Ukulele Storage:

JJFN

Reaction score
My ukulele's have officially taken over my spare bedroom where my wife kindly allows me to pick and strum away. I am thinking of leaning my ukulele's, kept in a hard case, against a wall. Anyone see any problems with this? My thinking is since they are in a hard case, there shouldn't be any pressure on them. I searched the Forum and couldn't find any mention of this method.

Just to be clear, you want to lean your ukes upright, in their case, against your bedroom wall? This shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a toddler or large dog in the house that may knock them over. Just be careful where you place the humidifier within the case.

Just to be clear, you want to lean your ukes upright, in their case, against your bedroom wall? This shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a toddler or large dog in the house that may knock them over. Just be careful where you place the humidifier within the case.

That's it exactly. Good point about the humidifier. Thank you for the info.

I do a similar thing as my instrument collection has passed the point of absurd for the size dwelling my wife and I live in. I actually place my hardshell guitar (acoustic and electric) cases standing up, and then stack my ukuleles in their cases on top of them. I'm just careful when I dig to the bottom of the stack (which I have to do often, for humidification in Colorado is quite necessary). And yep, pay attention to that humidifier placement. I've managed to put 14 or so stringed instruments in an area of about 3x4 feet. Madness.

JJFN, there's a thread here in the forum about putting ukes in plastic storage boxes and keeping them under the beds. We have one of those boxes full of cycling clothes under our bed.

The boxes fit well and don't take up much room. You can humidify them too. Each box holds two or three humidified Ukes. :eek:ld:

That is the exact way I store my ukes, in a hard case standing up propped against a wall. Works great with no issues.

Might want to have them leaning against an inside wall in cold weather.

I put a little loop of an old shoe lace cut in three pieces for my three ukes around the top two tuners and hang them on an inside wall ready to go every day. I only use a case every time I go out with one. We are blessed here in Ontario with the humidity. I have a little portable humidifier that I put a gallon of water a day in during the winter time.
PS: I am also confined to my wee den (spare bedroom) JJFN.

Last edited:
Might want to have them leaning against an inside wall in cold weather.

Agree, I'd be nervous about an outside wall.

Agree, I'd be nervous about an outside wall.
I'd think a hard case would be insulation enough for the inside of an outer wall no? I mean my walls to the outside aren't generally cooler than inside walls, at least not to any discernable degree.

Cabinet.jpgCabinet 3.jpgCabinet 2.jpg

My solution was an antique bookcase, String Swings and UV filtering acrylic, (made for cases, not picture framing). Except for one concert and one soprano, the cases live in plastic boxes and are stored away. There is a hygrometer inside the cabinet and humidity control is fairly easy. In the summer, it takes care of itself, and in the winter, a few containers of distilled water keeps everything hydrated. Total cost was about $600.00. It's nice to be able to see them and just grab whichever one best suits my mood.

django, that is gorgeous! Was considering the plastic storage bin option suggested upthread, but I LOVE your solution. Nice way to keep them safe, while enjoying their beauty and displaying your love for all things uke.

View attachment 94078View attachment 94077View attachment 94076

My solution was an antique bookcase, String Swings and UV filtering acrylic, (made for cases, not picture framing). Except for one concert and one soprano, the cases live in plastic boxes and are stored away. There is a hygrometer inside the cabinet and humidity control is fairly easy. In the summer, it takes care of itself, and in the winter, a few containers of distilled water keeps everything hydrated. Total cost was about $600.00. It's nice to be able to see them and just grab whichever one best suits my mood.

aw how sweet is THAT? :)

Mine have increased to the point where they look untidy if I just prop them against a wall. :rolleyes:

So six of them (concerts, long neck, & soprano) now sit in a folding plastic crate in their gig bags.

My baritone rests atop my electric piano, (which I haven't got around to learning to play yet), in it's gig bag.

My amp sits on a re purposed bookcase, which has my old flute, a RISA solid concert, in their cases, & my collection of music books, etc.

Last but not least, my RISA Uke Ellie tenor, in it's case, sits alongside of my computer.

I'm not sure where my new Ohana SK30L will go, but it will be on a stand ready to grab & play when it arrives for the first few weeks. :)

So classy looking and functional! Much easier done when playing sopranos than larger sizes! ;-)

So classy looking and functional! Much easier done when playing sopranos than larger sizes! ;-)
I need to consider this as well. With 4 solid wood ukes, watering them individually every other day for 4 months is going to be a bit of a bother. Last year I had only two which was ok...

Winter is coming.

I need to show my wife this photo. She might be more inclined to let me have more than one uke at a time. (I need more ukes, right?)
BTW, you did a great job on the case.
Is that an Underwood typewriter on the top?

Thank you for all of the positive comments. My only contribution was finding it, hanging some String Swings and replacing the glass with uv filtering acrylic. Those deserving credit did their part more than 100 years ago.

The typewriter is an Oliver #5. Phonograph is a Columbia AZ. The pretty woman with the banjo is Theresa Vaughan and Teddy needs no introduction. The case is only 43 inches wide and would comfortably hold 5 or 6 tenors or 8 concerts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom