Alternative to tabs?

whistleman123

Reaction score
I've been slowly and enjoyably working my way through "50 Easy Uke Chord Solos" by Gerry Long. In it he introduces an inovative notation method which I really like.

When he wants a chord played the chord diagram is above that note. Above other melody notes appears a series of 3 numbers. First number is the string, second number is the fret, and third number indicates which finger to use. I actually like this system better than tabs.

Do you think this method could gain some traction? Here's a pic from his book.

I don't know why UU software always turn my pics on there sides. Sorry!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I pondered a similar problem the other day but came at it from the other direction. I marked the individual notes up in tab, and then put chord names in where I wanted to play the whole chord.

I can't say I'm a fan of being told which finger to use to play a particular note. Everyone has their own favoured way of playing certain chords, and often the same chord shape needs different fingering depending on what the transition is to or from that chord.

I can't see it very well, but it looks like chord notation to me, which is used in Jim Beloff's Daily Ukulele and Leap Year Edition, at the top of each song.
Reading Tabs isn't hard, but I want to read notes instead, so more stuff is available to me.

But away from first position, I prefer to replace 4-digit chord notation with relative notation: p:nnnn.
I haven't seen that idea but I LIKE it! Arpeggiated tab is the worst to me. I see a series of 6454 notes and I don't immediately think "barre 4, F". But 4:2010 is obvious. #whydidntithinkofthat #foreheadsmack :cool:

Top Bottom