Ziricote Update

sequoia

Reaction score
The challenging Ziricote uke is coming along. This wood is just fine. The problems come more from the builder than the wood. The only bad thing I can say is it will splinter if abused. Picture rough sanded with top binding. I really wanted to bind with ebony, but I just couldn't bend the stuff. Thus some left over koa binding (which bends very politely). Oh well.

DSCN7126.jpg

Looking very nice as usual :). I enjoy reading your building updates, thanks for keeping us posted. What kind of top did you use?

Last edited:
Torrefied (Terrified) Sitka spruce thicknessed to about 70-75.

About 1.7 ~ 1.8 mm for you metric guys.
Ah, poor americans for still using the old imperial unit system ;) but alas, you all seem to be doing fine anyway turning out beautiful ukes...
I bet your torrefied spruce is going to be torrific (see what I did there :D?)!

Ah, poor americans for still using the old imperial unit system ;) but alas, you all seem to be doing fine anyway turning out beautiful ukes...
I bet your torrefied spruce is going to be torrific (see what I did there :D?)!

Yes, we as Americans can be a stubborn ignorant species, but I like the decimal Imperial unit system for fine work. Fractional Imperial is mostly useless. Metric millimeters can be a little crude when you get really small. I actually use all three systems depending on what I want to measure. One must keep in mind that any measuring system is inherently arbitrary. The only thing that matters is how far is it between these two points and maybe where the middle point is. Call it what you will. It doesn't really matter.

Wow, that wood is beautiful!

The colors and figuring of that wood reminds me of...Ovaltine.....mocha.....CHOCOLATE.....

and as such - I think it LOOKS great!

Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom