PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on strings for a concert resonator uke wanted

guitarsnrotts
07-25-2016, 01:24 PM
I have a Gretsch Concert Resonator Uke. It came with Nylguts and wasn't a fan. I installed Worth BMs which are my go to strings and just don't care for their 'wimpy' sound. Would welcome other suggestions.

Ukulele Eddie
07-25-2016, 01:32 PM
I'm going to watch this thread closely as well. I often suffer from SCO (string changing obsession) until I find the right combo for a particular uke. I have yet to embark on the mission with my National Resonator. My, er, ah, gut (string joke! I'm here all week folks, don't forget to tip your servers ;-) tells me a thicker/harder string will be better. I'm not typically a fan of Nylguts either, but they be more appropriate for a resonator. Wonder if a heavy Southcoast string might be another option?

Captain Simian
07-25-2016, 01:46 PM
On both my concert resos I have D'Addario clear nylon strings. Great tension and nice warm tone.

ksiegel
07-25-2016, 03:09 PM
A friend of mine here in the Albany (NY) Area uses Worth Brown on his resonators. I liked the sound/feel of them, so I'm planning on trying them too - after I have the biscuit replaced on my National (it is too low for me). To see what the worth brown are like, I had Mim install them on my Moku soprano, and I quite like them.

I'm also thinking about contacting Dirk at Southcoast Strings, and getting his recommendation for strings for the National.

After that biscuit is changed, of course...

-Kurt

PhilUSAFRet
07-25-2016, 03:34 PM
Resouker recommends D'Addario EJ65T and Labella Pro/Fremont Soloist Squeekless low G for all resoukes. I have a set, just haven't installed them yet.

pbagley
07-27-2016, 03:52 AM
I too am watching this thread. A concert scale reso-uke is on my list... and I probably should sell one or two of my other ukes to make room.

When it comes to reso's, I assumed that a brighter string would naturally bring out the best qualities of the instrument. Something like Oasis Brights. Then I thought some more and considered that Aquila Reds seem to pull a little extra something out of every instrument I've tried them on. I'll call it "body" - I have not found a better term for the richer and fuller sound with all of the volume of other strings I've tried. They are probably not perfect for every uke, but I like them where I've used them so far.

If it were me, I'd work my way through a few sets of strings until I found the sound I'm looking for.

Good luck, and please let us know what strings you like and don't like.

JesterBlod
07-27-2016, 03:53 AM
I put on Kala Pearls, they really punched the sound out.

pbagley
10-31-2016, 02:55 PM
I finally bought a reso-uke. I replaced the stock Aquila nylaguts with Aquila Reds. I think the Reds sound better and have just a bit less tension. I have a set of Worth Browns to try next.

DonPedro
11-06-2016, 09:56 AM
Aquilla Reds with wound low G are the best so far on my concert Ashbury. Made this "Cheap" uke come alive. Now looking for a quality replacement cone and biscuit. Think it's 6 1/2 inches. Any sugestions guys/girls.

pbagley
11-29-2016, 03:42 PM
I finally bought a reso-uke. I replaced the stock Aquila nylaguts with Aquila Reds. I think the Reds sound better and have just a bit less tension.

Well, it finally happened. I broke an Aquila Red. The low G snapped at the tuning peg as I tuned for the first workshop of the day.

Last night I threw on a set of Oasis Bright low G. Not a new set, a used set I had briefly on the Kala cedar top concert. Because of the difficult threading when tie stringing, I went with a knot. They settled in overnight and the brighter strings sound pretty nice on this reso-uke.