Aquila prototype strings?

hammer40

Reaction score
I came across this video from HMS of some prototype Aquila strings being used. Anyone know anything about what they may be? I know they have talked about fluorocarbon strings in the past. Could these finally be them?

https://vimeo.com/175502566

I came across this video from HMS of some prototype Aquila strings being used. Anyone know anything about what they may be? I know they have talked about fluorocarbon strings in the past. Could these finally be them?

https://vimeo.com/175502566

This is the first I heard since Mimmo mentioned that their PVDF pellets were coming on a slow boat from China like 18 months ago, which they needed to make fluoro strings...

HOWEVER, about 3 months ago I noticed their CRISTALLO strings for classical guitar:

http://aquilacorde.com/modern-instrument-sets/modern-instrument-products/5778/cristallo/?lang=en

but there's no definition of 'Supercrystal Nylon' and if that's the Dupont/Segovia-based monofilament or the PVDF-based fluorocarbon...

alas, if HMS has it to test out, one can hope that access by us plebs is not far off...:)

Always interested in what Aquila is going. A new string.... a new Fluorocarbon string or a mixture......... if there is more info coming, I will watch and wait.

Recently mixed a red 3rd string with a step of Lava's to reduce the boom of the C string in the Laval's . It seemed to work very well on this particular ukulele. I've since gone back to all Lava's on this ukulele but it was fun experiment.

Would definitely try anything new from Aquila in particular fluorocarbon if they come out with it. As a rule until I tried Reds a second time and tried Lava's I wasn't much of a fan for the Nylgut or New Nylgut ........

In the UU coverage of the winter NAMM, Mimmo showed some mint colored strings they were designing for Aldrine:

In the UU coverage of the winter NAMM, Mimmo showed some mint colored strings they were designing for Aldrine

I do not see these strings on the Aquila web site, nor stringsbymail.com nor stringsandbeyond.com as of yet, which seems a long time since Jan 24, 2016 to now, maybe they were made ONLY for Aldrine.

I know he's very special, but does Aldrine have that level of influence with Aquila? :p whereby these mint strings are exclusively made just for Aldrine? :music:

I do not see these strings on the Aquila web site, nor stringsbymail.com nor stringsandbeyond.com as of yet, which seems a long time since Jan 24, 2016 to now, maybe they were made ONLY for Aldrine.

I know he's very special, but does Aldrine have that level of influence with Aquila? :p whereby these mint strings are exclusively made just for Aldrine? :music:
In product development, January was not long ago...;):shaka:.

A few months ago Mimmo sent me a set of those Thundergut bass strings for evaluation. They are definitely less sticky than before, still not as smooth as the Road Toad Pahoehoe, but I plan on using the new Thunderguts on my acoustic fretless custom bass uke in the next few days (just have to find the nut I had made for those strings).

BWE bass uke done.jpg

WOW! Those sounded excellent! I will keep my eyes (and ears :) ) out for them!

Top Bottom