PDA

View Full Version : Got me a new Toy .. Zoom H2

generem
04-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Ha ha.... Got me a new toy...

A Zoom H2 Digital recoder...

Now im gonna sound horrible in stereo..

I wanted to be able to record my progress and I cant seem to play well when the camera is on so I figure I'll try this...

Thought I'd share...

Spooner
04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Zooms are excellent.

I own the H4 and the latest H4N.
These are excellent for in-board recordings as well as live performances with the built in mics.

I LOVE these and you'll definitely love yours.

Captain Google
04-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Congrats! I have their H4, myself. Love the thing.

generem
04-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Sure.. rub it in... H4 people... JK

Thanks. I started recording myself last night and got really comfortable with it about 15 mins in.. I could never with a camera... So.. Now I just need to focus on a song to post... hehehe

Link
04-15-2009, 08:17 AM
All I know is Ken Middleton uses one. His vids sound amazing... so I want one too. Good purchase!

uke5417
06-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I know these things have all sorts of capabilities, but can you use them just as a mic as you record into a computer with a webcam? I have an external mic now, but wanted to upgrade. I want a direct connection and don't want to have to import a sound file each take.

Spooner
06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I know these things have all sorts of capabilities, but can you use them just as a mic as you record into a computer with a webcam? I have an external mic now, but wanted to upgrade. I want a direct connection and don't want to have to import a sound file each take.

How these work is you record onto an SD card.
Importing will be a part of the process.
Of course you can just leave it rolling and cut out what you dont need once you have the take you want (in an audio/video editing program).
Then you would have to sync up your audio with your video in your vid. editing program in order to achieve what you are talking about here.

Personally, I think the best options for video taking for YT is just using a real cam that has good sound. Just chop off what you cont want and convert it to flash (if YT doesnt do that for you..I dont know what they do).

Of course the easiest method is to get one of the better webcams on the market that can record and upload directly to YT. You can get them for under $100.

nikolo727
06-03-2009, 08:05 PM
does anyone know of any cheap way to record videos but still have a good picture and sound?

good webcams anyone?

nikolo727
06-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Of course the easiest method is to get one of the better webcams on the market that can record and upload directly to YT. You can get them for under $100.

nuts. I should have looked at the entire post.

anyway what brand would you recomend.

GrumpyCoyote
06-03-2009, 08:08 PM

Don't know about the H2, but the H4N can...

From the Samson/Zoom site (http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1994&brandID=4)

"The H4n also functions as a USB audio interface, letting you record directly to either a Mac or PC."

psesinkclee
06-03-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm not too keen on webcams at all. I purchased a top of the line logitech webcam with a carl zeiss lens, and my videos cam out lagged to all hell. I'm sticking with the video feature on my digital camera, which gives me nice fat .avi files that are fantastic in quality ;)

Spooner
06-03-2009, 08:12 PM
nuts. I should have looked at the entire post.

anyway what brand would you recomend.

I think that the LogiTech QuickCam Orbit AF is perfect!!

Spooner
06-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Don't know about the H2, but the H4N can...

From the Samson/Zoom site (http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1994&brandID=4)

"The H4n also functions as a USB audio interface, letting you record directly to either a Mac or PC."

Both are multitrack recorders that can record directly to the pc.

nikolo727
06-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I think that the LogiTech QuickCam Orbit AF is perfect!!

tankz spoonz

(i just had the urge to say that haha)

Spooner
06-03-2009, 08:37 PM
tankz spoonz

(i just had the urge to say that haha)

Anytime pal! :shaka:

micromue
06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, I own both: The Zoom H2 and the above mentioned LogiTech QuickCam Orbit AF. While the Zoom H2 is (to me) the near perfect amateur-recording-device, the Logitech Webcam is a piece of crap. Videos lag as hell and the colours are horrible. Have fun with your Zoom H2!

Ahnko Honu
06-03-2009, 10:06 PM
When you said Zoom H2 I thought you meant one of these. :rolleyes:
http://www.strutmasters.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/hummer-h2-suv-with-rear-air-suspension.jpg

HaileISela
06-03-2009, 11:40 PM
When you said Zoom H2 I thought you meant one of these. :rolleyes:
http://www.strutmasters.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/hummer-h2-suv-with-rear-air-suspension.jpg

I think that would be the ZOMG H2

echo
06-04-2009, 05:06 AM
I've been using a Zoom H2 for about a year and a half, and find it to be excellent. Easy to set up and use, very clear recordings. Along with my sorpano Flea, it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Spooner
06-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Well, I own both: The Zoom H2 and the above mentioned LogiTech QuickCam Orbit AF. While the Zoom H2 is (to me) the near perfect amateur-recording-device, the Logitech Webcam is a piece of crap. Videos lag as hell and the colours are horrible. Have fun with your Zoom H2!

The Zoom H2 can certainly be used amateurishly if an amateur is handling it...not claiming that you are.

Webcams are webcams. Like I said my personal preference is is a video camera that has good sound.

The Logitech Orbit AF is the best one on the market IMO.

micromue
06-04-2009, 09:20 PM
The Zoom H2 can certainly be used amateurishly if an amateur is handling it...not claiming that you are.

No offense taken :). What I was trying to say is that the Zoom H2 is easy and intuitive to handle even if you never did any recordings before. Even if you never heard a word about compression, limiter or gain, you will put up a darn good recording quality with the first take. It is also not very expensive and portability is a plus. What I especially like on the Zoom H2 (and the other Zooms ;)) is the fact, that it is always available. I keep it connected to my mac on my desk, which is the place I am practising and noodling with my ukes anyway. So whenever I feel the need to record a whole song or just a sequence (e.g. for practising matters) I just press the button on my zoom and
the recording starts. When I was formerly using USB Mics and preamps it was always a hassle to get the recording environment ready and the recording quality was no way near the Zoom H2. Me like:nana:

echo
06-05-2009, 08:15 AM
The Zoom H2 can certainly be used amateurishly if an amateur is handling it...
Amateur doesn't have to be a term of derision.

People who work with sound professionally spend thousands on microphones, pre-amps, and such - sometimes a single microphone can cost over a thousand dollars.

For its price, the Zoom H2 is excellent and I love it dearly, but it isn't a professional recording device. Most people don't need professional recording gear.

Spooner
06-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Amateur doesn't have to be a term of derision.

People who work with sound professionally spend thousands on microphones, pre-amps, and such - sometimes a single microphone can cost over a thousand dollars.

For its price, the Zoom H2 is excellent and I love it dearly, but it isn't a professional recording device. Most people don't need professional recording gear.

Define "professional." lol

cpatch
06-05-2009, 08:24 AM
When you said Zoom H2 I thought you meant one of these.
No, this is a Zoom H2:

http://news.teaka.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/5.jpg

generem
06-05-2009, 08:29 AM

Im not really sure if this was already answered but yes.. It can be plugged in directly to your computer via usb and be used as an external MIC.

When you plug in the H2, the screen will prompt you on how you want the Mic to be seen.. option is Storage or MIC.. select the one you want and go. My Vista saw the device and installed drivers automatically. I personally have not recorder using it as a system mic but I know it works...

I bought it so I can start recording my self at any given moment. it comes with a table tripod so if i need to record something real quick, its up and ready in a flash...

Love this thing :shaka:

Let me know if you need more info

Spooner
06-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Im not really sure if this was already answered but yes.. It can be plugged in directly to your computer via usb and be used as an external MIC.

When you plug in the H2, the screen will prompt you on how you want the Mic to be seen.. option is Storage or MIC.. select the one you want and go. My Vista saw the device and installed drivers automatically. I personally have not recorder using it as a system mic but I know it works...

I bought it so I can start recording my self at any given moment. it comes with a table tripod so if i need to record something real quick, its up and ready in a flash...

Love this thing :shaka:

Let me know if you need more info

Interesting...I have never seen one of these machines come with the tri-pod. That's usually been an extra you had to order from the book they give with it.

generem
06-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Interesting...I have never seen one of these machines come with the tri-pod. That's usually been an extra you had to order from the book they give with it.

Yeah.. tripod, AC adapter, carrying pouch, Mic handle so it can used on a mic stand and the foam thingy.. it was a great deal for the price

Spooner
06-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Yeah.. tripod, AC adapter, carrying pouch, Mic handle so it can used on a mic stand and the foam thingy.. it was a great deal for the price

Where did you buy yours that it came with the tripod? I feel cheated lol.

cpatch
06-05-2009, 08:35 AM
For anyone looking to buy a portable recorder, there are two online resources I've run across that are very helpful:

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-reviews.html
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/audio/portable-recorder-comparison/

Spooner
06-05-2009, 08:37 AM
For anyone looking to buy a portable recorder, there are two online resources I've run across that are very helpful:

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-reviews.html
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/audio/portable-recorder-comparison/

Of course your local Sam Ash will have these in stock.
The H4 is at a good discount right now but I would definitely recommend the H4n if you are going to do anything more extensive than just some YouTube stuff.

Guitar Centers don't have these from what I have seen.

generem
06-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Where did you buy yours that it came with the tripod? I feel cheated lol.

Got it from a local best buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8890293&st=zoom+h2&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218008397808

Had a 100 Gift cert so it wasnt too bad

cpatch
06-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Of course your local Sam Ash will have these in stock.
Sorry, I didn't word my post very well...the online resources are for feature comparisons/reviews of different recorders (although I think the first one sells them as well).

Spooner
06-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Got it from a local best buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8890293&st=zoom+h2&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218008397808

Had a 100 Gift cert so it wasnt too bad

I have bought the H4 and H4n as well as had a number of friends buy the H4 as well....all from Sam Ash.

I bet those buggers kept the tripods. :mad:

generem
06-05-2009, 08:45 AM
i have bought the h4 and h4n as well as had a number of friends buy the h4 as well....all from sam ash.

I bet those buggers kept the tripods. :mad:

bastards!!!!

Spooner
06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
bastards!!!!

However, I did notice that you are speaking of the H2...and there could be a difference in the "extras" that they give with the H4's.

But yes...bastards! :p

generem
06-05-2009, 08:54 AM
However, I did notice that you are speaking of the H2...and there could be a difference in the "extras" that they give with the H4's.

But yes...bastards! :p

Either way. I think you should go back with a Machete :D and demand for a tripod.. Im sure you can get one free.. But good luck getting away from the cops... :D

Spooner
06-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Either way. I think you should go back with a Machete :D and demand for a tripod.. Im sure you can get one free.. But good luck getting away from the cops... :D

I like the way you think generem! :p

micromue
06-05-2009, 11:01 AM

I would rather worry about getting away from the TRIPOD! :eek:

http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/other/schneider9.jpg

Ukuleleblues
06-06-2009, 12:46 AM

I have a H2 (love it) and you can use it as a USB mic or plug in external mics to it, but no capability to use is as an external mic on a camcorder.

I bought mine on e-bay at unique_squared_inc. It was 179 free shipping and had a silicon jacked and 4GB SD in adition to the 512MB. They have other specials. Real fast shipping.

echo
06-08-2009, 04:53 AM
Define "professional." lol
Recording devices made for people who make their living recording other people are professional recording devices. If you work in a studio that takes paying clients, for instance, you're not going to set down an H2 in front of them intending to turn the result into a commercially-released CD.

Describing the H2 as an amateur recording device is not a slight, though perhaps describing it as 'consumer grade' is less likely to trigger a defensive reaction. It's an excellent recorder, and suitable for a great many people. It's certainly all I need, and I'm very happy with it.

I also have a Nikon Coolpix camera that I really like. I've taken some very nice pictures with it. But I would never describe it as a professional-grade camera.

Spooner
06-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Recording devices made for people who make their living recording other people are professional recording devices. If you work in a studio that takes paying clients, for instance, you're not going to set down an H2 in front of them intending to turn the result into a commercially-released CD.

Describing the H2 as an amateur recording device is not a slight, though perhaps describing it as 'consumer grade' is less likely to trigger a defensive reaction. It's an excellent recorder, and suitable for a great many people. It's certainly all I need, and I'm very happy with it.

I also have a Nikon Coolpix camera that I really like. I've taken some very nice pictures with it. But I would never describe it as a professional-grade camera.

If a person who makes their living recording other people uses a Zoom product that then makes the product a "professional" piece of equipment n'est pas?

My point being, if you're good at what you do (using "you" in general) you'll find a way to get good results from a $300 piece of equipment or a $3,000 piece of equipment. I have gotten some amazing results recording top name musicians with this product (H4 and H4n) both in board and out...stuff that could be sold commercially.

With any recording hardware, a person who makes his/her living recording people will have to edit and master the recording as well.

No, this is not a 24 track machine that you will sit in a studio with and make a "studio album." However, if you have vision and use it to it's full potential you can certainly get "professional" results.

echo
06-08-2009, 08:16 AM
However, if you have vision and use it to it's full potential you can certainly get "professional" results.
As I've said several times, I think it's an excellent recorder and love it. I think the recordings I've made with it sound excellent, and I've gotten compliments on it. But there's no point in describing it as a professional product.

Do you know of a studio anywhere that uses an H2 for professional work?

But again, it misses the bigger point: there's no insult to something (or someone) being described as amateur. Amateurs do it for the love, professionals do it for the money (and hopefully, also the love). Amateur musicians recording with amateur gear can produce excellent, high-quality results. It's not a slight, and there's no need to treat it as such.

Spooner
06-08-2009, 08:24 AM
As I've said several times, I think it's an excellent recorder and love it. I think the recordings I've made with it sound excellent, and I've gotten compliments on it. But there's no point in describing it as a professional product.

Do you know of a studio anywhere that uses an H2 for professional work?

But again, it misses the bigger point: there's no insult to something (or someone) being described as amateur. Amateurs do it for the love, professionals do it for the money (and hopefully, also the love). Amateur musicians recording with amateur gear can produce excellent, high-quality results. It's not a slight, and there's no need to treat it as such.

This is what I am debating: "amateur gear"

You are also putting the "amateur" label on anyone who uses this product...eluding to the fact that a "professional" would not use it.

I am not arguing with you or taking offense. I am championing this product (H4's in particular) in it's defense.

Again, no this is not a studio product but can be used as a professional piece of equipment if one uses it to it's full capabilities. I am a professional and have used it "professionally."

The thread of "the uke is not a real instrument" comes to mind here. lol.

Captain Google
06-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Since this thread has come back to life, there's something I need to point out.

Congrats! I have their H4, myself. Love the thing.

When I said this, I had my numbers mixed up. I have an H2, not an H4.:cool:

14twelve
06-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I have the H2 as well and use it for my videos. It has made a huge difference for me with sound quality, and I'm really happy with it and would recommend it. My inbuilt webcam would only pick up my flea and fluke, whereas this one picks up everything very clearly.

I've only used it as an external mic though - I can't seem to get it to work as a USB mic with a Mac. Has anyone used it with a Mac as a USB mic? I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong... It recognises it ok, but I think it's still recording with the webcam mic, not the H2.

micromue
06-08-2009, 11:27 PM
I can't seem to get it to work as a USB mic with a Mac. Has anyone used it with a Mac as a USB mic? I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong... It recognises it ok, but I think it's still recording with the webcam mic, not the H2.

Im using the H2 with an IMac and it works very well. Indeed you have to deactivate the internal mic in the preferences. And I think (Im not at my mac at the moment) there is also a preference in Garageband/Logic that has to be set. No big deal.

In reference to the amateur-professional thing my not-very-sophisticated remark has triggered: Since I am not a native speaker, I used the word "amateur" from my cultural background, where it has no negative connotation. You make it for your living: professional, you make it for the love of it: amteur. No valuation.
Echo is rightly pointing out, that it would have been approbiate to use the term "consumer grade", but there is no such expression in my language (in fact there is, but it would sound totally nerdy:D)

BTT. The majority of people asking questions on uke forums do not live by their instrument. I think, most readers informing themselves by reading threads like this are more into ukes than into homerecording. Thats why we discuss tripods, connectivity and AC adapters. Not: phase and frequency responses of microphone polar patterns and the H2s SPL of maximum THL(:confused:). I would put it this way: The H2 is perfect for amateurs and useful for professionals. It doesnt "make" you an amateur nor a professional. Its just a device.;)

14twelve
06-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Im using the H2 with an IMac and it works very well. Indeed you have to deactivate the internal mic in the preferences. And I think (Im not at my mac at the moment) there is also a preference in Garageband/Logic that has to be set. No big deal.

Thank you so much for that! I'm using an iMac too, so now I know that it's possible to make it work, I'll play around a lot more with the settings. It would be so great to be able to use it as a USB mic instead of having to sync the audio file later. Thanks for taking the time to answer. :D

cpatch
06-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Thank you so much for that! I'm using an iMac too, so now I know that it's possible to make it work, I'll play around a lot more with the settings.
Check out SoundSource (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/) from Rogue Amoeba...it adds a headphone icon to the menu bar that allows you to quickly change input and output sources and levels from within any program at any time. Best of all, it's free!

veep
06-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Check out SoundSource (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/) from Rogue Amoeba...it adds a headphone icon to the menu bar that allows you to quickly change input and output sources and levels from within any program at any time. Best of all, it's free!

cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

echo
06-10-2009, 04:01 AM
You are also putting the "amateur" label on anyone who uses this product...eluding to the fact that a "professional" would not use it.
You misinterpret my comments, and really aren't catching my point, but no matter. We both agree that the H2 is an excellent product, and can produce excellent results.

14twelve
06-10-2009, 02:01 PM

Thank you so much for that cpatch!!! That looks really cool. I can't wait to get home and try it out now! :D

Spooner
06-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Someone has been asking for me to put a clip up of my Les Rietfors ukulele on YouTube.

To kill two birds with one stone....

I used my Zoom H4n to record me playing a quick clip.

it shows off the quality of Zoom products as well as spotlights Ole Les.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o94QrBoAx4g