PDA

View Full Version : John Adams

ebrian
04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Anyone see the seven-series John Adams on HBO? I've been recommending it to everyone I know, as I totally loved it. Admittedly I'm a history nut so I am biased, but if you haven't checked it out - it's fantastic! :cool:

Spooner
04-14-2009, 01:58 PM
It was a very awesome series indeed!

I own the dvd set now.

ebrian
04-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Did you check out the "Painting with Words" extra? It's pretty sweet. David McCullough is one of my favorite authors.

Spooner
04-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Did you check out the "Painting with Words" extra? It's pretty sweet. David McCullough is one of my favorite authors.

No I havent seen any of the extras...or the dvd. I just got it a few weeks ago as a present but I watched faithfully on HoBO.

They did a great job on David Morse as GW. The acting was stellar too. A great book to screen job.

ebrian
04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
No I havent seen any of the extras...or the dvd. I just got it a few weeks ago as a present but I watched faithfully on HoBO.

They did a great job on David Morse as GW. The acting was stellar too. A great book to screen job.

I agree! He played a very convincing Washington. I especially liked the inauguration scene when everyone had to lean forward to hear him speak. Good stuff.

I also think Tom Wilkinson as Ben Franklin was an awesome choice.

Ukulele JJ
04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I thought the series was brilliant. I almost mentioned it in the thread on "movies that made you cry". I mean, you know what's coming, but still... :( Maybe I'm just an old softie.

Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney are two of my all-time fave actors, so it was great to see them working together. Tom Wilkinson was Benjamin Franklin. And I've been a David Morse fan since "St. Elsewhere".

I could've done without those "Batman" camera angles though...

I highly recommend watching it (or rewatching it) with the pop-up factoid option turned on. Good stuff!

JJ

P.S. Just the other week I got a chance to see David McCullough give a talk here in town. He was great! Quite funny and thought-provoking.

ebrian
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
I thought the series was brilliant. I almost mentioned it in the thread on "movies that made you cry". I mean, you know what's coming, but still... :( Maybe I'm just an old softie.

Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney are two of my all-time fave actors, so it was great to see them working together. Tom Wilkinson was Benjamin Franklin. And I've been a David Morse fan since "St. Elsewhere".

I could've done without those "Batman" camera angles though...

I highly recommend watching it (or rewatching it) with the pop-up factoid option turned on. Good stuff!

JJ

P.S. Just the other week I got a chance to see David McCullough give a talk here in town. He was great! Quite funny and thought-provoking.

Ha! I thought about the same thing! I got a bit misty (with pride dang it!) when Adams delivered his "While I live, give me a country! A FREE Country" speech to congress. And Abigail's death was pretty heart-breaking for sure.

I am green with envy sir! Mr. McCullough would be great to hear speak.

veep
05-02-2009, 07:28 AM
it rocks !!