Recording advice

plunker

Reaction score
Never thought I would get to this point. My mother in law wants asked me to record some hymns for her. She has a cassette player. IThat she is comfortable with. She is 88. I found a cassette recorder/player. The only thong is is that it does not have a microphone, just a 2.5MM jack for input. Which is better, using a microphone for the input, or going right off the pickup for the uke using a jack converter from 3.5MM to 2.5MM. She is in Indiana and I am in south florida. I want to do this as a cassette becuase that is what she knows. If I decide to go with a CD, how would I record it?

For a CD, you could record it on your phone or on your computer with an audio interface or microphone, depending on your setup. Then you just burn the tracks to the CD, very simple!

Booli and others will know more about this, but I think you'd want to use a microphone if you decide to record on the cassette recorder directly. Alternatively, a pre-amp or a DI box, if you go through the pickup, if I recall correctly.

Booli and others will know more about this, but I think you'd want to use a microphone if you decide to record on the cassette recorder directly. Alternatively, a pre-amp or a DI box, if you go through the pickup, if I recall correctly.

I have a small portable amp. do you mean run it through that, what is a DI box?

simple usb mic should do you. if your phone has a decent mic that will work too. how much you wanna spend?

I don't have alot to spend. Remeber she has a cassette player. That being said, it sounds like I can get a mike that goes to a usb port. right

You might find recording/editing software useful. I recommend Audacity on a Windows PC.

Most cassette players have a built-in microphone embedded in the unit. They also usually have a jack (as your unit does) for an external mic. Try recording something on the unit as-is, which will determine if there is an internal mic.

Never thought I would get to this point. My mother in law wants asked me to record some hymns for her. She has a cassette player. IThat she is comfortable with. She is 88. I found a cassette recorder/player. The only thong is is that it does not have a microphone, just a 2.5MM jack for input. Which is better, using a microphone for the input, or going right off the pickup for the uke using a jack converter from 3.5MM to 2.5MM. She is in Indiana and I am in south florida. I want to do this as a cassette becuase that is what she knows. If I decide to go with a CD, how would I record it?

2.5mm for a microphone jack socket is rather unusual, especially on a domestic cassette recorder. I'd double check this before spending anything. A 2.5mm socket is usually for the (cabled) remote control, which is usually just a pause/go switch. Maybe the recorder has a built-in microphone?

Will you just be recording the melody, or vocals as well? If you're doing vocals you'll need a microphone at some point. If only melody, you'll need to be able to adjust your audio levels from the pick-up as the impedance and output voltage is likely to be somewhat different to the original microphone.

Recording to CD will involve using your computer as the recording device, assuming you have a writable CD drive in the computer. Many (most?) laptops have a built-in microphone, most PC's have a microphone jack-socket. You'll need to acquire a suitable microphone to attach to the latter.

As mentioned elsewhere, Audacity for the PC is good free audio editing software for a PC, I'm unfamiliar with other platforms.

It is possible to record and edit the audio on a PC then connect the cassette recorder to the headphone (or line out) socket and record to cassette like that ;)

Good luck!

My mother in law wants asked me to record some hymns for her. She has a cassette player that she is comfortable with. She is 88.

Appropriate technology when appropriate.

Don't give Grandma a CD or MP3s. Give her the technology she is comfortable with-cassette tapes. Buy a few 30 minute tapes, get yourself a microphone from Radio Shack with a 1/8" plug. Experiment with moving the microphone around until you achieve a good balance of Uke and Voice, just record directly into the cassette deck.

I have recorded on computer and digital recorders and in studios and 4 track cassette recorders. The old cassette player in the middle of the kitchen is the most fun.

Most cassette players have a built-in microphone embedded in the unit. They also usually have a jack (as your unit does) for an external mic. Try recording something on the unit as-is, which will determine if there is an internal mic.

This is a good idea. Try recording directly with the built-in mic and see what you get. Maybe you can do the whole project with your only expense being some new cassette tapes.

Why the cassette tape is still not dead

2.5mm for a microphone jack socket is rather unusual, especially on a domestic cassette recorder. I'd double check this before spending anything. A 2.5mm socket is usually for the (cabled) remote control, which is usually just a pause/go switch. Maybe the recorder has a built-in microphone?

i believe lapel mics are 2.5mm.

Thanks Mivo.

Last edited:
@ plunker

Using a computer mic or interface, you can ALSO record INTO your computer/tablet/smartphone.

and THEN using the proper cable from the audio/headphone out go INTO the cassette recorder that you have and record the audio on tape.

Why do this instead of direct to tape?

1. You have an archive copy of your own locally after you send her the tape in case she loses it or you want to use the recordings for something else.

2. You have the option to record the sound without TAPE HISS which occurs on ALL ANALOG tape

3. Once in the computer, in Audacity or similar, you can add compression, reverb, normalization, EQ to tweak the sound more to your liking and add a fade-in and/or fade-out to each song.

4. Going from COMPUTER to cassette will give a MUCH BETTER sounding PLAYBACK from cassette if you do anything from #3 above.

5. You can ALSO take your computer recordings and go to CD/MP3/SoundCloud etc in ADDITION to cassette at any time.

Which mic, interface, software,,,omg OMG O..M.G. - LOTS AND LOTS of recent churning discussion, beating a dead horse at times, in these recent threads, which I encourage you to buckle down and try to get through:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?120478-I-d-like-to-buy-a-mic

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?121325-Recording-Acoustic-without-pick-up

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...tware-recommendations-for-recording-with-iPad

Hope this helps. :)

Which other equipment do you have?

Do you have a microphone?
A PC?
A Tablet?
Does the casette recorder have a line-in to recieve input from a stereo or such? Last time I had a casette recorder, it was part of a stereo that let me record from CD´s, vinyl records etc.

If you have a microphone, and your casette recorder connects to a stereo, here is what I would do:

Record on the PC:
To connect a microphone, you will need either a USB microphone, or a USB interface that allows you to use a regular one. If you have a microphone allready, the latter would probably be smarter. I believe that an interface is about $100 from new, a USB microphone that will offer the same quality as using a standard microphone this way is not cheaper than that. Of course you can use some cheaper microphone, or perhaps even the build in one on your phone or PC. That will offer a significantly lower sound quality though.
I don't know if you can use the amp you have with a microphone to power it so you can use the mic-port on the PC to connect the microphone. I never heard of it, but it might be possible. If you have all the equipment, you can experiment, otherwise go for the other options. The mic-port on the PC will not be able to power a microphone itself.

With a microphone in place, install Audacity and record.

To get the music from the PC to the casette, you can connect it somehow.
Most PC's have a 3.5mm jack out, so if the casette recorder has a line in, just find a cable that fits.
If not, then perhaps it has a CD-drive, so you can work around it by burning a CD on your PC, and transfer the music to a casette on the recorder.
If neither is possible, check if someone you know have a big stereo with casette player. If you allready recorded your stuff, perhaps they will let you transfer the music to the casette at their place in either of the two mentioned ways.

Last edited:
Thanks Mivo.

EDIT: After posting the the big reply below and then going back an re-reading the OP's original post, I am not clear if YOU want to make tapes of YOURSELF, and then send them to her, OR you want to set her up for recording at HER home, and have her send YOU the tapes that you convert to CD?

I somehow answered for and assumed the LATTER. If your question is the FORMER, then I might answer it a bit differently.

Please clarify.

OTHERWISE, my answer for the LATTER OPTION as I had originally said is below:

FYI: I'VE NOTICED THAT LOTS OF TIMES FOLKS JUST GLOSS OVER THE WALL OF TEXT IN MY POSTS AND END UP REPEATING EXACTLY WHAT I SAID BECAUSE THEY DO NOT READ ALL THE OTHER POSTS BEFORE MAKING THEIR REPLY TO THE THREAD. I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU TAKE ADVANTAGE OF MY ~40 YRS OF IN-DEPTH RECORDING EXPERIENCE AND READ THIS POST IN FULL. THANK YOU.:)

TO THE OP:

From experience with my own mother who is going to be 74 this year, the simplest setup, with a minimum of parts, and minimum of buttons to press is going to be the best way.

All of this business with an 88 yr old woman learning to use preamps and USB and computer is going to fry her brain and she is likely to give up in frustration, or torture you for repeated tutorials which she is never going to be able to remember, even if she takes notes and writes everything down.

Go to Radio Shack or Best Buy and get whatever mic you can find that will plug in to the 3.5mm jack (not 2.5mm) and make sure that this mic does NOT have an on/off switch since nobody will ever remember to use it properly. You may have to get a mic that has a 6.3mm (or 1/4" in imperial units) plug and then get the MONO adapter to reduce it down to the 3.5mm (1/8") of the cassette recorder.

Your most compatible mic will be a 'tape recorder microphone' which is a dynamic mic that has 2 plugs, one 2.5mm (to pause the tape transport FROM an ON/OFF switch ON the mic itself) and 3.5mm (for the audio from the mic), ys this is DIFFERENT from the first option above, which will usually be a MUCH better mic, even it is a First-Act $20 'vocal' mic, or a Behringer XM-8500 from Amazon.

If you are not using a 'tape recorder mic', you will end up with a mic that has either an XLR or 1/4", AND then might need to purchase a cable and an adapter down to 1/8" (3.5mm)...

Then I would get some 60 minute NORMAL tapes, not CHROME OR METAL since the record head on a small tape recorder will NOT have enough voltage to use the better ferrite laminates on CHROME OR METAL tapes. Something like the TDK D-60 or Maxell UR-60 should be fine. But the 4-pack or 6-pack. Put the little LABELS on the tape cartridges. Show her how to write the names of the songs on the INDEX CARD that comes in the little plastic box for each cassette. Label each cassette and index card to match - MAMA SONGS #1, MAMA SONGS #2 etc...

There will be some hiss in the recording, which will be nowhere near CD-quality, but if you want to preserve her memories this is the easiest setup of equipment.

Put the tape in the machine, plug the mic in, and set it into record mode and you might have to adjust the RECORD LEVEL via the VOLUME control on the side.

This is likely to be the SIMPLEST way, unless she already has a tablet or smartphone and is VERY comfortable with it's use.

TO make a CD from the TAPE, YOU are going to take the tape and maybe even the cassette player and using the proper cables, YOU will record from the PLAYING tape into your COMPUTER to a WAV file, with a program such as AUDACITY (runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD, etc), and then after, you can use a CD RECORDING program to make a MUSIC CD to play in the car, etc...

With Audacity you can remove the tape HISS, and other artifacts with the built-in effects and there are about 2000 additional FREE effects and filters that are just a download away, some of which are specific to cleaning up recordings imported from analog audio tape.

There are THOUSANDS of software programs to use, across ALL VERSIONS of Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD, etc, but without knowing your computer setup, I cannot recommend which one.

IMHO: Any other procedure or method, with an aged elderly person, with possibly poor retention of technical details, is likely to be nothing more than torture for all involved and a painful exercise in frustration and futility.

There are lots of other details that I've left out here, but these are the basics...

I am happy to consult further and hope this helps get you thinking in the right direction...

Good Luck! :)
Sorry for not being clear. Record just the uke and mail her the tapes.

Top Bottom