Songs and such to teach grandkids

padlin

Reaction score
Heading to the beach with 3 of the grand kids (7,5, and 3) for a week and would like to pickup a couple dolphins to take along to see if they might be interested in plinking around on them. If such exits, I could use suggestions on what to attempt to show kids that might get them interested. Keep in mind they have the attention span of a gnat.

The 3 and 5 year old might be interested in just singing with you; the 7 year old might be ready to learn some chords. I would look at the kids songs in The Daily Ukulele, and Hal Leonard publishes "Kids' Songs for Ukulele."

Here's Baby Beluga, by Raffi.

C
Baby Beluga in the deep blue sea,
............................... G
Swim so wild and you swim so free.
G7
Heaven above, and the sea below,
..............................................C
And a little white whale on the go.

F..................C..................D
Baby beluga, baby Beluga, is the water warm?
......................................G.....G7...G
Is your mama home with you, so happy.

Last edited:
Any Disney song works for my grandkids. But, I get them to play longest when I just hand them a ukulele and let them make up their own songs. They have their own First Act ukuleles.

Here they are on my Outdoor ukulele and a canjo (one string diatonic scale). They are "reading" the songbook from Frozen. They also "tune" with a Reverb tuner. I bring shakers and tambourines for them to use, too.

Attachments

• IMG_20160523_200958943.jpg
    IMG_20160523_200958943.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My kids loved learning twinkle twinkle fingerstlye and then on to amazing grace.

Kids love Marley's 3 Little Birds.

Top Bottom