200 dollaŕ concert uke

Jerwin

Reaction score
Hello,

I am choosing a uke for my gf's birthday. Budget is quite limited. I know there were planty of threads like this but I am sure there are more to come!

Again, I have to be able to buy this in Eu market. I am considering Luna ukes that seem to have good reputation and nice sound (according to ytube). My gf likes the luna peace uke which I believe is all laminated. I personally like the solid spruce top ukes they produce with the dragonfly or dolphin rosette. Any experience with these?

Or whatever else that is cool for the budget of 200 bucks.

Thanks

I would go for a solid top if your budget can stretch. It sounds like looks are fairly important (and why not :)). This Kala, from Omega Music, looks pretty nifty with the spalted maple imo. And Kala are generally a very good choice at this price point.

If she likes the Luna Maluhia, go for it! She'll be happy, therefore you'll be happy!

I have the LunaIMG_20140818_165531561.jpg Dragonfly solid spruce top bought set up from Hawaiian Music Supply. It is a great uke with nice sustain.

Last edited:
If she likes the Luna Maluhia, go for it! She'll be happy, therefore you'll be happy!

Hello Jerwin. How sweet of you to buy your girlfriend a ukulele. It will be a wonderful gift she will treasure always. I agree with UkerDanno, above. Despite the fact that you wish to get her the best uke your money can buy, her heart will be warmed that you listened and bought her the uke of her choice.

The Luna Peace design is very meaningful. She will feel that sentiment, and express that sentiment, every time she plays this ukulele that you gave her.

Thanks for opinions. The Gretsch is nice and plays great, I've had the oportunity to try it once, very nice intruments.

I'll get day off work next friday and we'll have a trip to Prague to check those Luna's out. She rly likes the peace uke for quite some time. It's bascily all about the looks in this case. I just don't know about the volume of the uke. She plays in front of a crowd time to time with no amplification (she's primarily an accordeon player).

We'll see. I'll share an experience after the shopping. :)

Thanks a lot again!

The Luna Peace ukulele is the Maluhia, ukulele ... it is the name in Hawaiian for peace.. its a great ukulele, I tried them at Hawaii Music Hawaii...play them first before you buy, they may all sound a bit different.. some sound better than others..in fact take your girlfriend and let her choose, it make a big difference she chooses one that she like in tone

Since you're in Europe, I'd consider buying one from Hora in Romania. The factory will sell you one directly if you contact them. Solid instruments, good quality, and very inexpensive (€73 for a solid mahogany tenor is amazing, though personally I'd consider the spruce/walnut one for a different tone). They don't do concerts, but I believe their tenors are smaller than usual (their baritons are, too).

Keep in mind that an accordion is much much louder than a uke. Accordions need no amplification to play in a crowd. Ukuleles do, unless everyone in the crowd plays one. She may be attracted to it for its looks, but she might have to have a pre-amp installed.

The Luna Peace ukulele is the Maluhia, ukulele ... it is the name in Hawaiian for peace.. its a great ukulele, I tried them at Hawaii Music Hawaii...play them first before you buy, they may all sound a bit different.. some sound better than others..in fact take your girlfriend and let her choose, it make a big difference she chooses one that she like in tone

I am afraid I won't be able to choose amongst many. They have 1 in shop and a few others in a storehouse which is somewhere else than the shop.

Top Bottom