NVUD: Maccaferri Islander

OhioBelle

Reaction score
New Vintage Uke Day! Holy Cow THIS is what the Waterman should have been. Now I understand what the Cult of the Islander is all about. I just received this beauty today, and it is already in my top 3: Cocobolo, Mainland, Islander. It is such a joy to hold and play. Low action and sweet sound. Light as a feather, too. I don't even care that it has friction tuners - my first!

Enjoy some pics of her in the sunshine.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That looks really well built. Are the fret lines painted on? I have problem with my Fluke because its hard to see the frets. I've painted the lines but then keep coming off. Even the fret dot markers on the fret board are wearing off. Did they ever make a Tenor?

That looks really well built. Are the fret lines painted on? I have problem with my Fluke because its hard to see the frets. I've painted the lines but then keep coming off. Even the fret dot markers on the fret board are wearing off. Did they ever make a Tenor?

It seems crazy well built. I can't believe they made this thing sixty years ago! It's in such great shape. I honestly can't tell if the plastic fret lines are painted or not. The silvery color seems to go all the way through. And as old as it is, I would expect paint to be worn off by now.

It IS such an awesome little uke. I've never heard of a tenor, but what do I know? Ha ha! If there was a tenor out there, I'd be interested to see how the molded plastic sounds on a bigger body.

And - THANKS Campbell! What strings do you have on yours? I'm guessing these are Aquilas on mine. If they are, it's the first time I've liked Aquilas!

Crazy cool color of the neck! Very 60 Peace and Love!

That is one super cool ukulele. I love the grain on the neck and back, like swirly, twirly gum drops. Peace Love and Ukulele Man...............so groovy.:cool: Congratulations, the biggest compliment I can give you is I really want one now. Enjoy it

Thanks , Dave and bonesigh. I feel very lucky to have found this one. I really just wanted it for the history behind it. The fact that it plays so well and sounds so good is an unexpected bonus.

I'd say I was tickled pink! Or is that "tickled purple?" :p

Congratulations! That's a beauty! I've been interested in those because of the history, but now it's definitely going on my want list after seeing yours :)

Wow, love that cool vintage Bowling-Ball purple back.

Congratulations! That's a beauty! I've been interested in those because of the history, but now it's definitely going on my want list after seeing yours :)

Yes, JeLeh. You totally need one. Everybody needs one. Holding one of these is 100% guaranteed happiness.

And Igor, I thought exactly the same thing. It looks like a bowling ball. I've always loved swirly bowling balls. The swirlier, the better! It also reminds me of a colorful resin fountain pen, another one of my favorite things.

It's holding a tune pretty well for what I suspect are fairly new strings. The 2nd string tuner is really stiff though, because of the age. At some point I think I'll replace the tuners. I'll have to find some that look as cool as the uke. :cool:

congratulations on your 1st vintage uke!

Love this, OhioBelle! I want my first soprano to be an Islander now!

The Islander pamphlet that came with my recent find says "metalized" frets. I also notice the Islanders have dark fretboards and the T.V. Pal has a light fretboard. Is there really metal in the Islander frets?

Thanks! It's quite cool and fun, although it mostly just decorates my office now. :)

And as far as I can tell, there's no metal in those frets! Probably some 50's advertising lingo, ha ha!

Thanks! It's quite cool and fun, although it mostly just decorates my office now. :)

And as far as I can tell, there's no metal in those frets! Probably some 50's advertising lingo, ha ha!

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I have a couple of sets of strings on the way and have been thinking about fret wear.

Top Bottom