Glen Rose ?

frigiliana

Reaction score
Hi i'm thinking of purchasing some Glen Rose Tutorials , can i ask any members what package they bought ? I can't work out which ones to buy i don't really want the playalong discs , i don't consider myself a complete beginner .
Regards Dave

I bought the Jazz books for both tenor and baritone. Glen is an upstanding guy and very willing to help with any questions.

Wonderful playing and singing Simon. Worth the price of Glens books for sure.

Last edited:
I recently bought the first one. I like his approach and ebook format.

I recently bought a couple of his books for baritone ukulele. I find the chord shapes approach he uses very helpful and suggestive. His song examples are very nice and include jazz standards.

Get workbooks one and two and later get the bossa nova book, if you are somewhat experienced. Less experienced players would do well with the videos. I got a lot out of the bossa nova videos in terms of combining melody with chords and also in terms of getting the rhythm right.

The Jazz blues book will show you some nice walk downs and slide ins. You'll get out of the basic twelve bar blues into a more sophisticated feel. You'll use minor sevenths and ninths instead of straight sevenths. You'll even substitute easily fingered 13ths for your sevenths or ninths.

More experienced players will really get a lot out of the Advanced chord video. It really expands your use of sophisticated jazz chords. You really learn how to use nice altered and extended substitutions.

I started writing songs with majors, minors, and sevenths, and the occasional minor seventh. My palette was limited. Now I have so many more colors at my disposal. It's nice to go from champagne ears and beer ability to champagne ears and the champagne ability.

Glen's instruction is wonderful. I now have a much better ability to work with good jazz fake books.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the wonderful and informative responses . I tend to learn better when i can see and hear what i'm aiming at so a combination of Books and Video i ideal for me , I'm a bit confused with the website on the yellow highlighted section there seems to be two videos mentioned with the similar description
"Workshop 1 video " and " Tutorial video workshop 1 " are they stand alone videos ? http://www.jazzyukulele.com/Books.html
Cheers Dave
Sam13 enjoyed your video cracking voice .

Sam13 enjoyed your video cracking voice .

Thanks Dave. I found Glen's books easy to follow and allowed me to sing more quickly with them.

I am not sure if they are stand alone, as I just bought the package.

The videos are different. They use different songs. Here's my five cents:

Get the package with the two videos, the two books and the tracks. You get a substantial discount for buying them together. Do you know how much it costs for a private hour lesson? You get hours and hours from Glen for about $40 bucks. That's a steal and they're high quality.

Yes, he's a friend of mine. Why because I took a class from him years ago and we hit it off. I've bought everything and can't thank him enough. I have always loved standards ( the show tunes that jazz uses as springboards for improvisation) because of their lyrics and melodies. Glen's teaching allowed me to get into that world. I stepped out of folk and rock on to another planet. Cheap spaceship ride.

Tony Mizen can later take you to planet Renaissance music. Craig Brandau and Lyle Ritz can take you to planet chord melody jazz solos, a little farther out in the ukulele jazz universe. Long journeys begin with a single step. Follow Glen!

Somewhere along the line teach yourself to read standard notation. The sooner the better. It won't take long, a couple weeks. It will allow you to read melody lines in fake books. Curt Sheller's book on reading in first position did the trick for me. You'll be able to sing along. And Glen's teaching will make the chords seem much less strange and much less complicated. What it all boils down to is that jazz is filled with repeated patterns. Learn to recognize those patterns. Learn to see that little substitutions make the patterns look different but really they're still the same basic pattern. You'll begin with ii-V and move on to ii-V-I major and minor in four positions in all keys and you'll use and see these pattern in songs. His Advanced Chords starts adding big magic to these basic patterns.

Last edited:
Thanks Kimosabe i really appreciate you taking the time to write your reply, and will take onboard your advise.
Kind Regards

Glen Rose has a unique and different way of teaching. Initially you are more concerned about chords shapes and where they are on the fingerboard than you are names of the chords you're playing. Using his method you will be able to immediately jump into some jazz progressions that'll make you feel quite accomplished without getting into a lot of theory or whatnot. Glen is a great guy and I'm happy to have bought the instructional material I have from him. After buying the jazz volume I purchased the bossa nova one which is really fun.

I have both of his Baritone books for Jazz. Easy to follow and do. I use them for both my baritone tuned uke and standard tuning. Same shapes just different key. My biggest problem is singing the tunes while I'm playing.

I bought his Jazz Blues book and video, he's a great teacher. I had a problem getting the WMV video onto my iPhone. Glen was very helpful and between us we sorted it. Mac users having trouble with the WMV files can use the free OPlayer from the app store. No conversion needed as the WMV plays as is within the app.

I've been really impressed with Glen's stuff. I'm an experienced jazz musician and educator but a uke novice and was looking for the fastest way to get all the "right" chords under my fingers in all twelve keys. I looked at a lot of other stuff and Glen really did a great job teaching the best-sounding voicings that take the least effort to play. I skipped through most of the pages in his books but the reference charts showing all the chords in all the keys were super valuable to me and still are when I forget something. Using those and drilling stuff in all keys sometimes by myself or with Jamey Aebersold play-alongs or other kinds of things advanced me 10x faster than I could have on my own.

Last edited:
Appreciate your reply 2xbass , i'm sold on buying Glen's stuff it was more about whats in the Worksheets and videos.

Top Bottom