Cocobolo Pineapple Strings?

OhioBelle

Reaction score
Sorry for starting another string thread when there's one going on, but this one is specific to the Cocobolo and I wanted Nickie and Jim (and other Cocobolo Owners) to see it

What strings do you like on yours? I have Aquila Reds on right now, mainly because I'd never tried them, and because I loved the color with that wood.

Now I'm feeling the urge to switch. They sound nice, but I'm not liking the feel. Too thin and tight.

I had two Cocobolo ukuleles. I found that I really liked Aquila Lavas. They had a little higher tension and really drove the dense Cocobolo top. If you wanted lower tension, look at Southcoast. They have a great variety of strings and I'm sure you could find some you like.

Thanks for the reply, WCB. I have Lavas on my Pono and like them a lot.

I know that Cocobolo rosewood is an unusual choice for a top, which is why I am specifically curious about other owner's experience. I will order some Southcoast, and maybe another set of Lavas to try!

I just don't like the feel of Aquila (but have never tried the Lavas). The stock Aquilas did have a pleasant warm sound though. My go-to string is Southcoast and I wanted to try D tuning, so I put the Soft Light set on. I much prefer the feel, and the sound is bright and different, which isn't a bad thing, but.... but I'm going to move back to C tuning with the Soft Light Medium set next and see if I can get some of the warmth back.

Note that mine is 16" scale so you may need to adjust your string set depending on your scale length, tuning choice, and feel preference.

Thanks, Jim. My Pineapple's scale is also 16 inches. I've been studying the Southcoast charts, and have decided to try both the Soft Medium And Soft Light Medium. I'm also throwing in a set of Extra Lights to try on my new Sopranissimo.

I love my Pineapple so much! The string hunt will be fun! Thanks again!

Curious to see how you like the Soft Medium vs Soft Light Medium. Are you going for C tuning with both? I use the Soft Medium for Bb tuning on 17" tenor scale and really like it there, so that's why I decided to go one set thinner for C tuning on 16" - I guess we'll see how that theory pans out in practice.

Hey Jim,

I was already on the Southcoast site, going back and forth between those sets, when I read your first post. I was leaning towards SMU, so decided I might as well get both and see what happens! In addition to the scale, there's that hardwood top to consider.

I love this uke so much!

OhioBelle, glad to see that you Love your Cocobolo. I switched to Lavas too, and I like the tone a little more than the Aquila whites it used to have. I think they look pretty cool too.
I was gonna try some Worth Browns but I was afraid they'd be too warm. Maybe next time it'll be Southcoast.
Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Hi Nickie. You're the second person putting Lavas on. I'm definitely giving those a try. I've also got both Worth Brown and Clears waiting in the wings.

I haven't pushed the "order" button yet on the Southcoasts. This afternoon while rustling around in my stash I found a set of D'Addario nylons, the Ej65s. Why not? Never tried honest-to-goodness nylon before. I put em on. they're thick! But I like em! I think... Warm and lush.

Still stretching of course, so I shall report back.

The Sputhcoasts are still on my list.

I have D'adderios with a low G on my Tenor, and Worth clears on my Concert. Love 'em, but I am open to other options. Aquila, didn't care for, but I think they were the super nylguts.

Top Bottom