Claw hammer resources

Piecomics

Reaction score
So, I got Aaron Keim's claw hammer book which has been a revelation for me. I have developed a 15 min performance repertoire based on it and absolutely love it, and generally enjoy claw hammer. I'm not sure where to go now. I guess my two goals are to find more resources to play that are written for claw hammer, and to understand how to modify existing tab/play songs by ear.

Any thoughts?

Hi, does the book come with a DVD and how much did you pay? I'd love to learn clawhammer.

Hi, does the book come with a DVD and how much did you pay? I'd love to learn clawhammer.

Nickie, Keim publishes YouTube videos for nearly every page of the book. You can check out some of his stuff on his webpage and see if you like his style. I sure do.

So, I got Aaron Keim's claw hammer book which has been a revelation for me. I have developed a 15 min performance repertoire based on it and absolutely love it, and generally enjoy claw hammer. I'm not sure where to go now. I guess my two goals are to find more resources to play that are written for claw hammer, and to understand how to modify existing tab/play songs by ear.

Any thoughts?

I too started clawhammer on the ukulele with Aaron's e-book ... good stuff ... are you aware he's re-published it with some re-arrangements and new videos ?

My other clawhammer resource for the ukulele is Barry Sholder's book "Thumpin' on the Old-Time Uke" https://www.amazon.com/Thumpin-Old-time-Uke-Clawhammer-Tablature/dp/1478314613 . The tab style he uses is very similar to that used by Aaron, so you should have no trouble reading it, but I'm unaware of any support media for it, CD, DVD or on-line.

Having "come to grips" with the basics of the style, I find myself being able to apply the technique to the backing strum of many older-style folk songs, "Sweet William and Lady Margaret", "Pretty Polly", "Farewell to Tarwathie (AKA Farewell Angelina)", "House Carpenter" and Bob Dylan's "North Country Blues", to name just a few of my favourites :)

Enjoy ... it's worth the effort ;)

Last edited:
Sholder has many videos on youtube, but none of them seem to be instructional. Just want to be sure you know you can slow down the tutorials on youtube.

I like Richard Hefner on ezfolk.com: He goes slowly, and he's very informative.

I have Barry Sholder's book, but I just couldn't get into it. It's filed away.

When I was still playing CH on Ukes, I used Aaron Keim's book. It was very helpful. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom