Help - Brushing sound on down strum after A string

greatone88

Reaction score
I just purchased a Lanikai CKCGC Concert and I am now hearing a brushing noise on my down strum. The noise comes from my index finger brushing the body after getting past the A string. I did not have that issue with my Tenor as it has a cutout at the bottom of the fretboard.

I have a big belly and my Uke is at an angle towards me which could be the issue. Is there anything else I can try? I did notice that when I brush the body on my Tenor with my finger it makes a very faint brushing noise and when I do that on my Concert, the noise is about 20 times louder. Can I/Should I do something to the finish of the Concert to make it like the Tenor's finish ?

I suppose I could strum higher up on the fretboard to avoid the body with my follow through, but that doesn't feel right.

Thanks,
Jim

There was a great thread on strumming in the beginner's area a couple of days ago, which has a link to a video in it. In said vid James Hill discusses strumming, it's very educational. My guess is that you have an angle on your strum and are thus not hitting the strings equally so there would be double benefit in working on your technique :)!

Last edited:
I am guessing you are new to ukulele playing and are discovering all kinds of different things. It really does boil down to technique. If you don't like the results you are getting then it is time to change something. The old saying "if you want something to change you have to change something" would apply here.

Either strum above the neck body joint (I do), sit up straight and get your instrument flatter or change your strummimg movement. It does take time and concentrated effort to make a change but it is worth it.

Top Bottom