Indentation on finger tips not going away for a while

Reaction score
Every time I play I get indentations on my finger tips from the Ukulele strings. When I play an Em with the dents It's impossible to produce a clear sound I need to know what to do.

Jay, I think this is the fourth thread on this you've started - just sticking to the one thread will probably be better. When you start playing the uke you'll get grooves in your fingertips. As you practice your technique will improve and your fingertips will toughen up and this will happen less. I see other members have advised you that the grooves won't be what's effecting the sound - I agree with them. I have been playing stringed instruments for about 20 years now - guitar, mandolin, uke, banjo - in several bands along the way. Grooves in fingertips have never caused string buzzes etc. for me or anyone I've played with. The issue could be your uke or your technique. Perhaps a photo of the action of your uke could help us to see where the problem might be? If it's very high you'll have to apply a lot of pressure to fret the strings and this could be the source of your problem.

Jay, I think this is the fourth thread on this you've started - just sticking to the one thread will probably be better. When you start playing the uke you'll get grooves in your fingertips. As you practice your technique will improve and your fingertips will toughen up and this will happen less. I see other members have advised you that the grooves won't be what's effecting the sound - I agree with them. I have been playing stringed instruments for about 20 years now - guitar, mandolin, uke, banjo - in several bands along the way. Grooves in fingertips have never caused string buzzes etc. for me or anyone I've played with. The issue could be your uke or your technique. Perhaps a photo of the action of your uke could help us to see where the problem might be? If it's very high you'll have to apply a lot of pressure to fret the strings and this could be the source of your problem.

There is nothing wrong with the action, I literally play for 30 seconds and I get dents in my fingers. This started when I had calluses but I have filed them down now so maybe I need to build them up again. The dent on my index finger makes it hard for the bottom string too ring properly when I play an E minor chord that's why it buzzes.

I doubt it Jay, I think you have too little pressure on the string, or have another finger close to it, causing it to buzz. Getting some dents in your fingers while playing hardly seems unnormal and unless we are talking several millimeters deep, shouldnt be the cause of any buzz.

Everyone has told you everything that could be wrong with your fingers and the strings. Maybe you should see a doctor . . . Maybe you just like the attention you're getting from the UU . . .

Put your ukulele away for a while to rest your poor fingers or stop playing Em. :eek:ld:

everyone has told you everything that could be wrong with your fingers and the strings. Maybe you should see a doctor . . . Maybe you just like the attention you're getting from the uu . . .

Put your ukulele away for a while to rest your poor fingers or stop playing em. :eek:ld:

[comment deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry or Jay, I am guessing that the Terry account is a second account for you?

I seem to recall that you are a youngster from one of your 4? threads regarding the same issue, but that in no way excuses behaviour such as yours. Now please go away, your presence here on the forums is unnecessary if that's the attitude you keep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom