New Build - Kinnard Baritone

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of playing many great ukes. One of the absolute stand-out instruments I've ever played was the very first Kinnard baritone (Cedar/EIR). This uke was not sold, it traveled to shows. I watched quite a number of people's faces light up up when they played it as I've sat with Kevin at a few shows (no I don't work for John Kinnard, I'm just a bonafide Kinnard fanboy!). I've played well over 20 Kinnards. Practically all have been at least incredibly good and flawlessly finished. But we're talking about one of those very, very special instruments (I put my spruce/maple Hive in this very rare category). Here is the sound sample of that first Kinnard baritone.

I decided to commission a baritone from John & Kevin. Rather than use the same woods, I wanted to use my beloved spruce and maple. Knowing I'm a sucker for finely figured wood, Kevin sourced some crazy quilted maple for me. And I mean crazy. Man, I was really excited.

Then, not too long after I committed, that very first baritone was offered on HMS. I almost burst a blood vessel in angst as I had to keep my finger from clicking "Check Out" since I kept adding it to my HMS cart. It was pure torture. I agonized over grabbing it and then switching my existing order to a tenor. Thankfully, it went lickety split to a wonderful buyer that I know (who owned other Kinnards) so my suffering was quelled.

But alas, I won't really know until I get mine if I made the right decision. It's now just 3-4 weeks away from completion. Gulp.

This cutaway quilted maple baritone features a torrefied spruce top. Torrefication uses roasting to achieve the same effects as greatly aged wood. I doubt one could tell in a blind test, but what the heck. The spruce is beautiful even if there isn't any tonal benefit.

I'll post a few more pics along the way and then hopefully by mid-August, a NUD!

WOW!!! That is absolutely beautiful! The maple looks almost 3D! I can't wait to see and hear it! Congrats Eddie!!

Last edited:
That's a beauty!!!

Up,Up and away. The quilting looks like big puffy clouds, just gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Eddie! Looks outstanding already, and I bet it will sound this way, too!

I played the Kinnard prototype baritone on more than one occasion (and yes, I almost bought it myself), and based on how great it sounded, I asked Kevin and John to build me a tenor guitar, which is an incredible instrument. Congratulations! I'm sure you're going to love your baritone.

Wow, what beautiful wood. I'm sure it will sound even better than it looks, which is incredible.

It's always a pleasure to see someone else get a Kinnard uke. This will be a spectacular look and sound. Much congratulations!

Big Kinnard fanboy here :) That Bari is spectacular and the one you have in progress looks like it will be amazing too. One day i'll figure out the $ to order one just like yours...

Another beauty Eddie. You definitely have an eye for gorgeous figured woods. John Kinnard's work is superb!

Really nice Eddie. Bet this one will be your "go to" uke! I know I sure like playing the baritone, along with all the others to keep me honest.

Build update.

I wanted something other than plain dots for fret markers:

She went into the spray booth for the first coat! Look at that quilting!!!

The Torrefied spruce top has a nice, darker color and some striking grain:

That's it for now.

Wow Eddie. Too gorgeous for words! Love the fret markers.
If I ever won the lottery a Kinnard would likely be my first purchase .
I am grateful for what I have but can't seem to stop looking LOL so I love when you folks post pictures and soundtracks. I think and Opio is far more likely- and even then ..... a stretch.
Can't wait to see the finished product.

Wow Eddie. Too gorgeous for words! Love the fret markers.
If I ever won the lottery a Kinnard would likely be my first purchase .
I am grateful for what I have but can't seem to stop looking LOL so I love when you folks post pictures and soundtracks. I think and Opio is far more likely- and even then ..... a stretch.
Can't wait to see the finished product.

I really appreciate your kind words and joy in sharing in the experience. I know that I am very fortunate to be able to have some nice instruments, far beyond my "need" or playing ability. I'll keep my fingers crossed you get a winning lottery ticket so you can get a Kinnard. If I was running for president, everyone would get one! ;-)

Top Bottom