Bending Ebony: Very Hard

sequoia

Reaction score
Frustrating afternoon trying to bend ebony binding. Is this stuff brittle or what? Ha ha! A couple years ago I tried bending ebony binding and my score was: Wood Worker: 0 and Ebony Binding 2. Total failure. So why did I think I could bend this stuff now? Final score: Wood Worker: 1/2 and Ebony 3 1/2. The 1/2 is maybe a usable piece of binding. The other piece completely shattered at the waist. Picture below of the salvageable piece with some work. But I'm done with ebony... for now.

DSCN7122.jpg

What is your process? Here is what i like and have no problems whatsoever.
1. Thickness to about .075,
2. mist with water
3. wrap with tin foil
4. on a solid form stack springbuck steel, wood,blanket,springback steel,
5. heat to 300 and bend, bending takes about 4-5 minutes turn heat off
6. let cool to about 150 and then reheat to 275 and then turn heat off

Have never had a problem once I started the above process with Ebony. In the beginning I used to bend, to thick or too fast or too much heat.

SuperSoft II. Wish it were not so expensive to get across the border otherwise I would be using it.

Yeah, I probably bent too fast (I only so much patience). Also thinning at the waist is probably a good idea. I'm sure the stuff bends, but I'm done. I bent some koa afterwards and it bent perfectly like spaghetti in seconds... Yes Allen good point. I mean black is black. Not like I'm looking for a pretty grain. Also faux tortoiseshell works as a dark contrast. Plus it sure as hell is easier to bend.

Top Bottom