PDA

View Full Version : Got Some Ziricote

sequoia
07-08-2016, 08:28 PM
I paid some good money that I couldn't afford for a pretty piece of ziricote. I just love the look of this wood. Not to everyone's taste I understand, but I'm a sucker for grain. Never worked with this stuff before. Initial impression: Very hard, a little brittle, sands well. Actually harder than I thought. Hard as hell.

mainger
07-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Clearly, money well spent. Looking forward to your account of workability, and seeing the finished product.

kohanmike
07-08-2016, 09:18 PM
I love the grain, it's a beaut.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Pretty pattern. What's the grain orientation on that set? Flat sawn?

hawaii 50
07-09-2016, 09:14 AM

does not look like other Zircote I have seen....I am guessing it is flat sawn......

sequoia
07-09-2016, 07:16 PM

I hate to say this Chuck, but I don't know if it is flat sawn or not. I'm guessing it probably is flat sawn. Bending the sides is going to be a big challenge for me. Two things really stress me out: Routing binding and bending sides. Risk and reward is the name of the game. I'm approaching the sides like I would a rattlesnake. I plan on bending it like old people have sex: Very slowly and very carefully.

jcalkin
07-10-2016, 03:37 AM
Like all other really hard, super oily species I've encountered, ziricote is a mess to thickness sand and a pleasure to bend. It requires no special handling and features little or no spring back, keeping in mind that I don't hand bend anything. The grain orientation is so bizarre on most pretty pieces that I don't even check the end grain any more. It turns to powder when routed, rather than chips. I enjoy the aroma these days, though I found it objectionable at first. For awhile I lived near a lumber yard that stocked narrow 1/4" thick pieces, so I used it a lot for fretboards. Great wood, one of my favorites, and it looks like nothing else.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-10-2016, 01:59 PM
I hate to say this Chuck, but I don't know if it is flat sawn or not. I'm guessing it probably is flat sawn. Bending the sides is going to be a big challenge for me. Two things really stress me out: Routing binding and bending sides. Risk and reward is the name of the game. I'm approaching the sides like I would a rattlesnake. I plan on bending it like old people have sex: Very slowly and very carefully.

You can tell how the grain is stacked that at least part of it is flat sawn. Like doug fir plywood in the way the sheaves lay on top of each other. Not ideal for use building but it's very dense wood and can be done if you build when the wood and building conditions are pretty dry. Like John, the only objection I have to it is that it's a mess to sand. Take it slow with the coarsest grits you can use initially. Other that that it bends well. I've always wiped down gluing surfaces with acetone immediately before gluing, much as you would cocobolo but I'm not sure if that's necessary. It is an oily wood so probably a good idea.