Baritone 6 string - G cC e aa?

beowoulfe

Reaction score
I have looked everywhere on the Net and here and can't find a production 6 string baritone with 4 string courses, so I'm asking if anybody knows of a company. I've seen customs, but I'm not good enough to appreciate one of those. I'm in the $200 - $350 range.

Lots of tenor sized ones out there, but I have really grown to love my bari. -----Thanks

I'm not an expert on the instruments - still, there are some affordable 20" scale Guileles that I'd think could be modified at the nut and bridge without too much expense.

I'd discourage that tuning, however. The octave 3rd course C note it looks like you're writing (c") is a delicate thing @ 17" and would be unreliable @ 19-20". You could tune down a set designed for C tuning @ 17" to around a B flat and then use a capo if needed for group play in C, or go down to a G tuning. Either way you'd have a lot more reliable string set.

Last edited:
I have looked everywhere on the Net and here and can't find a production 6 string baritone with 4 string courses, so I'm asking if anybody knows of a company. I've seen customs, but I'm not good enough to appreciate one of those. I'm in the $200 - $350 range.

Lots of tenor sized ones out there, but I have really grown to love my bari. -----Thanks

Have you ever played a six string? I had an Ohana tenor and didn't like it at all for fingerpicking, though it was okay for strumming. I traded it in on a Kala eight string which I really like a lot.

Fingerpicking the six string felt too strange to me. Some strings single and some double, and it was difficult for me to always fret the double strings correctly.

Lots of Ukers here really like their sixers a lot, but I'd advise you to try one before you buy. :eek:ld:

I guess if I have to I could go with a modified guilele. :)

I really don't do much fingerpicking, well, maybe none. I'm a strummer.

Thanks

Well, even strumming, you still gotta fret it. :eek:ld:

Yeah, you're right; but I'm OK with fretting. I've read that the 8 strings are more difficult than 6, so; I'm thinking 6. But even a tenor-6 is hard to find here for a demo. The prospect of extra sound and harmonics is interesting to me.

I had the opportunity to play a local UU Greenie's 6-string recently. It was a pretty basic Lanikai O6 (I think) and really liked it. I think it's a very good addition if all you have are 4-stringers now. I was surprised by how easy it was to fret. I too am only a strummer. I would get one (obviously one that's set-up). I have never seen or heard of a baritone one though. It seems to be a tenor-only thing, probably due to its limited market.

Top Bottom