Martin 2 hog line?

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Surprisingly, I can't seem to find any general discussion or for sale/sold on the newer Martin 2 ukes on this site.
Maybe my phone (my only internet access right now) isn't allowing me a proper search.
Can anyone link me up with previous convo? Thx!

In short: they suck.

Lol. There's. Been convo, both here and in four string farmhouse forum at Martin website. Too much info to repost, but yeah, there've been long UU threads on all newer Martins. Some like them, some hate them. All love vintage pre-1960 Martins.

I own some newer Martins only to be a completist in my collection. They have lovely low string action and intonation, but are overbuilt and not nearly as resonant as the lightly constructed Martins of yore. I have weighed them on a scale and the new ones are, quite literally, 30% heavier. It's not just dried and aged woods, it's the entire bracing (and the care in manufacture) that is the reason. Last I heard, and others mentioned it in the old threads from last year, Martin was throttling back on new Nazareth sopranos, completely abandoning some models in 2015. Sad testament to overbuilt, overpriced newer models in a time when uke popularity continues to wane and thus outstanding vintage Martins can be had for less than the new models.

Ymmv. Give one a whirl if you spot a deal.

Last edited:
In short: they suck.
Whoa ,whoa,whoa , stop the clock, ...........thats kinda stong. ( Hello Coolkayaker by the way )
I cant comment on the new style 2 but I have two SO's which I really like
and an OXK . The new Martins have a different voice from the old ones,
doesn't mean it's bad , just different. That said I would rather a vintage
than new , not because the new ones arent good , the old ones are better.
They both sound like ukuleles .

Last edited:
I really enjoy playing my 0XK, but it is the heaviest uke I own (including the concerts). I haven't picked up a new solid Martin recently, so yes, YMMV.

^^^ That's a smokin' deal!

Why pre- 1960? My 1961 model O Martin soprano is LOUD, woody, and sweet...

My bad. I should have said pre-1950. Something different (and not as good) about those post 1950 models...Martin reshaped the neck, I think. Fatter. Different profile. Slightly heavier than those of pre-1950 (and in this case it may have some dried wood factor to the aged sound improvement).

But, no worries: your 1961 is much better than the 2010-onward Nazareth jobbies. Much.

Pete, you always make me howl.

I actually really enjoy the newer martins, and have owned some from every generation. While their MSRP is over priced, they sound great for a soprano uke. Funny thing, I would think that since everybody says they sound like s** that there would be ones for sale frequently on the used market but they hardly come up. I found a 3K, 3C, and 2M soprano at great prices and haven't regretted purchasing any, and love playing them often. I guess I don't fear I'm going to bust one of them like the older ones, which I always felt I was going to. The ones from years past sound amazing though.

I'm a fan of the older Martins. I like the way they sound and feel. Yes, you can actually feel them vibrating in your arms.
I have no fear of busting them as lighter is not necessarily weaker. I wouldn't play pingpong with one, where the newer ones could probably hold up under a few smashes in average competition and would sound awesome.

The one and only reason I don't buy a Martin, vintage or new, is price.

uke popularity continues to wane

I find this hard to beleive. I recruit at least one new TBUS member every two months. And our membership is now at 1,350.

SamUke, I was kinda thinking the same thing. Although they're certainly not selling at MRSP, whoever does own them don't seem to sell. There is nothing out there. (Although the one I linked is described as 'mint', it is actually new old stock, not 'used'.)

SamUke, I was kinda thinking the same thing. Although they're certainly not selling at MRSP, whoever does own them don't seem to sell. There is nothing out there. (Although the one I linked is described as 'mint', it is actually new old stock, not 'used'.)

I don't believe Martin sold too many of them in the first place. Hence few in resale, and hence Martin's decision to stop making several of the models in 2015.

Ok, time for Petey to chime in since I actually have bought all the new style 2 sopranos, tenors, and concerts (6 ukes).

I agree with my old friend Steve (coolkayaker1) on most things, but the heaviness doesn't bother me at all. Their high price has been the most restrictive thing most likely when there are just so many ukes and most players don't want to spend like that! Even I, who only ever owned crappy guitars all my life (my most expensive guitar was a $600 Fender acoustic) pushed my own limits by buying $1200 ukes back in 2013!!! Friggin' bananas on my part! Steve would agree on that one! hehe

These new style 2 are good if they produce the sound and playability that you want. It's the sound I want. However, Martin took the sopranos out of their production lines. My style 2 mahogany soprano is still for me my main banger uke, but I prefer the style 3 cherry for most stuff. The 2K tenor is my fav. tenor of all time. I play it all the time. The concert 2K is my fav. concert, but I only play it at uke jams. Those are the four ukes I would save if there was a fire in my building. Funny, since we did have a real fire a month ago and I only grabbed my 3 cherry and my iPhone!!! lol

cheerio!

Petey

Top Bottom