Ziricote, maple, myrtle, ebony and black veneer rosette
Port Orford cedar neck
Macassar ebony binding
Peghed tuners (thanks TheCraftedCow)

IMG_3221.jpg
IMG_3224.jpg
IMG_3235.jpg
IMG_3239.jpg

Spectacular! Particularly the headstock. The ebony really complements that beautiful myrtle.

Bet it sings like a dream, too.

AWESOME! :drool:

Yowza! :drool:

Can you talk about the bridge? I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

Yowza! :drool:

Can you talk about the bridge? I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

It's a bridge like an eighteen hole classical guitar bridge only for an ukulele it's 12 holes, 3 for each string. Since it's ebony and the strings are Worth Browns it's a little hard to see. I like it because there are no windings to pull up on the string, no knots to make and it has a clean look. It's a little harder to thread larger strings through the bottom hole but not too bad. Here's another ukulele where it's easier to see.

cw2DSC_0541.jpg

Very nice, I'm always impressed to see pictures of your work. Keep 'em coming!

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing this. I really like LN versions.

Last edited:
Nice! Love the clean look of the bridge but can imagine as you say it might be a challenge with thicker strings. With that design, does a uke need to be designed specifically for low or high G and not so interchangeable?

Ken, excellent work. Love the bridge design. Very clean and simple. Looks like you push string thru the bottom hole, loop it thru the right hole, then around to left hole and tuck the tail under the bottom hole. Tension pulls it tight, then you string to pegheds. Very simple. Do you offer you tenors using Gotoh UPT tuners also?

Nice! Love the clean look of the bridge but can imagine as you say it might be a challenge with thicker strings. With that design, does a uke need to be designed specifically for low or high G and not so interchangeable?

Thanks, Eddie. The bridge is easily interchangeable for low or high G but for proper intonation you need two saddles since a low G requires more compensation.

Ken, excellent work. Love the bridge design. Very clean and simple. Looks like you push string thru the bottom hole, loop it thru the right hole, then around to left hole and tuck the tail under the bottom hole. Tension pulls it tight, then you string to pegheds. Very simple. Do you offer you tenors using Gotoh UPT tuners also?

That's exactly how I do it M3Ukulele. I'm going to have to copy those concise instructions and include them with my instruments! With some fat low G strings I have to crimp the end a little to get it started. Since my work is tailored to the player, except for those ukuleles built for shows, I put on whatever tuners the player wants. I like the Gotoh UPTs too and have used them often especially for replacements of old worn out friction tuners. They are a little more than twice the weight though so I like the Pegheds for sopranos even if there is a learning curve to use them.

Just when I thought my UAS was under control.... :drool: Beautiful work Ken!

Hi Ken,

Do you have any sound samples? I'm sure many here would love to have a listen.

Actually, I don't have the ukulele anymore but maybe I could borrow it back sometime. I'd have to figure out who would do the demo too. Around here there aren't many who could show off it's attributes but I'll work on it.

Wow, just wow. What a fabulous looking uke. Yummy!

More Pics

I had a PM request for more photos and since I can't post them from my computer in a PM I thought I'd post them here. Sorry, no sound clip yet.

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

I really like the bridge design. I thought tie bridges were my favorite, but this looks even better (and aesthetically more pleasing). A very beautiful instrument. :)

Sound Sample

Hi Ken,

Do you have any sound samples? I'm sure many here would love to have a listen.

I had a friend, Sheridan Malone, come by to help me with a sound sample on this soprano ukulele. I have tried to upload a Youtube video of the quick, one-take effort that I shot with my iphone, without much success. It keeps telling me that the upload was aborted. Clearly I'm going to have to learn more about this. But I was able to include a sound sample only on a page of my website from a Zoom H4n recorder. It's not very well-produced but you can get a pretty accurate idea of the tonal possibilities of the instrument. Just click on the link below the first picture. http://www.franklinguitars.com/Site/Lucy.html

Top Bottom