Ukulele University advice

Lakedog

Reaction score
So going to Ukulele University for the first time tomorrow in Bend Oregon. Just wanted to see what workshops were all about, get some exposure to other players and just check it out.

Packing for the trip and was wondering if anyone has gone in the past and has any general advice. Was breaking out my hardshell case and wondering if a softer gig-bag might be better given all the folks and stuff likely to be there. Thoughts? Anything else I should carry to make life easier? Thoughts on getting the most from the talks?

Looking forward to this, something new and different.

Have fun. I just attended the Midwest Uke Camp near Detroit and it was a blast.

Depending on the setup of the workshops, sometimes bringing your own music stand is a good idea. Also, bring a few clothes pins so you can attach the music to the seat in front of you because you may not always have a desk in front of you. A softer case will make it easier to store when you are in the room with others as you may be able to squish it under the desk or on the the side of where you are set up. Make sure you can record some of what is going on. Most people's phones are terrific for this.

Definitely take classes with Sarah and Craig. Sarah makes playing just plain fun and her enthusiasm for the Uke is a wonderful thing to watch and Craig is an incredible teacher and makes you feel that you CAN do this too. Jim DeVille has a lively class and will keep you smiling. Aaron Keim is a legend in the Uke world with his association with Mya-Moe and his unique writing style with his instruction books. I haven't seen the others, but I am assuming if they are in this class, they deserve to be there.

Attend the concerts, and if you are shy, get over it. Join people, play, participate, and have fun.

We look forward to hearing about your great time.

Top Bottom