BUSKING, no amp, which is louder BANJOLELE or RESONATOR?

Booli

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

Just as the title says...

if you want to go BUSKING on the street corner WITHOUT the help of electronics, just you and the uke...

1. Which is LOUDER - banjolele or resonator uke?

2. Does scale length matter relative to LOUDNESS?

3. Is this a realistic expectation, or one that is malformed because you wont be heard above the din of the crowds and environmental noise?

Please, tell me what you think...

Mahalo,

Booli

I'd have to say certain banjoleles by far! I've heard several banjoleles that are loud! I've heard some resonators and never thought of them as loud. Some banjoleles are louder than others, the ones with a big "resonator" on the back are louder!

Regardless of which is louder, either will work well. As always, depends on which banjo vs which reso. My Goldtone metal bodied reso uke sounds large, my Rally concert with full resonator back sounds huge.

I think my Firefly - which can play soft and sweet - is louder on the strum than my National Resophonic - which conversely seems louder when I finger pick.

But now that I think of it, I've only played the National outside on one or two occasions, while the Firefly joins me at any gig or Open Mic. It is a must for me when I play "Glendale Train", Daisy A Day", or "Gentle On My Mind", three completely different songs.

The National demands to be played on "Big Bad Bill" and "Old Me Better"...

-Kurt​

As far as moderately priced production instruments go the banjolele is way louder. Some may have boutique resonators that are loud yet I have good quality timber ukuleles that are louder than the resonator ukuleles that I have played.

I mostly busk amplified but sometimes I take my banjolele out to busk un-amplified and its easily loud enough. I do have a loud voice though so I can easily sing un-amplified when I want to

Anthony

Last edited:
They ae small, take both. :)

That's what I was going to say. Other things to consider, banjo ukes do well in colder weather, but depending on the head, maybe not so much when it's very damp or humid outdoors.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of banjo, & I have known others like me, who will want to get as far away as possible if there is one about in a shopping centre. :uhoh:

Another thing you want to think about is will your voice carry over a loud instrument?

I have a banjolele with a resonator body and I find it too loud to sing comfortably over. OTOH there are banjoleles that are quieter which you probably could sing over.

Most resonator ukes I've heard are not too bad in that respect but I've found that resonator guitars quite often drown the singer's voice. I think it may be that the resonator in a uke is smaller so amplifies less than a guitar. My banjolele has a full size banjo head which is probably why it's so loud.

I think you'll probably be OK with a regular uke if you have, say, a tenor with a good sized body so it's loud enough to play outside but doesn't drown out your voice. I looked at Linda's review of the Outdoor Uke yesterday and that looks like it could be a good choice. Decent tone, loud enough and weatherproof! I'd be tempted to busk with my Korala explore for the same reasons - in spite of its faults.

If your going to sing while you busk un-amplified, you are going to have to sing LOUD, which will balance nicely with a LOUD instrument such as a banjolele.

If you intend to sing while busking un-amplified and you can't sing loudly then you should rethink the venture.

Anthony

1. Which is LOUDER - banjolele or resonator uke?

Banjolele is louder.

2. Does scale length matter relative to LOUDNESS?

Not really.

3. Is this a realistic expectation, or one that is malformed because you wont be heard above the din of the crowds and environmental noise?

You will be heard, even in open air and among people strolling and chatting along. There's a lot of other busking tricks that help be heard: make sure there's a reflecting surface behind you (a window pane, a concrete wall), make your songs interesting lyric-wise and musically speaking, have something visual about you that says 'look over here', make eye contact with some people in your audience.

Comparing a banjo ukulele to the first Australian Galvo resonator uke in the USA,with Aquila reds and a Johnson chrome plated body with white reentrant Aquila strings defines the resonators, but does not define the three styles of banjo ukes. The open back will be the most muffled because nearly of the sound from th back is absorbed by clothing and the human body. a simple back plated spaced away from the body reflects the sound up-down and to the side. It is great if you want to hear yourself. The ones with the reflector which extends an inch wider than the body, and has the grille which diercts the sound directly to the front, costs the most and has the most frontal projection. It is also the heaviest, and really should be strapped. An open backed tenor banjo can easily have a plate added to the back, andreflect the sound. A 10 inch pot will out sound the screen reflected 8 inch headed uke. The tenor also costs less It really talks!! I will not publicly discuss $$, but the open tenor which is very easily flat backed would be my choice. It has command presence. (17 frets)

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of banjo, & I have known others like me, who will want to get as far away as possible if there is one about in a shopping centre. :uhoh:

A banjo, and a banjo uke are two very different instruments.

There are wide differences in banjo ukes - the firefly is fairly quiet. The deering has a big voice with a little depth. I've played briefly at a local store on a Gold Tone with a brass tone ring - it could take paint off the walls.

In general, the more structure in a banjo (that is, the heavier the rim and associated hardware), the louder it is.

My tiny unmarked chrome and wood 20's banjolele is certainly the loudest instrument I own. As Ive stated elsewhere put a sock in it does nothing to this tiny wonder unless you are stopping the skin from vibrating.

It also has a very distinctive sound which is better for a certain music style. Old tin pan alley or mountain music sounds great. As the head is only 7 or 8 inches across I really dont think size matters much at all.

I need to get that little thing out the wooden friction pegs slip a lot, never did search out any peg dope or put my set of Aquila Red AQ-90's on.

I recently did a busking gig playing my 8-string Lanikai O-8 with a plastic guitar pick (the horror!), and it could be heard a block away.

Another factor to consider is which instrument suits your songs (and your voice) better.

Good luck, Booli!

- FiL

Top Bottom