Grooves in finger tips making it hard to play

Reaction score
I am seriously losing my mind here. I have deep grooves on my finger tips every time I play which won't completely go away. Also my fingers tips are just slipping off the strings. Please I need to know how to get rid off these grooves. It started a couple of weeks ago when I had quite thick calluses.

Last edited:
I am seriously losing my mind here. I have deep grooves on my finger tips every time I play which won't completely go away. Also my fingers tips are just slipping off the strings. Please I need to know how to get rid off these grooves. It started a couple of weeks ago when I had quite thick calluses.
Some guitar players lightly sand their callouses with an emery board or sand paper. I have never done that. I would caution you to do it lightly, and see if you are just shaping the callous. If it seems not normal, maybe you should check with a doctor.

–Lori

If they were callused, you probably wore away the middle of the callus with the string. I'd vote for the emery board solution.

I have tried that but I don't know if it has made a difference. Would hand cream help?

I have tried that but I don't know if it has made a difference. Would hand cream help?

If the problem is that the skin around is calloused so it's creating a groove down the middle, it might soften up all the skin to where it "bounces back" in the middle eventually, but it could also make it where the strings dig in more.

OK because I started putting it on at night since yesterday. I'll see if it makes a difference.

OK because I started putting it on at night since yesterday. I'll see if it makes a difference.
I find I have to put hand lotion on my fingertips and nails every evening before bed. If I skip a day, I can see the difference, especially in how my nails weaken and become brittle. The lotion also works on the upkeep for nice smooth hydrated callouses. No more worries when I go swimming.

–Lori

How old are you Jay? That might help us help you.

Often times when there are indentations left in the body it is because of dehydration. General rule of thumb is 8x8oz of fluids per day.

You can shave your callous down

Sorry to be picky, but as a nurse I cannot recommend this. Many people have infected themselves cutting on their own hands and feet. I'd rather hear that you used a pummice stone and lotion on your callouses.

Maybe you're just pressing too hard on the strings when you play. That might be caused by the strings being too high (the action). Maybe bring the uke into a store that does setup and see what they say.

Maybe you're just pressing too hard on the strings when you play. That might be caused by the strings being too high (the action). Maybe bring the uke into a store that does setup and see what they say.

There's noting wrong with the action. But I think my fingers tips are getting better. I've had a break for a few day's and have been putting cream on my fingers every night, also I have filed down the grooves.

I just get grooves on my fingertips so easily, I don't think I'll ever be able to play again.

Top Bottom