A string intonation setup

Jerwin

Reaction score
Hey there,

I got a friend's ukulele here to set it up. I just want to hear your opinion before I go any further. G, C, E strings are spot on all the way up the neck. A string is too sharp. Tt basicly starts at fret 4 going all the way up.
At 5th fret i got +10, +20 at 12th fret.

The uke is nicely built, bridge position seems ok since all the other strings works ok. Aquila supernylgut brand new set of strigs. What may be the cause? I think the saddle should be compensated to make the scale of the string longer? is that so?

THANKS

So I tried to compensate old saddle that I found from other uke. So I pushed the contact point on the saddle backwards (closer to the bottom of the body) to longer the scale lenght of the string. Nope, notghing changes.... Then I swtich strings from my other ukulele. Now the string is flat. So I put the original saddle back and the intonation is OK. String issue? ... never had this problem before....

I recently changed strings on my tenor and had a dud string in there - first time for me. The intonation on that one string is dreadful - it's obviously not happy under tension. I've seen recommendations to swap the string around (take it off, put it back on with the ends the other way) so I may give that a try.

Many times, I can solve intonation issues just by trying a different string. Different tension, density, etc, produces different intonation (and the effect of different tension is not just limited to the string alone, but also its effect on the neck).

Yeah you can't always choose the string you want, you often have to use the string the uke wants. :eek:

I just swapped the Worth Browns I was having difficulty with for Savarez. Bingo, problem solved. The uke definitely did not want those Browns! Sounds so lovely again now though.

Slots in the nut may be an issue too. After switching from aquila to living water strings, I've been getting buzzes. I've put bone dust and super glue into nut slots and slightly filled them again. Buzzing solved. The aquila string E was precisely intonating on the uke. After switching to living waters, A string and others perfectly spot on and the E string is a bit sharp. They are used tho. I am just saying because I am surprised how huge impact switching strings may have. And it's cool to gain the experience on an inexpensive ukulele.

Top Bottom