View Full Version : This has never happened before!

07-12-2016, 02:13 AM
I have just removed a set of bindings from the LMI bender to find they are glued absolutely solidly together. Usual process - tape the bindings together, lightly spray with water, wrap in aluminium foil and bend at ~300 F.

These are commercially manufactured bindings with the purfling strip already glued on. I can only assume the glue used had been somewhat enthusiastically applied and had soaked into the entire strip. All edges were affected, not just where purfling met purfling.

There was one small gap where I could insert a razor blade, but the joint wasn't going to part using just the blade. I had to resort to the hot air gun and a scalpel. Now they are apart you can see the glue over each edge. I've got several sets of these bindings, so will have to be very careful in future!

07-12-2016, 07:05 AM
Wow...That's something you couldn't make happen if you wanted to. They look kinda nice all glued together. Add a few more strips and make the whole side like that