Solid top Flea/fluke?

MARKbOC

Reaction score
Question for you Magic Fluke enthusiasts:
Do the solid wood top flea/flukes require a lot more care than the standard ones? Are they a lot more durable and/or car friendly than a solid, all wood uke?
Trying to figure out if I should get the wood top one or just go standard for a uke that I can take outside, in the car, to the beach etc. I like the wood top but don't want to sacrifice the portability.
Any input is helpful, thx in advance UU! :)

I had a standard laminate top flea as my car uke for a couple years (Indiana summers aren't the hottest, but we frequently hit the mid to upper 90s). It held up fine. I just didn't care for the neck, so I sold it. In the back of my mind I was a little worried of the bridge coming off my flea if it got too hot. It never did, so that worry might have been unwarranted. I don't know about the solid top, but if you are looking for an outdoor/car uke, a standard one is hard to beat.

Orange County, CA is not dry. The average year-round RH is about 50% RH, with a range about 30- 70% RH. It is perfect climate for wood instruments.

Mark: as WCBarnes suggested, go with the laminate top which should be less prone to the climate than a solid top. I think a solid top is less durable than the standard laminate top. It still counts as a wooden top, which appears to be your main criteria.

I've got a laminate top Fluke that I use as a beater, take to the beach, mountains.....sits in the car in all types of nasty weather. ............and is in an unheated house in New England all winter. I kid the Flea/Fluke Krishnas here that I also use it as my emergency kayak paddle. Seriously though, like the old Timex commercial, "It takes a licking, and keeps on ticking!"

From what you describe, go for the laminate. I highly recommend though, that you go for the upgraded geared tuners..............the stock friction tuners leave a lot to be desired............especially under the conditions you are contemplating.

Top Bottom