Late NUD: Sinker Redwood/Cocobolo Concert Uke from John Kinnard

Rakelele

Reaction score
Weather and work have been keeping me from posting a NUD, but this one really deserves to be shown. It's a Series 3 Concert Ukulele made by John S. Kinnard, with a Sinker Redwood top, Cocobolo back & sides, Curly Maple binding, Blue Abalone rosette, a side sound port and a slotted headstock with Gotoh Stealth tuners.

My idea for this build was for something that sounds and looks like a modern tenor, but in the smaller size of a concert, which is cuter and, at times, more comfortable to play for me. So, how did this work out?

It really looks like a shrunk tenor. I love the classy combination of dark woods with light appointments. The slotted headstock and small tuning machines add to this understated elegance. Craftsmanship is excellent, right up there with the best. Flawless execution, and wonderful attention to detail. Very nice finish work, too.

The uke is strung linear to my preference, strings are Southcoast HML-RW with wound G and C. They really work well for that tenor-like tone I'm looking for. The sound is far from being barking and percussive, but offers long sustain, great clarity and excellent note separation, just like I was hoping. As was to be expected, with its smaller body and shorter scale, this uke isn't quite as loud as a real tenor, especially with the bass notes, but it doesn't have to be: This is now my go-to uke for playing softly at night, cuddled up on the sofa.

Thanks to John Kinnard and Kevin Beddoe who kept me up to date with photos at all times. The pictures from the build can be seen here. A sound sample from Kevin has been posted in that thread as well (thanks again for posting it, Dave).

Kinnard_100.jpg Kinnard_101.jpg Kinnard_103.jpg Kinnard_113.jpg Kinnard_115.jpg

Very nice indeed, congratulations! That top is fantastic :D. Kinnard ukes always have that exquisite feeling.

I have the exact same case for my KoAloha, great one isnt it?

Fabulous Uke, Rainer ... I think I need a Kinnard Uke ... sweet looking and sounding for sure.

Really nice! It's great to see someone's plans and excitement come to fruition - hope you enjoy it forever.

Love the sound port, mainly because you can see all the bracing and internal detail at a glance - that appeals to me.

Beautiful! So great that it accomplished your plan for a concert that sounds like a tenor.

I had my fingers crossed you would hate it, so I could take it off your hands. ;-) Just kidding. It is such a beauty and while I'm not surprised you're so pleased, I'm very happy for you!

Visually stunning, truly one of my favorite ukuleles to look at. The sound matches the looks as it should with an instrument of this caliber. It is the complete package. I am glad I could help out with posting the sound sample. Enjoy it, as I know you will, congratulations.

Gorgeous instrument and nice photos, thanks for sharing. Wonderful tone and resonance too. It almost sounds like a small classical guitar! :shaka:

Thanks everybody! I'm really enjoying this one. Eddie and Campbell, your recommendations of Kinnard made me very confident that I would like mine. Simon, you are right: you'll need one. Excellent craftmanship, great tone, and easy playability with low action, a compound radius, and a fully bound freatboard. Dave, good to know we have a similar taste in ukes. Always a pleasure sharing thoughts with you. Steedy, you have good ears: it's precisely that guitar-like sound I like. Thanks for bringing up the case, cml: Indeed, this Crossrock is nice, very sturdy, and more importantly, a lot less heavy than other cases.

Top Bottom