Trying to avoid the generic black hard shell case...

Recstar24

Reaction score
Looking for a case for my new Koaloha, and I'm interested in cases that aren't your typical black hard shell you see everywhere. I'm happy to budget $100 for her and my biggest concern is humidity control and retention for winter as I find gig bags to be useless in that regard. Thanks!

EDIT: just realized I added an extra zero, should be $100 for budget.

Last edited:
I like the Crossrock 1000 a lot. It's not as protective as a wooden case but it is super light and should cover 99% of most people's needs. I have an Ameritage case that came with my Hive that is absolutely gorgeous. It also weighs 9 lbs (seriously) so I NEVER use it. But they are beautifully constructed and very, very protective.

You can spend a lot less than $1000 to get something other than black!!! Oahu cases are used by Mya-Moe and Chuck Moore, so they must be pretty good, spend some extra money to have it wrapped or painted, they can paint vinyl these days, no problem.

I don't know that price has anything to do with how well a case retains humidity. The pricier cases give more protection from physical damage- think airline baggage handling. Best from a humidity control standpoint would be your standard non-black Tupperware. And you'd have money left in your budget for another nice uke :)

Seriously, when I lived in an area that got real winters I kept my ukes in their cases, in a semi sealed cabinet with humidifiers (sponges) in the cabinet. Others have done the same and posted in numerous threads.

I have this for my KoAloha Concert:
http://www.southernukulelestore.co....S-Concert-Ukulele-Case-very-tough,-best-value!
Fits perfectly. Pehaps TGI Cases are marketed as Crossrock cases in the US? They look mighty similar at the least, see here:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...edwood-Cocobolo-Concert-Uke-from-John-Kinnard
My case looks exactly the same, save the badge, see here:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...5-NUD-KoAloha-KCM-00&highlight=Koaloha+KCM-00

Regardless, a crossrock or TGI is something I can wholeheartidly recommend.

There are a couple of Cross Rock 800 series on sale at Amazon starting at $69 and up depending on the color. Good case, great price.

I am sure you think I'm crazy, but I added an extra zero to the dollar figure lol :) $100 is the budget, I can imagine how many face palms existed when you all read that.

Ohana sells a lime green crocodile pattern hard case. That should be far enough away from a generic black one. Personally, I like the brown crocodile cases.

Thanks all for the cross rock recommendations. My concerns are fit and quality. The upper bout is listed as 6.5" wide my tenor measures 7" across upper bout. Also, the reviews here and on Amazon bring up issues with gaps between sections, latches, and the insides not being constructed very well. Any users feel free to add your thoughts.

Hey Ryan I really like my Uke Crazy hardcase in faux Alligator. I get a lot of compliments about its appearance and people have asked if it I custom made.

20160726_213135.jpg20160726_213016.jpg

Dave your lfdm fits perfectly!

Leaning towards the cross rock despite my misgivings. I just think it's pretty cool :)

UPDATE: still having concerns over fit, I called a local music store that carries kamaka, Kanilea, and kooalau, to see if they had any cases for those instruments that were for sale. I came by to check out, They had two kooalau cases one had a lot of wiggle room inside, one was perfect but had a broken latch and a loose one.

I declined both and he tried to sell me a RB RBX which I passed. Finally, he went in back and found me an Oahu case which was better quality than the two kooalau cases and fit even more perfectly having just the right amount of snugness and was arch topped! I bought it :)

So basically I ended up with your traditional black case but high quality and my koaloha fits about as perfect as you can ask for. Lol.

Top Bottom