PDA

View Full Version : NUD for my new Mason Long Neck Concert Ukulele

rappsy
07-15-2016, 12:59 PM
The following is my NUD for the Mason LN Concert Ukulele.

I attended the Midwest Ukulele Camp in Olivete, Michigan a few weeks ago which is a couple of hours outside of Detroit. I will have a review of that in another post.

The main vendor there was Elderly Music, which was also one of the main sponsors of the camp. The performers also had booths there selling their products and I also spotted a booth called Mason Guitars and Ukuleles. Kevin Mason bought with him, and had on display, a number of his hand made Ukes ranging from sopranos to tenors.

The Uke that caught my eye was a LN concert, which as many of you know, is my Uke of choice along with smaller bodied tenors. This struck a nerve even though I had never heard of them.

Being on the pricey side, I was hesitant on purchasing a totally unknown commodity. I headed toward UU, and asked some questions about Mason Ukuleles. I received a few answers that were favorable from Ryan (recstar) and Steve (stevelele) and confided with some of my regulars such as Dave (downupdave), Hodge (doc_j), and Mark (deschutestrout) who all pointed out something EXTREMELY unusual for most us here on UU.

I was able to touch, feel, and play the Uke I was considering. How often do we get the chance to do this? I went back to his booth a few times before pulling the trigger. I took it for the next day's camp classes and it felt gooooooood.

I gave it back to him to take back to his shop, because although new, it traveled with him to the festivals, had been handled a few times, and it just needed a little TLC. I was also continuing on with my holiday and didn't want to take it with me. It was extremely difficult to give it back knowing that I wouldn't see it again for a few weeks.

I just received notice that it is now on it's way to me and I am really excited about this.

This is a link to some of the pictures. More pix and details about the Uke later this week when it arrives.

https://goo.gl/photos/sajRPBwx444Z3Uub7

Camsuke
07-15-2016, 01:20 PM
This is great news Lenny, I'll look forward to more information once it becomes available. Until then, big congratulations my friend.

Nickie
07-15-2016, 01:59 PM
Congrats Lenny! I bet the wait will be worth it. Did you take any pics?

WCBarnes
07-15-2016, 02:08 PM
That's awesome Lenny! I'm glad you found a uke that is perfect for you!

rappsy
07-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Here's a link to some pictures.

Take a look at that Inlay.

SoloRule
07-15-2016, 04:01 PM
I was wondering what took you so long to make the announcement .
Hope this is the one you have been searching .
A big congratulations on the new addition to your uke family! Time to update the group picture.
Bring him/her when you visit us in the north.

bonesoup
07-16-2016, 01:31 AM
Congrats buddy! That inlay is awesome. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Recstar24
07-16-2016, 06:54 AM
Great to hear and she is a beauty! I'll see Kevin at some point this summer and I'll make sure he hears of your appreciation.

kvehe
07-16-2016, 08:21 AM
Super news! I'm looking forward to more pics and details.

cml
07-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Looks great, looking forward to hearing a sound sample and seeing more pictures. I think that actually playing and seeing a uke from a luthier is the best way you could get to evaluate it.

Congratulations :)!

Stevelele
07-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Kevin is a great guy--congratulations. I really like his ukes. He is extremely skilled

rappsy
07-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks everybody for the words of encouragement.

As I was deciding, I just kept coming back to the fact that I was actually playing one that I was considering purchasing. It had been a long time since that occurred. We usually have to wait until it's bought. paid for, and delivered before we get that feeling and then we hope that it won't be a disappointment. I got to avoid that part of the equation and sat down with it before deciding. It happened only once before, and I am sure it will be a while before it happens again.

I just received notice that my Uke will be here in mid week so I will be posting more pictures and a through description then.

Thanks to all.

Nickie
07-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the pics. What a great looking uke!

rappsy
07-17-2016, 03:10 PM
Thanks Nickie. I'll be attending the Tampa Bay Uke Fest in November for the third time and this will be the one I will probably bring. When there, I certainly will be showing it off. Let's keep in touch and we'll have another great Fest in Tampa.

Ukulele Eddie
07-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Nice, Lenny! My daughter just looked over my shoulder and said, "Wow, that's pretty, Daddy!". Congrats on a beautiful acquisition.

rappsy
07-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Nice, Lenny! My daughter just looked over my shoulder and said, "Wow, that's pretty, Daddy!". Congrats on a beautiful acquisition.

Eddie: Your daughter has good taste. Those were my words as well, except for the Daddy part. :D

I am expecting it this week. More info and pictures when it comes in...

bonesoup
07-21-2016, 11:47 AM
I just had the chance to play this uke and all I can say is Mason Ukes deserves to be more well known, a lot more! The sound is incredible. There is so much chime, ring, sparkle. Overtones galore! And then looking at the headstock is just a wow moment. The inlay is beautiful with its different colors. Lenny really scored with this one!

DownUpDave
07-21-2016, 12:51 PM
I just had the chance to play this uke and all I can say is Mason Ukes deserves to be more well known, a lot more! The sound is incredible. There is so much chime, ring, sparkle. Overtones galore! And then looking at the headstock is just a wow moment. The inlay is beautiful with its different colors. Lenny really scored with this one!

Ok Dan I am very jealous. No doubt you and Lenny had a great time together. Lenny was nice enough to have shared pictures and thoughts of this uke with me and it certainly appears to be a keeper. Can't wait for the full NUD.........Lenny how about a sound sample to go with it

rappsy
07-21-2016, 02:49 PM
The Uke came in late yesterday and I was lucky enough to get together with Dan today and we had a very nice afternoon. He was quite impressed with the Uke, as am I.

I will be adding some of the specs and pictures this weekend, and will add a sound sample as well.

A Mason Uke needs to be heard.

bonesoup
07-22-2016, 01:35 AM
Ok Dan I am very jealous. No doubt you and Lenny had a great time together. Lenny was nice enough to have shared pictures and thoughts of this uke with me and it certainly appears to be a keeper. Can't wait for the full NUD.........Lenny how about a sound sample to go with it

Yeah Dave I agree it is a keeper. One thing that stands out is how much it rings with bar chords up the neck. And the inlay, Lenny said the guy went to school for that and it really shows.

The Uke came in late yesterday and I was lucky enough to get together with Dan today and we had a very nice afternoon. He was quite impressed with the Uke, as am I.

I will be adding some of the specs and pictures this weekend, and will add a sound sample as well.

A Mason Uke needs to be heard.

Vey impressed. Thanks for all your hospitality!

Nickie
07-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Oh, cool Lenny! I can't wait to see you and this hawt new uke!

Rakelele
07-23-2016, 03:50 AM
Congratulations, Lenny! That is one mean looking bird. Very cool inlay work, and wonderful combination of woods.

rappsy
07-23-2016, 08:47 AM
I have had a chance to sit down with my new addition, the Mason Long Neck Concert. This is the Uke that I bought at the booth Kevin Mason had set up at the recent Midwest Uke Camp outside of Detroit a few weeks ago and it was delivered a couple of days ago.

This is a long neck concert, so it has a concert body and a 17" tenor scale. This configuration is the one that I have come to find the most comfortable. I like the more Uky sound of the concert as compared to the more guitar like sound that I find most tenors have, and I prefer the longer scale of the tenor. I do have tenors as well, but their body shape and size is smaller, such as the Tiny Tenor. With this combo, it reduces the amount of choices out there. This is why finding the Mason was such a joy. Here was a Uke that had what I have come to know are the qualities I want: Tenor neck, concert body, bright, crisp, and comfortable.

This one has a Lutz Spruce top, Koa back and sides, ebony fret board, and some of the most intricate and beautiful inlay work I have seen and certainly the nicest I have ever had the pleasure to own. The inlay of this Uke is a work of art on it's own.

As far as construction, this is a little heavier than some of the Ukes I have been fortunate enough to play, but as it is a concert body, it is extremely comfortable for me. I find full body tenors a little harder to control, but want and like the tenor scales. The Tiny Tenor and the Mya-Moe fit into this category for me as the body of the tenor MM tenor is not that much bigger than the concert bodies of the Mason and Kanile'a. It is extremely well made and you feel you are holding a finely constructed piece of art.

The sound is wonderful. Intonation all the way up the fret board is spot on. It does not come with a radius fret board, and even barring at higher frets are crystal clear. It's a little brighter than some other Ukes, such as the Mya-Moe and Ono, passing into the range of Kanile'a. It has crisp highs, the separation is marvelous, sustain is there and it is extremely melodic. There is very little decay and I love how each note rings out. The finger picking is clear and defined and strumming is full with great presence. If I had to say which is preferable after my short time with it, I would say it shines more as a finger picker than a strummer, but it certainly doesn't suffer as a strummer either. It came with Southcoast strings, which are a bit thick for my usual tastes. I am keeping them on so I can see the differences between the thinner strings I am used to and the thicker ones that currently inhabit the Mason.

Kevin Mason is the luthier and came from guitars. This is his 43rd Uke, and one of only two LN Concerts he has built. Kevin was a joy to work with and he was EXTREMELY patient with the gazillion questions I had for him while at the show and then asking him again via email so I had it down on paper. It is obvious he knows what he is doing and I found out after asking him about the inlay that he attended a school where he honed his craft for inlays. Take a look at the pictures and prepare to be amazed.

I'm sure I will miss something that I wanted to say, so if so, I will add to the thread.

More pictures and a sound sample to be added.

Masonguitars
07-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the great feedback, Lenny. I appreciate hearing what you think. And keep asking questions.

I too found this instrument (and the previous long-neck concert I made) to be quick speaking, clear and resonant, and I have wondered if it was due to the Lutz Spruce top. So I am working on a third long-neck concert, but this one is all Koa. We'll see how much difference there is.

Ukulele Eddie
07-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the great feedback, Lenny. I appreciate hearing what you think. And keep asking questions.

I too found this instrument (and the previous long-neck concert I made) to be quick speaking, clear and resonant, and I have wondered if it was due to the Lutz Spruce top. So I am working on a third long-neck concert, but this one is all Koa. We'll see how much difference there is.

Love to hear your thoughts after you have that additional data point. Keep those beautiful ukes coming! ;-)

rappsy
07-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Some more specs for this beautiful Mason LN Concert Uke:

* 17 inch scale with Concert Body

* Lutz Spruce Top

* Koa Back and Sides

* Maple Bindings

* Koa Neck

* Ebony Fingerboard

* Ebony Bridge

* Bone Nut and Saffle

* Grover Tuners

* The Inlay on the head stock is of a Flower and Bird using Paua Abalone, Black Mother of Pearl, White Mother of Pearl, Gold Mother Of Pearl, and reconstituted stone.

rappsy
07-27-2016, 03:13 PM
I added some pictures of my Mason Long Neck Concert.

SoloRule
08-10-2016, 07:08 AM
Lenny
You tempted us with beautiful photos (Love the inlays) . Now you got us all envious of your good fortune. I hope you found time to upload sound sample too.
Thank you for the detail spec. It definitely help others to appreciate and admire the beauty in cyber space.

Masonguitars
10-02-2016, 07:01 AM
Love to hear your thoughts after you have that additional data point. Keep those beautiful ukes coming! ;-)

I finished the all Koa long-neck concert about a month ago and it is very similar to Lenny's spruce topped instrument in that it is quick speaking, clear and resonant, but the Koa version has maybe a warmer sound and sparkles in a different way. It's a special, sweet sounding uke--like Lenny's. I took it to the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival yesterday and it sold pretty quickly. Unfortunately, I don't have a sound sample, but there are some photos on my Mason Guitars Facebook page. I intend to make more of these.