What strings for my Ken Hill Koa Concert Uke?

Halesowen Kid

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Today i purchased a Ken Hill (California) UkeBrand Rope Bound Concert Uke dated 2002 & made of solid Koa.

The strings are the originals & I'm certain after all these years replacements are a must....

I would be most grateful for your recommendations to what make & type...

Thanking you in advance.

$_86.JPG

Regards,

Mike

Martins would be the easiest to find, they worked great on my Martin C1K. If you don't like those, try Living Water. Or Worth...clears will give a brighter sound, browns a more mellow sound. It almost looks like you have browns on there, unless they're black, they might be Fremont blacklines, also a good choice for a mellower sound.

I had started a thread on strings here:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?121477-Strings-for-dummies-(or-uninformed)

I don't know if anything in that thread might be helpful or not, but maybe it's worth a look.

From my reading about and experimenting with strings, I would suggest that it might be helpful to give us a little more information, like:
Reentrant or linear?
Are you looking for a warm sound, or bright sound?
Do you play fingerstyle, or primarily strum?

That said, so far my favorite strings are Living Water strings. I like both the feel and sound of them. But I still have more strings to try. I have a highly praised brand on right now, but haven't taken to them, and am really wanting to put Living Water strings back on. I'll either try a new-to-me brand today, or go back to LW. It does take some experimenting, but IMO, LW strings are a good place to start for either linear or reentrant. (Though for low G, you might want to substitute a wound string.)

Martins would be the easiest to find, they worked great on my Martin C1K. If you don't like those, try Living Water. Or Worth...clears will give a brighter sound, browns a more mellow sound. It almost looks like you have browns on there, unless they're black, they might be Fremont blacklines, also a good choice for a mellower sound.

Hi UD,

The strings fitted are black in colour & rather thick in diameter. I'll have a look for Worth Clear but I see they have a selection to choose from. Can you narrow the selection down for me please?

Mike

I had started a thread on strings here:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?121477-Strings-for-dummies-(or-uninformed)

I don't know if anything in that thread might be helpful or not, but maybe it's worth a look.

From my reading about and experimenting with strings, I would suggest that it might be helpful to give us a little more information, like:
Reentrant or linear?
Are you looking for a warm sound, or bright sound?
Do you play fingerstyle, or primarily strum?

That said, so far my favorite strings are Living Water strings. I like both the feel and sound of them. But I still have more strings to try. I have a highly praised brand on right now, but haven't taken to them, and am really wanting to put Living Water strings back on. I'll either try a new-to-me brand today, or go back to LW. It does take some experimenting, but IMO, LW strings are a good place to start for either linear or reentrant. (Though for low G, you might want to substitute a wound string.)

Hi JU,

I'll have a look thank you & I'd wish to acquire bright sound with sustain & I'm a strummer for fun...

Regards,

Mike

I'll have a look thank you & I'd wish to acquire bright sound with sustain & I'm a strummer for fun...

If you are looking for a bright sound I have always thought that Martins are very punchy. I generally use them on my mahogany ukuleles to bring out the "bark" associated with mahogany. Since you are looking for strings for a koa ukulele (and located in the UK), I 2nd Living Waters. I really like how they sound on my koa ukuleles. If you wanted to use linear tuning (low G), I would recommend a Fremont Soloist. I have this exact combination (Living Waters/Fremont Soloist) on my Howlett koa ditson and it is wonderful.

But, the one thing you will find mentioned many times... String tastes are VERY individual. Everyone will have their own opinions and favorites. Just because I, or several people, like and recommend a certain string, you may very well hate it.

You're in the UK so you should definitely give Living Water a try. If those strings are really 14 years old, pretty much anything will sound good. ;)

I 2nd/3rd/whatever Living Waters. If you're looking for something with a bit more punch, Oasis Brights are generally well thought of.
Mr. Hanks is correct..................most anything might be an improvement over 14 year old, who knows what they are strings

If you are looking for a bright sound I have always thought that Martins are very punchy. I generally use them on my mahogany ukuleles to bring out the "bark" associated with mahogany. Since you are looking for strings for a koa ukulele (and located in the UK), I 2nd Living Waters. I really like how they sound on my koa ukuleles. If you wanted to use linear tuning (low G), I would recommend a Fremont Soloist. I have this exact combination (Living Waters/Fremont Soloist) on my Howlett koa ditson and it is wonderful.

But, the one thing you will find mentioned many times... String tastes are VERY individual. Everyone will have their own opinions and favorites. Just because I, or several people, like and recommend a certain string, you may very well hate it.

Thank you WCB....

As a strummer, you'll probably want re-entrant (high G), & I have come to like flourocarbon strings over the various nylons, so I recommend you at least try Living Water Strings. :)

Hi UD,

The strings fitted are black in colour & rather thick in diameter. I'll have a look for Worth Clear but I see they have a selection to choose from. Can you narrow the selection down for me please?

Mike

Fremont blacklines are not all that thick, actually kind of thin. As far as Worths, start with mediums...

As a strummer, you'll probably want re-entrant (high G)

This is where personal preference and trial come in to play. I am the opposite. I love linear (low G) for strumming and singing as the lower note grounds my singing and re-entrant for fingerpicking (having the two outside strings so close in pitch works for me). You have received a lot of good advice on this topic and will find soon enough what you like. IMHO, finding strings that make a particular uke sing is all part of the fun!

Top Bottom