learned D, A7 and G (as they are very very common in swedish nursery rhymes and songs) and played slowly with only downstrums. After a little while, we learned the first 4 measures of "Here comes Pippi Longstockings), at a very slow tempo. So far so good, but here I should have stopped ;). My wife was clearly done for the day, but I decided to "be funny" and started following her and playing happy tunes. She was moderatly appreciative, to make a bit of an overstatement. Imagine your wife saying/yelling: "GAAAAAAH stop it!!!! You look so bloody happy playing the ukulele and it's so damn cheerful it's f*cking annoying!". Of course I kept playing, I do love her so and want to make her happy ;).

Hope you enjoyed my little story! How does your significant other react or feel about the ukulele?

Thanks,
CML

PS. My wife was not really angry at all, it was all in good fun. DS.
PPS. But as we know, it's a very thin line... DDS.
PPPS. Also, live by the code: "Happy wife - happy life" DDDS.

My wife does not share my enthusiasm for the ukulele. In fact, she does not share my enthusiasm for a lot of things that I do. I generally keep that in mind when I get the urge to share with her. We both seem to have our own things, and ukuleles are my thing. Every once in a while I will ask her if she wants to learn how to play the uke, and she always says, "no". I don't push it. Honestly, there are some things that she likes to do that I really don't want to do, so I leave well enough alone.

That was a nice story.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks for sharing CML! I could have typed almost that exact same story! My wife tolerates the ukulele because I love it so much (and it keeps me from spending even more $$$ on cars...), but she has absolutely no love for it. I find myself outside or in the basement playing so she doesn't have to hear it.

How to annoy your wife (or other relevant significant other)

I just come home !!:(

My wife does not share my enthusiasm for the ukulele. In fact, she does not share my enthusiasm for a lot of things that I do. I generally keep that in mind when I get the urge to share with her. We both seem to have our own things, and ukuleles are my thing. Every once in a while I will ask her if she wants to learn how to play the uke, and she always says, "no". I don't push it. Honestly, there are some things that she likes to do that I really don't want to do, so I leave well enough alone.

That sounds like my relationship with my wife. She has her interests and I have mine. Music is mine and she does things like knitting and sewing. She's had to curtail her quilting because of her health which is a pity because she made some lovely quilts but she knits and goes out knitting and nattering regularly.

She doesn't say much about my music to me but my daughter told me that she has said complimentary things to others.

Our 47th wedding anniversary is this month so we must be doing something right. :)

We do go out together on a regular basis.

Paul has only snapped once. It was the day before the talent contest at the State Fair. Apparently he is really not a fan of my playing at 12:30 at night.

He's supportive but has no interest at all.

"Happy wife, happy life", I like that!

My girlfriend likes to sing along when I play the ukulele.
It is extra nice when she suggests songs to play which I would never have thought of playing.
We keep each other happy :)

Ummm...

Today me and my wife are baby-free, our daughter is staying the night at her grand parents.

I got the brilliant idea that I should teach her a little ukulele, something she's not been interested in, not even the slightest. However I convinced her that it would be fun and a learning experience is always good as it delevops you :).

She agreed.

We learned D, A7 and G (as they are very very common in swedish nursery rhymes and songs) and played slowly with only downstrums. After a little while, we learned the first 4 measures of "Here comes Pippi Longstockings), at a very slow tempo. So far so good, but here I should have stopped ;). My wife was clearly done for the day, but I decided to "be funny" and started following her and playing happy tunes. She was moderatly appreciative, to make a bit of an overstatement. Imagine your wife saying/yelling: "GAAAAAAH stop it!!!! You look so bloody happy playing the ukulele and it's so damn cheerful it's f*cking annoying!". Of course I kept playing, I do love her so and want to make her happy ;).

Hope you enjoyed my little story! How does your significant other react or feel about the ukulele?

Thanks,
CML

PS. My wife was not really angry at all, it was all in good fun. DS.
PPS. But as we know, it's a very thin line... DDS.
PPPS. Also, live by the code: "Happy wife - happy life" DDDS.

I think deep in her heart my Ukuleles are something she longs to smash. :eek:

-- Gary

Erm, buying a louder, punchier uke isn't recommended, that's for sure. My wife has grown to tolerate my ukulele playing, but my recent purchase of a banjolele may have been a step to far.

My wife leaves the room after a bit, goes to the other room and plays the piano. Her piano easily drowns out my ukulele.

After listening to her learning a new song I know exactly what she goes through when I'm learning a new song. Thankfully for me, she plays a lot better then I do.

Interesting thread. My experience is that I was very annoying to all to begin with. Then I got better and less annoying but still so. Then they got used to hearing my plinking and tuned it out most of the time. Two years into it my hubby said "Dang it! I better learn to play or I'll never see you again!". My daughter who got me into it when she was five gave it up around 7 and now plays the flute.

Fast forward 8 years and now my music is a given around the house and I've gotten our grammar school to acquire by grant 25 ukes, (3 years ago now!) the music teacher loves it. I started a club in town and my hubby only plays with me seldom but he does still keep it up on his own. Usually by himself. He doesn't think I want to play with him for he feels he is not good enough. I do tell him that's not so but, really, having different hobbies is good but we can still share sometimes. I will go to his Toastmasters meetings and he will uke with me.......sometimes :)

I'd be careful not to annoy her too much, lest you find a uke or two lying on the front lawn some day, with the irrigation running....or some such horror as that.
I'm lucky, my SO plays too. Last night we jammed and she had out a:
UBass, tenor uke, lo G tenor uke, 8 string tenor....
I still worry that I might annoy her. When I practice I often play the same tune over and over and over.....

My husband is my biggest fan and my biggest critic. He plays as well, but doesn't dig it as much as me, so after a bit, he tends to wander off to read or otherwise occupy himself. On some occasions, though, he will listen for several hours and will often suggests songs to play. I love when he actually picks up a uke and plays along. I get it though. It's not HIS main interest, it's MINE.

...I still worry that I might annoy her. When I practice I often play the same tune over and over and over.....

That's something we discussed and I commented to my wife and daughter that they tend to hear me at my worst because they are hearing me learning songs (and tunes on my wind instruments) so I will be making mistakes and, yes when you are learning something new, you have to play it over and over to get it into your head and fingers.

The roles are reversed at my house, my husband has no interest in learning the ukulele but he is supportive of me learning and listens to me practice and play. When he has enough he puts his head phones on and watches tv or whatever. We do not have a lot of similar interests or hobbies but support the other in their endeavors.

My wife goes to the uke club with me to strum a little and sing. She never minds when I play at home and often says "I like that song" or something similar. She also doesn't mind if I play in the middle of the night - it doesn't seem to wake her up.

My daughter is a different story - if I play any stringed instrument when she is in the house it immediately awakens and enrages her - since she just left for the Peace Corps, problem solved.

Top Bottom