NUD for my new Mason Long Neck Concert Ukulele

rappsy

Reaction score
The following is my NUD for the Mason LN Concert Ukulele.

I attended the Midwest Ukulele Camp in Olivete, Michigan a few weeks ago which is a couple of hours outside of Detroit. I will have a review of that in another post.

The main vendor there was Elderly Music, which was also one of the main sponsors of the camp. The performers also had booths there selling their products and I also spotted a booth called Mason Guitars and Ukuleles. Kevin Mason bought with him, and had on display, a number of his hand made Ukes ranging from sopranos to tenors.

The Uke that caught my eye was a LN concert, which as many of you know, is my Uke of choice along with smaller bodied tenors. This struck a nerve even though I had never heard of them.

Being on the pricey side, I was hesitant on purchasing a totally unknown commodity. I headed toward UU, and asked some questions about Mason Ukuleles. I received a few answers that were favorable from Ryan (recstar) and Steve (stevelele) and confided with some of my regulars such as Dave (downupdave), Hodge (doc_j), and Mark (deschutestrout) who all pointed out something EXTREMELY unusual for most us here on UU.

I was able to touch, feel, and play the Uke I was considering. How often do we get the chance to do this? I went back to his booth a few times before pulling the trigger. I took it for the next day's camp classes and it felt gooooooood.

I gave it back to him to take back to his shop, because although new, it traveled with him to the festivals, had been handled a few times, and it just needed a little TLC. I was also continuing on with my holiday and didn't want to take it with me. It was extremely difficult to give it back knowing that I wouldn't see it again for a few weeks.

I just received notice that it is now on it's way to me and I am really excited about this.

This is a link to some of the pictures. More pix and details about the Uke later this week when it arrives.

https://goo.gl/photos/sajRPBwx444Z3Uub7

Last edited:
Congrats Lenny! I bet the wait will be worth it. Did you take any pics?

That's awesome Lenny! I'm glad you found a uke that is perfect for you!

Great to hear and she is a beauty! I'll see Kevin at some point this summer and I'll make sure he hears of your appreciation.

Looks great, looking forward to hearing a sound sample and seeing more pictures. I think that actually playing and seeing a uke from a luthier is the best way you could get to evaluate it.

Congratulations :)!

Kevin is a great guy--congratulations. I really like his ukes. He is extremely skilled

Thanks everybody for the words of encouragement.

As I was deciding, I just kept coming back to the fact that I was actually playing one that I was considering purchasing. It had been a long time since that occurred. We usually have to wait until it's bought. paid for, and delivered before we get that feeling and then we hope that it won't be a disappointment. I got to avoid that part of the equation and sat down with it before deciding. It happened only once before, and I am sure it will be a while before it happens again.

I just received notice that my Uke will be here in mid week so I will be posting more pictures and a through description then.

Thanks to all.

Thanks Nickie. I'll be attending the Tampa Bay Uke Fest in November for the third time and this will be the one I will probably bring. When there, I certainly will be showing it off. Let's keep in touch and we'll have another great Fest in Tampa.

Last edited:
Nice, Lenny! My daughter just looked over my shoulder and said, "Wow, that's pretty, Daddy!". Congrats on a beautiful acquisition.

Nice, Lenny! My daughter just looked over my shoulder and said, "Wow, that's pretty, Daddy!". Congrats on a beautiful acquisition.

Eddie: Your daughter has good taste. Those were my words as well, except for the Daddy part. :D

I am expecting it this week. More info and pictures when it comes in...

I just had the chance to play this uke and all I can say is Mason Ukes deserves to be more well known, a lot more! The sound is incredible. There is so much chime, ring, sparkle. Overtones galore! And then looking at the headstock is just a wow moment. The inlay is beautiful with its different colors. Lenny really scored with this one!

I just had the chance to play this uke and all I can say is Mason Ukes deserves to be more well known, a lot more! The sound is incredible. There is so much chime, ring, sparkle. Overtones galore! And then looking at the headstock is just a wow moment. The inlay is beautiful with its different colors. Lenny really scored with this one!

Ok Dan I am very jealous. No doubt you and Lenny had a great time together. Lenny was nice enough to have shared pictures and thoughts of this uke with me and it certainly appears to be a keeper. Can't wait for the full NUD.........Lenny how about a sound sample to go with it

The Uke came in late yesterday and I was lucky enough to get together with Dan today and we had a very nice afternoon. He was quite impressed with the Uke, as am I.

I will be adding some of the specs and pictures this weekend, and will add a sound sample as well.

A Mason Uke needs to be heard.

Ok Dan I am very jealous. No doubt you and Lenny had a great time together. Lenny was nice enough to have shared pictures and thoughts of this uke with me and it certainly appears to be a keeper. Can't wait for the full NUD.........Lenny how about a sound sample to go with it

Yeah Dave I agree it is a keeper. One thing that stands out is how much it rings with bar chords up the neck. And the inlay, Lenny said the guy went to school for that and it really shows.

The Uke came in late yesterday and I was lucky enough to get together with Dan today and we had a very nice afternoon. He was quite impressed with the Uke, as am I.

I will be adding some of the specs and pictures this weekend, and will add a sound sample as well.

A Mason Uke needs to be heard.

Vey impressed. Thanks for all your hospitality!

Top Bottom