Glossing a nitro matte finish

Neal

Reaction score
I've had success with Kiwaya, which I think are poly, and Noxon metal polish, but what say you with a nitro satin/matte finish? Anyone have success with that, and how did you go about it?

What the heck, I'll give it another shot. Pretty sure someone around here knows.
so...bump.

Neal,
I had once used Virtuoso cleaner and polish on a Custom Kepasa ukulele that had a satin finish. It came out looking like a beautiful gloss finish with the Virtuoso and a little elbow grease. I was very happy with the outcome on the satin finished Pheasant-wood...more POP!

Some people believe that if you end up having to perform repairs down the line, that the Virtuoso products will cause a problem with any necessary refinishing and or glue adhesion (silicone?).

Just go to AGF and do a search for Virtuoso cleaner and polish...there are a few threads on the subject.

Last edited:
I have the V, cleaner and polish, doesn't gloss the satin finish. Ah well. Probably some sort of auto polish would work, maybe I'll take a chance....
Thought the Noxon would work as on the Kiwayas, so tried a small spot, no good. But again, those are, I believe, poly finish matte, this is nitrocellulose lacquer matte.

Last edited:
I also use Maguires #7 show car polish which contains a very mild abrasive to take out light scratches. Never tried it on a matte finish.

Think I'll go out to the garage and see what I have... I'd hate to screw up a 3500.00 Ko'olau.

Does John even make a satin finish...?

Last edited:
Think I'll go out to the garage and see what I have... I'd hate to screw up a 3500.00 Ko'olau.

Does John even make a satin finish...?
I'll take the screwed up Ko'olau off your hands. I have the shiniest finish on my Makala Dolphin green soprano. (3500 pennies) I also give a big plus plus for Maguires show car polish. I will consider an even swap and I'll pay shipping for each ukulele.

'Tis me again. I forgot to mention a couple of my favourite players. Kimo Hussey and Sam Lemann. How could I not mention them when talking about Ko'olau.

Sorry Jim, I was joking about the Ko'olau, don't have one. I had a Pono once though some years back.

and thank you Bill for the tip.

Neal,
I had once used Virtuoso cleaner and polish on a Custom Kepasa ukulele that had a satin finish. It came out looking like a beautiful gloss finish with the Virtuoso and a little elbow grease. I was very happy with the outcome on the satin finished Pheasant-wood...more POP!

Some people believe that if you end up having to perform repairs down the line, that the Virtuoso products will cause a problem with a necessary refinish and or glue adhesion (silicone?).

Just go to AGF and do a search for Virtuoso cleaner and polish...there are a few threads on the subject.
I was wrong. Thought I'd go over it with a bit more determination with the Virtuoso cleaner, and it has resulted in a very acceptable gloss. Thanks for making me think.

The ease with which Noxon 7 glossed my Kiwayas (KTS-6, Taropatch) seduced me into laziness. Not that the Virtuoso made me rub so hard to compromise the braces, it was rather a tender bonding time, lovingly, but firmly, caressing the dark, yet rich, Honduran Mahogany until it shone like the bronzed Taipa tree in the setting sun.

My next bad romance novel is due in early 2017. "It was a dark and stormy night"...I think that's how I'll start it.

I was wrong. Thought I'd go over it with a bit more determination with the Virtuoso cleaner, and it has resulted in a very acceptable gloss. Thanks for making me think.

The ease with which Noxon 7 glossed my Kiwayas (KTS-6, Taropatch) seduced me into laziness. Not that the Virtuoso made me rub so hard to compromise the braces, it was rather a tender bonding time, lovingly, but firmly, caressing the dark, yet rich, Honduran Mahogany until it shone like the bronzed Taipa tree in the setting sun.

My next bad romance novel is due in early 2017. "It was a dark and stormy night"...I think that's how I'll start it.

I should have mentioned that it is always recommended to use caution when inhaling chemicals...it's best to space your work time into short intervals, so as not to be overcome by fumes.

I should have mentioned that it is always recommended to use caution when inhaling chemicals...it's best to space your work time into short intervals, so as not to be overcome by fumes.
Now he tells....

Romance Novel 101 hints and tips........"It was a bright moonlit night, I could feel the romance floating aimlessly around us"

I've used Maguires scratch removing polish . just go slow so you don't burn all the way through the finish.

Romance Novel 101 hints and tips........"It was a bright moonlit night, I could feel the romance floating aimlessly around us"
I simply DO need to work on my prose!

I've used Maguires scratch removing polish . just go slow so you don't burn all the way through the finish.
I sampled a bit of Maguires rubbing compound, very gently, in a corner, er, "curve", and maybe that stuff is too aggressive, and already had the bottles of Virtuoso. The cleaner was perfect.

Top Bottom