correct notation for High g or Low G in tabs

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I need so direction on reading tabs. When it says GCEA at top of tab how do you know if that is low or high G? Sometimes I see gCEA and sometimes I see GCEA... and don't know which is which. Sorry, if this is obvious or covered before. Also, is there a good site that lists how you read tabs so you know where the song is going. Thanks in advance

Sometimes I see gCEA and sometimes I see GCEA... and don't know which is which.

Technically, gCEA = reentrant and GCEA = low G, but I sometimes mistakenly see a more generic "GCEA" when the tab is clearly reentrant. So sometimes the person who compiled the tab doesn't even know there is a difference.

Similar question. If the tab is for re-entrant, could you just go up 12 (?) frets to get low G.

The only difference will be on the G/4th string - the bottom three strings are the same regardless of low or high G. So whatever note the tab indicates to play on the 4th string, you'll have to find elsewhere on the fretboard if you're using a low G uke to play a tab written for a reentrant uke.

Thank you all for comments. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Notations seems all over the place. I will carry on and use the resources out there. Too bad there couldn't be a standard. What janeray1940 mentions is how I thought it worked. Ukulele has a more in depth explanation........nwhich ,are me think ther should be a simple standard notation. Thanks all for comments.

Top Bottom