My latest and greatest faux pas!

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
While working on the neck of my new project, I kept noticing that it seemed too long, so occasionally I'd measure it from nut to heel, only to find that it was dead on the money, 9 7/8"". It was only after I started on the fret board that I discovered the measurement in reality was 9 1/8" as clearly shown on my plan!
After the usual choice words regarding my befuddled brain, I figured there was nothing to lose by slicing off the extra 3/4" and making another scarf joint at the nut. Not for one moment, though, did I think it would be successful. After marking two lines each about 20 degrees and parallel to each other 11/16" apart, I clamped the neck on its side to a straight length of wood to hold it at 90 degrees to the band saw table and sawed away the superfluous piece!
Surprisingly, the fit between the remaining pieces wasn't too bad and after some filing and sanding, I had a pretty good scarf joint. It took some imagination to set up a jig to hold the two joining pieces and to stop them from sliding when glued, but somehow it all worked out and when un clamped, I was amazed to see that everything was lined up pretty darn straight!
I should have photographed the whole procedure, it would have simplified my explanation, but at the time I had other things on my mind, but, while I was re shaping the joint area, I realized that the join line was about to disappear, if so, who would believe me when I told them my story! So I took a couple of pics as proof.
So, on one hand I goofed badly, but on the other hand, still came out smiling!

Bob

Attachments

• neck joint.jpg
    neck joint.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 109
  • neck joint 4.jpg
    neck joint 4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 119
Top Bottom