New Binding Tape from SMD

sequoia

Reaction score
R.I.P. brown binding tape from SMD. Discontinued. I liked/hated that stuff. It did however have holding power, that was for sure. Would rip holes in your top if you didn't shellac. However what I disliked most about it was the lack of elasticity. Maybe this stuff is better. Has anybody tried it? Gotta be better. Plus it comes orange!

Fullscreen capture 7112016 80738 PM.jpg

Lot of ways to skin the cat. I mostly use Ace Hardware Brand Masking Tape (99 cents on sale) anymore. I have heard of people using wet Yak skin to good effect... I guess the bottom line is that if your binding channel isn't right, no amount of tape, flat tire tubes or Yak skin is gonna make that thing flush and tight.

I wanted to try that scotch 3m green tape. I saw a video of someone use it to join plates as well but it is not available in the uk for some reason and to get it posted from the states via Amazon is crazy! One seller price was £45! I wonderer if there is an similar tape available in the UK.

I wanted to try that scotch 3m green tape. I saw a video of someone use it to join plates as well but it is not available in the uk for some reason and to get it posted from the states via Amazon is crazy! One seller price was £45! I wonderer if there is an similar tape available in the UK.
Wilko's blue masking tape is what I use and it works for me, and it's a lot cheaper than 3M. I think it's about £2.99 for the 25mm roll.

I love the Scotch green tape. It is called here Scotch 233+. I have no idea what the + stands for. Maybe it is EXTRA SPECIAL PLUS good. Anyway, it is automotive tape sold in automotive stores for sticking on fenders and carburetors I suppose. I use it to joint plates into tops and backs. Very springy. Cost: about two bucks U.S. Could be better. Not quite stretchy enough.

DSCN7080-001.jpg

If I still lived in Canada, I wouldn't hesitate to buy 3M green tape. However in Australia it can be as much as $9 per roll for the 3/4 inch variety. It's actually cheaper for me to plan an order from StewMac and buy their binding tape at 10 rolls a time and pay the exchange and shipping.

Top Bottom