PDA

View Full Version : Free KoAloha tenor ukulele

wickedwahine11
07-14-2016, 01:57 PM
KoAloha have been so generous with me. I owed them for the ukulele they recently built for me, and when I tried to pay, they told me the cost was the book I wrote for them. I am so incredibly blessed to have received not one, but two, gifts of incredible ukulele. So here is the thing, I can only play one ukulele at a time. I also wish to pass the blessing onwards. So, I have decided to gift someone with one of the tenors. I am struck with something Alan Okami said about KoAloha instruments, just because you can't afford one, doesn't mean you don't deserve one. So I would like to offer free one beautiful sounding, gorgeous looking KoAloha KTM-00 tenor ukulele to someone that will make her sing, and treasure her. If you, or anyone you know, deserves a KoAloha but cannot afford one, let me know why you want it. I am sorry to limit this to the United States, as it would be difficult to send internationally. I also admit I would prefer to give it to someone in Southern California. My car needs a new timing belt and it would be nice not to have to pay for shipping. That being said, if the right person is outside of SoCal, I am willing to consider them. Please let me find someone that will give this lovely instrument the voice it deserves. I would like to find its new owner by next week, so please give me your request or nomination by Sunday July 24th. All I ask is that it go to someone that does not have sn ukulele of similar value - I want this to be owned by someone that deserves it, but cannot afford an ukulele of its caliber.

dkcrown
07-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Perfect Staci. Paying it forward. The Okamis will surely approve. :)

Inksplosive AL
07-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Well unfortunately the only person I would nominate is across the pond, "bird's eye view of my ukelele". If you would consider her I would kick in the shipping to get it there. Otherwise if it were a soprano I would be doing my best to butter you up for myself but alas I own an old well loved concert size KoAloha I stole for $100 that gets no play as it is.

Good luck to whomever gets this uke it is very nice of you to spread the love like this.

:cool:

lakesideglenn
07-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Wow ... What generosity!
I hope this uke finds a good home!
Cheers!

PeteyHoudini
07-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Very nice of you! You're my kind of person! 8-)

Petey

dwh
07-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Wow! Incredibly generous!
Pm sent!

robinboyd
07-14-2016, 03:03 PM
That's incredibly generous. I'm afraid I don't fit the bill for your intended recipient, but best of luck to whoever ends up with it.

JMort847
07-14-2016, 03:12 PM
An outstanding gesture, Staci, that embodies the KoAloha Ohana spirit! Mahalo!

Kyle23
07-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Amazing, this really made me want to go pick mine up and I've been having trouble doing that lately. I know he wouldn't agree but DownUpDave is very deserving. He has some great ukes, however and I'm not sure if you're looking for someone who doesn't have access to those types of instruments. I can't wait to see who you pick though.

Edit- Yeah I just read the last sentence. Sorry Dave haha.

MDL
07-14-2016, 04:16 PM
What a wonderful gesture of gratitude and kindness!

Pueo
07-14-2016, 04:20 PM
What a wonderful idea!
Although I have yet to meet any of the Okami ohana in person, I am sure they will approve.
I have played a couple of KoAlohas that have sounded amazing.

DownUpDave
07-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Amazing, this really made me want to go pick mine up and I've been having trouble doing that lately. I know he wouldn't agree but DownUpDave is very deserving. He has some great ukes, however and I'm not sure if you're looking for someone who doesn't have access to those types of instruments. I can't wait to see who you pick though.

Edit- Yeah I just read the last sentence. Sorry Dave haha.

It's all good brother, thanks for the props. I am glad Staci's message hit home and has you picking up your beautiful Koaloha concert. Play it in the spirit in which it was conceived.

You truly show the Aloha spirit Stacey......well done.

Patrick Madsen
07-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Can we nominate you Staci?

wickedwahine11
07-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Can we nominate you Staci?

Hahaha!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I just would really hate to see this uke go unplayed and it would not sit well in my heart to sell it. I appreciate the nominations that are coming in, I can guarantee it will go to a good home. I am only sorry I have but one KoAloha to give. Best wishes to all of you.

bacchettadavid
07-14-2016, 06:41 PM
I nominate Austin Raffipiy.

Link to some of his playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTUkXPGyy7M

He hosted a couple of workshops at the South Florida Ukulele Festival in March of this year. Back then, he was playing a Lanikai and was a poor college student enrolled at University of Miami. I'm fairly certain that the Ko'olau he is playing in that video is not his own, but I could be wrong.

He's not located in Southern California, but assuming he's still stuck playing the Lanikai, I believe he's certainly deserving of a high-quality ukulele.

mds725
07-14-2016, 07:08 PM
What a great idea, Staci. I wish I had someone to nominate. I'm extremely fortunate, and most of my friends have at least one ukulele that either is or is similar to a KoAloha. You can always contact a Bay Area group called Ukes for Kids. The group ordinarily finds less expensive ukuleles for children and young adults who can't afford their own, but a while ago it found a wonderful and loving home for another higher end ukulele. Here's alink to its website.

http://www.ukesforkids.com/

Mahalo for the Aloha! I'm sure that whoever gets this ukulele will cherish it not only as a superb musical instrument but as a symbol of the huge heart and generosity that led the ukulele to him or her.

Ukulele Eddie
07-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Very cool of you. I'm sure it will land in deserving and appreciative hands!

kohanmike
07-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Not just an example of generosity and the spirit of the Okami family, but also of a high standing member of the Ukulele Underground. Bravo Staci. One person that came to mind with your offer is Cassie, the sight impaired member in South Carolina who recently got her first uke and as short a time as she's spent playing, has already performed for a group of kids. She seems to have the spirit, but getting the uke to her, especially past the restrictions of her mother might be a problem.

hawaii 50
07-14-2016, 07:55 PM
What a great idea, Staci. I wish I had someone to nominate. I'm extremely fortunate, and most of my friends have at least one ukulele that either is or is similar to a KoAloha. You can always contact a Bay Area group called Ukes for Kids. The group ordinarily finds less expensive ukuleles for children and young adults who can't afford their own, but a while ago it found a wonderful and loving home for another higher end ukulele. Here's alink to its website.

http://www.ukesforkids.com/

Mahalo for the Aloha! I'm sure that whoever gets this ukulele will cherish it not only as a superb musical instrument but as a symbol of the huge heart and generosity that led the ukulele to him or her.

Staci..this is the group that my friend Jen donated her Ko'aloha to....it went to someone who would never be able to buy one and they made a video of the person who got it...you can tell he really loved the uke...such a nice thing to do.....you are one of the best....

hawaii 50
07-14-2016, 08:00 PM
What a wonderful idea!
Although I have yet to meet any of the Okami ohana in person, I am sure they will approve.
I have played a couple of KoAlohas that have sounded amazing.

yeah Damon..i got to hang with Staci today and with the Okami's....Pops Ko'aloha was so moved he had tears in his eyes.....priceless...:)

PhilUSAFRet
07-15-2016, 12:51 AM
Awesome gesture. I know there are ukers out there with little hope of ever being able to afford one. Hope it makes it to one of them.

PhilUSAFRet
07-15-2016, 12:55 AM
Well unfortunately the only person I would nominate is across the pond, "bird's eye view of my ukelele". If you would consider her I would kick in the shipping to get it there. Otherwise if it were a soprano I would be doing my best to butter you up for myself but alas I own an old well loved concert size KoAloha I stole for $100 that gets no play as it is.

Good luck to whomever gets this uke it is very nice of you to spread the love like this.

:cool:

$100 KoAloha concert...my kind of deal.

guitharsis
07-15-2016, 01:01 AM
Pay it forward. The Aloha spirit. Wonderful, Staci! Will pm you the name of someone I think is deserving.

Kyle23
07-15-2016, 01:06 AM
I'm just glad I already got my KoAloha. I can't imagine how stressed I would be waiting to see if I got picked :eek:

Tudorp
07-15-2016, 01:23 AM
Awesome...

Mivo
07-15-2016, 01:30 AM
Very kind of you, thank you for doing this. Someone will be very happy, and floored by both the sound and the generosity. :) (I don't fit the bill!)

MickeyD
07-15-2016, 04:15 AM
I also don't fit the bill - I've got more than enough ukes, but felt the need to chime in and reiterate that this is a wonderful gesture! I know whoever gets it will give it the attention it deserves!

EmmaQ
07-15-2016, 05:16 AM
I know someone! She lives in Quincy, CA and I'll be happy to pay the shipping costs if the ukulele goes to her. She's a young girl who I've had the pleasure of seeing perform several times at our local open mic performances. Her love of ukulele and music shows itself whenever she gets up there on the stage. Shes playing in front of a mostly adult audience so in her shyness, she rarely looks up but I can see the concentration AND delight she's experiencing with every number she plays. I also know she's playing with a very inexpensive ukulele and that her family cannot afford a better one. I've contacted her music teachers at her school so one or both of her teachers will be contacting you soon as well with more info. Thank you!!

BearMakingNoises
07-15-2016, 05:16 AM
Fantastic gesture...It is the things like this that made me want to join this forum in the first place. I have been thinking of getting a good quality uke to give to one of my students... one day perhaps when teachers are paid more haha

Greg Willis
07-15-2016, 05:33 AM
I am a music teacher in Quincy CA. I would love to see this instrument go to a young Lady named Ellie. I believe she is 11. She is one of the most dedicated and responsible music students I have ever seen. I pooled money with two other music teachers to buy her an entry level instrument that she has already out grown. We regularly lend her our professional level instruments in class and when she performs. She handles instruments with the utmost respect and sense of responsibility. Her family can not afford a high quality instrument but she really should have one. She practices and performs at every opportunity and is developing into quite a fine player. Such a gift would make a huge impact on her as a developing musician and community-minded young person.

Trader Todd
07-15-2016, 05:51 AM
Aloha Spirit Matters! Awesome! Make American Grateful Again!

Tudorp
07-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. But as a disclaimer, I am torn on this thought. I am not so sure an instrument like this should go to a child. And my reason for saying this is, there is something to be said for a young person to feel the pain, and grow up wanting something enough to go through the years yearning for it to a point they work their butts off to someday achieve that dream. Also, the fact that something with great value could be sold, and several less expensive instruments be purchased with that same money and make several children's young dreams come true. Imagine what $1000 could purchase less expensive ukes to outfit several kids that would otherwise not have the means to play anything. When I was 14, I played the bass. I wanted a Rickenbacker bass I saw hanging on the wall of a music store badly. I didn't come with a silver spoon in my mouth, and my parents as hard working as they were, never could have afforded to buy me an instrument like that. I worked my tail off for over a year to buy that BASS. I bought it before I was 16 years old with my own sweat and tears. It was a huge investment back in the 1970s (over $800 at that time) that many grown men would have to work a month to buy for themselves. I had a huge appreciation and love of that Bass because what it cost me in sweat to obtain it. Now that said, my daughter has had the opportunity to play her Gibson Les Paul since she was 12. Even though she had been playing since she was 7, And she tore up all her toys and things with the exception of a cheap guitar she started with. She babied her guitar like it was made of gold. Broken toys and things all over her room, but her cheap guitar stood in the corner when it wasn't in her hand like it was a monument. I gave her her Gibson when she was 12, even though I felt it was wrong, but she did put in the years and the guitar was a passion since she was 7, so I did. Even though she also still plays that Gibson at 19 like a rock star, and babies it. I still think that maybe I should have made her buy her own, and work for it. She loves the guitar because it was a project when I got it, and me and her slaved over it restoring it, so I felt she did work for that guitar. And this is just another reason why she respects and loves it, because it was something we built together when she was young. But, it's hers, and she worked for it.

But at any rate. This is a huge gesture and whom ever is blessed with it, I just hope they appreciate it not just as an expensive instrument, but a token of how mankind should be, and that they pay it forward. God Bless the OP.

quiltingshirley
07-15-2016, 07:46 AM
What a nice thing to do. These ukuleles need to be played and whoever gets it will love it. Even made me look up Quincy on the map. Gold country?

EmmaQ
07-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Quincy is indeed in Gold Country, quiltingShirley, and a wonderful little town. I read Tudorp's post and though I understand where's he's coming from, I don't think this is the case with Elli. She's a dedicated musician and a very sweet and honest young girl. Also significant to the discussion is that's she's working with an excellent teacher, Greg Willis. I've never known a more dedicated hardworking and wise teacher than Greg. He's a wonderful role model for his students and I know that under his tutelage, Elli will indeed appreciate this fine instrument and continue to work hard and joyfully. Thanks, all.

Tudorp
07-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Understand yours too. Like I mentioned, I am torn on my thoughts on gifting kids in this way. There are kids that simply deserve it no doubt. Things like this in this magnitude simply needs to be thought out and all things considered, in each case.

stevejfc
07-15-2016, 09:02 AM
A really wonderful gesture Staci.................no matter who it goes to, nothing but good karma.

bonesigh
07-15-2016, 10:00 AM
So generous of you! What aloha (: I would like you to consider my friend Jan. She lives in an apartment in Alexandria, VA. Lives very frugally on disability due to an injury some years ago. Has little feeling in her legs. No pity here though! She does get around! She is just a lovely sweet person with a quirky sense of humor, like me. I can't think of anyone more deserving. I think she now plays a Lanikai, which is okay but, well, you know!! She loves to play. Belongs to the Hawaii State Society. Goes to their events and to nursing homes and plays with the Reston Uke group.

Cheers (:

wickedwahine11
07-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and nomination submissions. It is already so hard to choose, I wish I could do more. I just want this ukulele to be played and loved. :)

Ukejenny
07-15-2016, 01:21 PM
How wonderful! I needed to read something that would feed my soul, and this is it. May it go to a loving, and deserving home, and continue to give Aloha for years to come.

igorthebarbarian
07-15-2016, 01:31 PM
Wow that is a tremendously nice gesture, especially in light of all the terrible news that seems to be going off in the world right now. Thank you for your generosity.
(I think I may too much money to qualify, but good luck on your search)

warndt
07-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Or... you could just sell it and donate the proceeds to the charity or individual of your choice. The uke will be played and appreciated, and you'd still be passing it forward.

Nickie
07-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Very sweet gesture! I have no idea who to nominate. I'm sure it will land in the right hands though.

bird's eye view of my ukelele
07-15-2016, 02:11 PM
first of all, thank you so much to AL for thinking of me here!

and second of all...

Or... you could just sell it and donate the proceeds to the charity or individual of your choice. The uke will be played and appreciated, and you'd still be passing it forward.

UU-er BigDaddyUker did a GoFundMe thing last year where he put up for sale alot of lovely ukes he had with all the proceeds going to The Ukulele Kids Club, which gives ukes to kids in hospital - something like that would give the gift of music and ukulele to a whole bunch of deserving young people, plus the KoAloha would go to a good home, you could put it on the marketplace here on UU and say whatever good cause the proceeds will be going to... just a thought

wickedwahine11
07-15-2016, 03:22 PM

first of all, thank you so much to AL for thinking of me here!

and second of all...

UU-er BigDaddyUker did a GoFundMe thing last year where he put up for sale alot of lovely ukes he had with all the proceeds going to The Ukulele Kids Club, which gives ukes to kids in hospital - something like that would give the gift of music and ukulele to a whole bunch of deserving young people, plus the KoAloha would go to a good home, you could put it on the marketplace here on UU and say whatever good cause the proceeds will be going to... just a thought

I appreciate the suggestion, I really do. But to be honest, it just feels more pure to me to give this actual uke away. Thank you though, I did give that some thought. This ukulele was a gift to me, and I just really want to gift it to someone that will play and treasure it, plus I promised the KoAloha folks I would never sell it.

sukie
07-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Ukes for kids!

They'd love to give it to one of their kids.

rappsy
07-15-2016, 04:22 PM
What an incredibly wonderful gesture.

Another reason to love this community. :agree:

Greg Willis
07-15-2016, 05:55 PM
I understand what you are saying Tudorp. It is a fairly common narrative and with good reason - its generally true. As a music teacher I try to instill the values you speak of in all of my students. As a rule no one is allowed to touch my instruments until they have earned my trust by demonstrating they know the value of the instruments and how to respect and handle them properly. There are only a few students who have earned my trust in this way.
I must respectfully disagree with you in this particular case, however, because children are individuals just like adults. They vary widely in character, temperament and values. Ellie played for a year and a half on a $50 Makala issued by the school music program. She practiced constantly and quickly became quite a good player. The instrument was holding her back. In ukulele class and at performances we would let her use our instruments a Kamaka and a Martin, which she would handle with the utmost respect! When we pooled our money to buy her an $80 ukulele she and her family could hardly believe it - this was a huge gift to them as they could not afford to buy her one. There are no "silver spoons" in this hard working family. She handles that $80 uke as if it was the most valuable and precious instrument in the world; always kept in the case, always handled gently, always kept clean and in perfect tune, and always played every day.
I am sure that there are several quite deserving people who would be a great choice for this very generous gift. And I am sure that wickedwahine11 will choose well. But, I would hate for Ellie to be out of consideration just because someone who doesn't even know her said "hey, she's just a kid." I know that she is an incredible young person who will grow up to be a valuable part of her community and affect a lot of people in a positive way just like her parents do.

NatalieS
07-16-2016, 02:10 AM
What a wonderful thing to do, Staci. Someone will be a very happy recipient of this beautiful uke. :)

PhilUSAFRet
07-16-2016, 04:07 AM
I know you didn't ask for votes, but Ellie is sounding like an amazingly worthy kid who is a credit to the uke world.

wickedwahine11
07-16-2016, 04:50 AM
For those folks that have been kind enough to nominate people, some of you have sent me videos of the people you have nominated playing. It isn't a requirement but it really helps me decide. I want to make sure the ukulele (if it goes to an individual) goes to someone that truly appreciates it. I am not expecting Jake talent of course, but the whole point of me giving it away is I want it to be able to sing its voice and be played by its owner. That may or may not be fair, but it is worth $1000, and unless it goes to a charity, I would prefer an intermediate or above player receive it. The whole reason I am donating it is because I want someone with skills, but not necessarily the cash, to be its owner.

There really is no other way for me to decide amongst a lot of wonderful sounding people. I have received nominations that have really tugged on my heartstrings, older folks on a fixed income, young kids with lots of promise, etc. Nobody is more "worthy" than anyone else. Talent or love of Hawaii or ukulele might end up being the way I decide.

I also just want to say, I recognize there are bad people out there. People who might fake a nomination to get a free KoAloha for themselves, to sell or keep. I don't think anyone here would be that cynical or rotten, but I suppose it is possible. Videos would help to weed out that possibility. So again, it is not required, but I really want to be sure that the person that receives this ukulele will be one that lives pono. (the Hawaiian word, not the ukulele brand). I really need $1000 right now, the timing belt on my car needs to be replaced and my hood needs to be painted. If someone was going to sell this ukulele for cash, I would want it to be me. But that does not sit right in my heart. It was a gift and I don't believe I should financially profit from it. I just hope the recipient feels the same way.

SteveZ
07-16-2016, 04:59 AM
Just a thought...there are several veterans organizations (Disabled Vets Assn., VFW, American Legion, etc) which can identify a young disabled vet who already plays a stringed instrument and can appreciate the KoAloha and use it as an extention to his/her therapy. A call to the local VA or county veterans services representative would start the identification of the appropriate vet.

wickedwahine11
07-16-2016, 05:03 AM
Just a thought...there are several veterans organizations (Disabled Vets Assn., VFW, American Legion, etc) which can identify a young disabled vet who already plays a stringed instrument and can appreciate the KoAloha and use it as an extention to his/her therapy. A call to the local VA or county veterans services representative would start the identification of the appropriate vet.

Thanks for the suggestion. As the wife, daughter and granddaughter of vets, I REALLY like it. I also recall seeing a news segment on a rock band of veterans, I will definitely give that some thought. Maybe start with the Hawaii National Guard units if they have any wounded warriors that play ukulele. :)

JackLuis
07-16-2016, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. As the wife, daughter and granddaughter of vets, I REALLY like it. I also recall seeing a news segment on a rock band of veterans, I will definitely give that some thought. Maybe start with the Hawaii National Guard units if they have any wounded warriors that play ukulele. :)

That is a great Idea. The new vets need more support than they have been getting and I think there is a VA hospital in LA.

keod
07-16-2016, 11:43 AM

What a wonderful idea. I'm a vet and I can tell you that the ukulele can be a "lifesaver" in ways I could never explain. For you to gift such a wonderful instrument to a vet, well it just warms my heart. Imagine the thrill you will be giving someone who might otherwise never hope to own a KoAloha. It could change their life.

OhioBelle
07-16-2016, 12:15 PM

The internet is full of stories of the healing power of music on a wounded/traumatized veteran. This wonderful idea gets my vote (if I get to vote!)

mds725
07-16-2016, 09:20 PM

Staci,

If you decide to look for a veteran to whom to donate your KoAloha, an organization called Guitars for Vets might be able to help you.

Here's a link to the web site.
http://www.guitars4vets.org/

cml
07-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Staci, thank you for doing this and bringing the spirit of aloha.

I just wanted to say that you shouldn't feel that it has to go anyone, disabled or poor, young or old. It should go to a cause, person or story that touch YOUR heart. I'm positive you will do an excellent choice, and make someone very happy.

A bit off topic perhaps but in the spirit of aloha nonetheless, this thread got me thinking. I was cleaning my office and found my old pair of glasses, and was about to throw them away when I realised that they could mean the world to someone. 500$ glasses is not something that everyone can afford, but many need. I googled a little and one of our big optic store chains here in Sweden collect old glasses and travel to africa with opticians every year and distribute them to the people who need them the most.

So if you have old glasses lying about at home, consider helping someone out!

bonesigh
07-17-2016, 02:54 AM
Hello again. Just wanted to put up a vid as per your request. This is Jan and I Jamming after a uke meet in Reston, VA. You have a tough decision to make but a fun one! I also have to say I wouldn't mind having this uke either, lol. I play constantly and each uke you have has a different sweetness to it. Giving her attention would not be a problem (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgtZkrvpArY&feature=youtu.be

Landshark
07-19-2016, 06:28 AM
This is such a wonderful and generous idea, while I do not know anybody who deserves or could use this uke, I would like to be able to donate the shipping cost if you need to send it away form So Cal.

siauke
07-19-2016, 08:20 AM
That is so nice of you. Great way to spread the Aloha!

wickedwahine11
07-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Thank you so much everyone - just as an update, I have contacted the Hawaii office for the VA to see if any wounded or PTSD-suffering local vets play ukulele. The gentleman I spoke with said he would get back to me later this week. If that does not pan out, I will donate the ukulele to one of the recipients nominated here. Either way, the recipient will be announced here on Monday the 25th, and I will ship it to the recipient then. To those of you that have selflessly volunteered to help cover the shipping costs, thank you so much, I will be in touch after the recipient is chosen. Thanks everyone for helping to find this ukulele a good home.

EmmaQ
07-19-2016, 01:54 PM
You've handled this very well! Thanks for your generosity- I think your kind gift will inspire more of us to give when we can.

lfoo6952
07-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Staci:

Wonderful gesture. So far no one appropriate has been nominated because you specifically said the person has to live in Southern CA. I live in Southern CA but I am still not qualified because I can afford to buy a nice uke, which was your second criteria.

Gifting it to the VA is a great idea.

b00geyman
07-19-2016, 03:55 PM
You Sir are a gentleman!

wickedwahine11
07-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Staci:

Wonderful gesture. So far no one appropriate has been nominated because you specifically said the person has to live in Southern CA. I live in Southern CA but I am still not qualified because I can afford to buy a nice uke, which was your second criteria.

Gifting it to the VA is a great idea.

Oh no, they don't have to live here, it is just a preference, only because money is very tight for me right now, so shipping was an issue. A few people though have offered to help defray shipping costs, so if you know someone that deserves a KoAloha but cannot afford one, nominate away! :)

wickedwahine11
07-19-2016, 05:28 PM
You Sir are a gentleman!

Thanks for the compliment, though I am a lady. Ha! Some would say, that ain't no lady, I may be far too familiar with four letter words for that! But a woman at any rate. ;)

b00geyman
07-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the compliment, though I am a lady. Ha! Some would say, that ain't no lady, I may be far too familiar with four letter words for that! But a woman at any rate. ;)

Please accept my deepest apologies. I was actually unsure whether to use that internet meme or not since I didn't know which gender you were. In any case, your generosity surpasses the puny gender boundaries. ;)

kohanmike
07-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Please accept my deepest apologies. I was actually unsure whether to use that internet meme or not since I didn't know which gender you were. In any case, your generosity surpasses the puny gender boundaries. ;)

Obviously you don't speak Hawaiian, wahine means woman, and with her admitted familiarity with four letter words, wickedwahine fits Staci very well.

b00geyman
07-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Obviously you don't speak Hawaiian, wahine means woman, and with her admitted familiarity with four letter words, wickedwahine fits Staci very well.

Obviously. I speak a few languages but sadly, Hawaiian is not on my list.

wickedwahine11
07-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Hi everyone, I want to thank all of you so much for all of your wonderful suggestions. I ended up deciding to choose a former Hawaii resident that now lives on the East Coast. She works in the public school system so she cannot afford a high end ukulele. She is the leader of an ukulele group though, and so she spreads a lot of aloha. It was actually a video submitted by the UU member that nominated her, of her singing and playing "Hawaii Aloha" that made me decide to give it to her. The member that nominated her also mentioned that he had let her play his KoAloha, and when she did, she cradled it like a baby and really loved it - so I wanted her to have one of her own. I greatly admire public servants like her, and it is a way for me to spread a bit of aloha.

I tried to hook up with two different veterans groups but they could not find anyone that already played ukulele. I even wrote to a public affairs officer for the Marine Corps after seeing a video of a Marine playing a Makala, in the hopes of tracking him down, but the email was never responded to. So a teacher was a nice substitute.

The ukulele is in its case - the one my Moore Bettah came in - and will be shipped off to Maryland tomorrow. I will post a video of her in a few days after I know she got it, as I don't want to ruin her surprise - all she knows is her friend has a package coming her way. :)

Booli
07-24-2016, 01:46 PM
OMG - Staci...

You are a fine example of a wonderful human being, a role model, and one who can serve as an example for many who strive to make the world a better place, for you in fact are doing that not only with your beautiful and comprehensive books, but also with your kindness and generosity in seeking a worthy recipient for this timeless treasure in this very special ukulele.

The Wikipedia page for "Pay It Forward" should be modified to include this story of your intentions and actions here.

I am very touched by what you have done, which has given me hope and renewed my faith in the potential of goodness within all of us.

You will forever have my respect, esteem and admiration.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for everything that you have done, selflessly spreading blessings to others, again and again.

I am so happy to know about and witness this event, and grateful to know you via the UU forum...

Mahalo,

Booli :)

cpmusic
07-24-2016, 03:48 PM
Staci, I just caught up with this thread. This is a lovely gesture and a gift I'm sure will be treasured for a long time. Thank you for doing this!

OhioBelle
07-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Darkness creates more darkness
Only light can dispel dark
Hatred breeds more hatred
Only love can conquer hate
Noise makes more noise
Only music rises above noise

THANK YOU for bringing light, love and music to the world!

bonesigh
07-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Oh, I probably know her! Hmm, leader of a group though? Well, if I don't know her, I need to! Congrats to her and to you for being such a lovely person!!

Hi everyone, I want to thank all of you so much for all of your wonderful suggestions. I ended up deciding to choose a former Hawaii resident that now lives on the East Coast. She works in the public school system so she cannot afford a high end ukulele. She is the leader of an ukulele group though, and so she spreads a lot of aloha. It was actually a video submitted by the UU member that nominated her, of her singing and playing "Hawaii Aloha" that made me decide to give it to her. The member that nominated her also mentioned that he had let her play his KoAloha, and when she did, she cradled it like a baby and really loved it - so I wanted her to have one of her own. I greatly admire public servants like her, and it is a way for me to spread a bit of aloha.

I tried to hook up with two different veterans groups but they could not find anyone that already played ukulele. I even wrote to a public affairs officer for the Marine Corps after seeing a video of a Marine playing a Makala, in the hopes of tracking him down, but the email was never responded to. So a teacher was a nice substitute.

The ukulele is in its case - the one my Moore Bettah came in - and will be shipped off to Maryland tomorrow. I will post a video of her in a few days after I know she got it, as I don't want to ruin her surprise - all she knows is her friend has a package coming her way. :)

bacchettadavid
07-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Edith Wharton once wrote, "There are two ways of spreading light; to be / The candle or the mirror that reflects it."

Thank you for being both mirror and candle. I am sure the that your gesture and the tenor uke will be treasured.

wickedwahine11
07-25-2016, 04:02 PM
You all really humble me. I was trying to just find a good home for a good uke. Thank you all so much. Dropped it off to UPS today and it should arrive Friday. Considering she has no idea it is coming, or who I am, this should be interesting. I did include a letter with it, and I am sure the UU member that nominated her will explain it too. I should say, his generosity in paying for the shipping was MUCH appreciated.

wickedwahine11
08-03-2016, 05:28 AM
I received a video from Nani, the recipient of the KoAloha ukulele. She said it was okay to post it for folks to view. https://www.facebook.com/naniukejoy/videos/vb.1003311887/10209222205764550/?type=3&theater

I'm so glad that she likes it, and hope that she lets it sing its song. She is a lovely person and I'm thrilled the ukulele found its way to her. Thanks to Kevin, aka good_uke_boy, for nominating this wonderful public servant and ambassador of aloha.

The video that made me choose her was this one: https://www.facebook.com/mdukejam/videos/1048501185196369 The song "Hawaii Aloha" shares a very special place in my heart, as it was played for my grandfather's ashes scattering off the coast of Kauai. It just warmed my heart to see someone 6,000 miles from Hawaii spreading its aloha and culture to people.

Thanks so much to all that nominated someone, and I'm thrilled she is now a member of the KoAloha ohana.

Joyful Uke
08-03-2016, 05:40 AM
This was such a wonderful gesture, and it makes me so happy to know that the ukulele was given to a wonderful home. Thank you for doing this.

stevejfc
08-03-2016, 05:52 AM
Great idea and gesture Staci......................and thanks for keeping us all involved.

bonesigh
08-03-2016, 06:12 AM
NANI! I should have known! Wish I'd have been there to see her face! She's a good friend of mine! Congrats girl!

OhioBelle
08-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Thank you for sharing that video. It is obvious that the lovely uke was meant to live with her.

Booli
08-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Thank you for sharing that video. It is obvious that the lovely uke was meant to live with her.

aye - she looked so happy!

I am pretty sure that there is a special place in Heaven just for you Staci.

Mahalo for doing this for such a worthy person.

Tudorp
08-04-2016, 02:50 AM
Awesome. No doubt it ended up in the right hands.. God Bless..

TheCraftedCow
08-05-2016, 08:57 PM
What is going to be the cost of a timing belt? What would you think if some of us want to send you $5 or $10 or $?? to your PayPal account as a PERSONAL, so neither of us pays a fee, and we can affirm that what goes around comes back around

wickedwahine11
08-05-2016, 09:02 PM
What is going to be the cost of a timing belt? What would you think if some of us want to send you $5 or $10 or $?? to your PayPal account as a PERSONAL, so neither of us pays a fee, and we can affirm that what goes around comes back around

That is so sweet, but no, I would feel like that was still profiting from KoAloha's gift of aloha as I would be making money. It came to about $1400 for the timing belt, water pump, etc. but I will be fine. Things will be a little lean for a while, but no worries...I am just glad she likes it. Though that was a very kind thought on your part. If you want to give back, do a random act for someone - buy the Starbucks for the person behind you in line - donate that $10 to the ASPCA. But thank you for the very sweet gesture. :)

Greg Willis
08-22-2016, 06:18 PM
Staci, your generosity has had more of an impact than you know! You wrote that you "regret that you only had but one ukulele to give" as you had to decide who among several deserving people might receive it. After you decided, two people contacted me saying they'd like to get a ukulele for Ellie too! So, Mark (mds725), DownUpDave, EmmaQ, and I pooled our money and bought Ellie a Koala Opio! She just received her new uke and is probably the happiest kid I have ever seen! She and her friend Lilah came over today to make a video as a thank you to all of you wonderful Ukulele Underground folks and to spread a little aloha. I will share a link to the video shortly!
Greg

Greg Willis
08-22-2016, 08:56 PM
https://youtu.be/KOM9ZuNhIpU

Greg Willis
08-22-2016, 08:59 PM
https://youtu.be/KOM9ZuNhIpU

pritch
08-22-2016, 11:33 PM
Last night I was moved to chide members of another online community I frequent for their negativity. This thread, which I came to late only having noticed it today, has provided the perfect antidote. Very uplifting.

Best wishes to Staci for her generosity, to the other donors, and also to the two lucky lady recipients.

DownUpDave
08-23-2016, 02:47 AM
Staci, your generosity has had more of an impact than you know! You wrote that you "regret that you only had but one ukulele to give" as you had to decide who among several deserving people might receive it. After you decided, two people contacted me saying they'd like to get a ukulele for Ellie too! So, Mark (mds725), DownUpDave, EmmaQ, and I pooled our money and bought Ellie a Koala Opio! She just received her new uke and is probably the happiest kid I have ever seen! She and her friend Lilah came over today to make a video as a thank you to all of you wonderful Ukulele Underground folks and to spread a little aloha. I will share a link to the video shortly!
Greg

Greg should be applauded for caring enough about young people and espeically Ellie to make this happen. It is teachers like him that make a huge diiference in the lives of others.

**See the video on the previous page****

wickedwahine11
08-23-2016, 04:51 AM
Greg

That is fantastic!! Thank you to all of you for your generosity. I am thrilled for her. :)

keod
08-23-2016, 05:02 AM
Following this thread has.....moved me deeply and renewed my faith in the kindness and generosity of others.
Staci, you changed our world!
Mark, DownUpDave, EmmaQ and Greg- all I can say is that I hope karma or the gods reward you for your kindness.
All of you inspire the rest of us to "pass it on". Thank you, you've brought smiles to the faces of so many.

mds725
08-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Thank you, Staci, for inspiring Aloha in so many people.

Thank you, Greg, for caring about Ellie's music education and for posting in this thread to let us all know about her. I'm glad that things have worked out well for her and I hope she enjoys playing that ukulele until one of the K brands sponsors her. :)

Thanks to UU for creating such a friendly and generous environment.

And thanks to Andrew and everyone at The Ukulele Site for picking out such a pretty ukulele for Ellie!

I consider myself blessed to be able to possess and play some fantastic ukuleles, and I try to remember to practice gratitude.

Iulia
08-23-2016, 09:52 AM
lovely thread

quiltingshirley
08-23-2016, 09:56 AM
Really nice to see the girls playing and having such a good time. Ellie's fingering on the uke is beautiful and the guitar is bigger than the girl playing it! Thanks for sharing. True Aloha spirit.

Lillo
08-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Wow that's real generosity! :)

Ukejenny
08-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Every time I find myself sucked into the "news" online or on the tele, I think I will turn that off and come back to this thread instead. This is Aloha.

OhioBelle
08-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Every time I find myself sucked into the "news" online or on the tele, I think I will turn that off and come back to this thread instead. This is Aloha.

yes, yes, yes. this, just this, is the answer.

igorthebarbarian
08-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Y'all are amazing. I had forgot about this thread. But super happy to see it/hear everyone who received their ukes. I have a couple I wish I could give to a good home. Locally Phoenix AZ area - not sure if there's a Children's Hospital here and if they have a program? Mahalo. Thanks for the good vibes

Mivo
08-24-2016, 06:07 PM
Very generous of you, Mds725, DownUpDave, EmmaQ, Greg, and Staci! You're fantastic people. :)

Trader Todd
08-25-2016, 08:47 AM
Love Saves The Day!

Ukulelerick9255
08-25-2016, 09:34 AM
I think what you're doing is an amazing gesture, I hope you'll consider me because I'm 61 and saving for retirement and such a dream high end ukulele will forever be out of my reach. God bless you.

wickedwahine11
08-25-2016, 10:18 AM
I think what you're doing is an amazing gesture, I hope you'll consider me because I'm 61 and saving for retirement and such a dream high end ukulele will forever be out of my reach. God bless you.

Hi Rick, thanks so much but the ukulele was given away already.

DownUpDave
08-25-2016, 10:27 AM

I would think that amazing Beau Hannam tenor with the parrot inlay on the headstock would do you nicely into retirement. That is an incredible one of a kind super high end custom instrument that you own.