Strings Recommendation on strings for a concert resonator uke wanted

guitarsnrotts

Reaction score
I have a Gretsch Concert Resonator Uke. It came with Nylguts and wasn't a fan. I installed Worth BMs which are my go to strings and just don't care for their 'wimpy' sound. Would welcome other suggestions.

I'm going to watch this thread closely as well. I often suffer from SCO (string changing obsession) until I find the right combo for a particular uke. I have yet to embark on the mission with my National Resonator. My, er, ah, gut (string joke! I'm here all week folks, don't forget to tip your servers ;-) tells me a thicker/harder string will be better. I'm not typically a fan of Nylguts either, but they be more appropriate for a resonator. Wonder if a heavy Southcoast string might be another option?

On both my concert resos I have D'Addario clear nylon strings. Great tension and nice warm tone.

A friend of mine here in the Albany (NY) Area uses Worth Brown on his resonators. I liked the sound/feel of them, so I'm planning on trying them too - after I have the biscuit replaced on my National (it is too low for me). To see what the worth brown are like, I had Mim install them on my Moku soprano, and I quite like them.

I'm also thinking about contacting Dirk at Southcoast Strings, and getting his recommendation for strings for the National.

After that biscuit is changed, of course...

-Kurt​

Resouker recommends D'Addario EJ65T and Labella Pro/Fremont Soloist Squeekless low G for all resoukes. I have a set, just haven't installed them yet.

I too am watching this thread. A concert scale reso-uke is on my list... and I probably should sell one or two of my other ukes to make room.

When it comes to reso's, I assumed that a brighter string would naturally bring out the best qualities of the instrument. Something like Oasis Brights. Then I thought some more and considered that Aquila Reds seem to pull a little extra something out of every instrument I've tried them on. I'll call it "body" - I have not found a better term for the richer and fuller sound with all of the volume of other strings I've tried. They are probably not perfect for every uke, but I like them where I've used them so far.

If it were me, I'd work my way through a few sets of strings until I found the sound I'm looking for.

Good luck, and please let us know what strings you like and don't like.

I put on Kala Pearls, they really punched the sound out.

I finally bought a reso-uke. I replaced the stock Aquila nylaguts with Aquila Reds. I think the Reds sound better and have just a bit less tension. I have a set of Worth Browns to try next.

Aquilla Reds with wound low G are the best so far on my concert Ashbury. Made this "Cheap" uke come alive. Now looking for a quality replacement cone and biscuit. Think it's 6 1/2 inches. Any sugestions guys/girls.

I finally bought a reso-uke. I replaced the stock Aquila nylaguts with Aquila Reds. I think the Reds sound better and have just a bit less tension.

Well, it finally happened. I broke an Aquila Red. The low G snapped at the tuning peg as I tuned for the first workshop of the day.

Last night I threw on a set of Oasis Bright low G. Not a new set, a used set I had briefly on the Kala cedar top concert. Because of the difficult threading when tie stringing, I went with a knot. They settled in overnight and the brighter strings sound pretty nice on this reso-uke.

Resonator Concert Ukuleles take Standard Concert Ukulele Strings like these Magma UK110FW Flat Microwound Concert Ukulele Strings. The other interesting thing I do rather cleverly here is I tie Guitar String Ball ends onto the ends of the strings so that the strings have more break angle over the saddle to help them drive the cone a bit better.1692829149754.jpeg1692829071831.png

Well, it finally happened. I broke an Aquila Red. The low G snapped at the tuning peg as I tuned for the first workshop of the day.

Last night I threw on a set of Oasis Bright low G. Not a new set, a used set I had briefly on the Kala cedar top concert. Because of the difficult threading when tie stringing, I went with a knot. They settled in overnight and the brighter strings sound pretty nice on this reso-uke.
I think the sharp edges in the bridge & nut need to be cleared 1st. You need to make sure the bridge & nut are lubricated w/ pencil graphite to help them slide more smoothly.

A friend of mine here in the Albany (NY) Area uses Worth Brown on his resonators. I liked the sound/feel of them, so I'm planning on trying them too - after I have the biscuit replaced on my National (it is too low for me). To see what the worth brown are like, I had Mim install them on my Moku soprano, and I quite like them.

I'm also thinking about contacting Dirk at Southcoast Strings, and getting his recommendation for strings for the National.

After that biscuit is changed, of course...

-Kurt​
I may give those a try. I just bought this John Morton tenor reso which is beautiful but the first string set I tried was Fremont black line fluorocarbons and the A string is way to bright and has an unpleasant “wolf” overtone to it. I am looking for something warmer and less harsh for it. I will interested to hear what Dirk says…

I'm currently using: ghs Custom Shop TU Low G Set; the g and C strings are wound.
I've also used: ghs H-T10's wound C---thinking maybe going back to these--really just going back to a High G
Just for a little while I used some D'Addario's I think fluorocarbon low g
Just for just a little while a single low G Aquila Red

Still playing around with strings. I'll find something I really like eventually.

Not sure about wooden resonators but for a metal uke I like Guadalupe custom strings.
https://thegcs.co/ukulele/ukelele-concertsoprano-sets

They have a nylon core and are wound with nylon or copper and really sing. But they're wound so they feel like it and have the squeaky noise a wound string can make.

This thread is from 2016. Unfortunately, Dirk at Southcoast has passed away and Southcoast Strings is no more. He is sorely missed.

Aquila has improved their Red strings so that they are not as fragile as they once were. As long as you bring them up to tension is a slow and careful manner, they last quite well.

I suspect that Titanium strings might be very good on a concert reso.

Top Bottom