Glossing a nitro satin finish

Neal

Reaction score
Have had success using Noxon metal polish on a few Kiwayas, I think those are poly finishes. What to use on a nitro matte finish to gloss it up?

Too much trouble. I was curious about this mainly because I found it so easy to turn the matte finishes of 2 Kiwaya ukes into great glossed finishes with such ease with a metal polish, one I did about 8 years ago, and the finish is still a great gloss, easy to clean, and it gets much play.

But it I think those may have been poly finishes, the one I'm contemplating is nitro, and a small test area showed no results. Thought there may be similar options short of refinishing. Way short ;)

Not a whole lot of responses probably because of the question you asked.

If you asked "Can you gloss a satin finish that has flattening agents in the finish?" The answer would probably be "No."

Your end game action would be a refinish, more than likely.
i have found the best solution, which is best because I had it on hand. Warndt, in another post, suggested Virtuoso cleaner, then the polish. Hadn't thought of that. The cleaner is mildly abrasive, very mildly, and that did the trick without even using the polish.

If you brought the finish back to a gloss finish from a satin finish, then the satin finish was gloss to begin with. If the finish sprayed on was in fact a true, out of the can satin finish, it could not have been brought up to a high gloss, no matter what polish you could have tried. If it is made satin, it says satin. High gloss can be made to any sheen you like.

Why would they do that I wonder.. The 2 brands I've glossed from a matte finish were obviously sold with a matte finish originally.

Why, because gloss finish is usually tougher and harder. You can easily make a gloss into satin and have a tough finish. Satin finish is not as hard and doesn't polish up to gloss. Gloss is the better choice for either sheen.

Why would they do that I wonder.. The 2 brands I've glossed from a matte finish were obviously sold with a matte finish originally.

So the builder basically turns a gloss into a satin/matte finish, correct? Which is why it's possible to turn it back to gloss.

Yes, that is correct. I have always used the highest sheen I could get in nitro lacquer and wool wax it down to the semi-gloss sheen.

So the builder basically turns a gloss into a satin/matte finish, correct? Which is why it's possible to turn it back to gloss.

There's a seat for every butt. I much prefer a gloss, or at least semi-gloss on wood instruments, and others prefer a matte/satin. On the guitar front, I have a few Nationals (wood) and wouldn't consider glossing them..if it were even possible after this discussion. So I suppose I'm open, eh? Thanks Duane, I've learned something new.

Top Bottom