Lacquered hide glue pieces

I would split them at the glue joint. It's hard not to alter the lacquer tho.... What is the humidity level?
Why are you doing this would be helpful. Are you going to put them back together?

At the glue joint, yes of course. It´s a neck that is badly glued. It is easy(?) to part if the lacquer is allowed to be destroyed. Humidity now is about close to 80%.

It's a little unclear to me what pieces you're separating. Bottom line, there has to be some severing of the lacquer. I make a very thin cut with an extremely sharp blade. I feel that an extremely thin point works best and chances are the edge will be gone after this single operation. Perhaps an Xacto #11 blade thinned ( without ruining temper ) at the just the point. In my shop this is the domain of various tool steel marking knives that I expect to have to resharpen after a single job.

It's a little unclear to me what pieces you're separating. Bottom line, there has to be some severing of the lacquer. I make a very thin cut with an extremely sharp blade. I feel that an extremely thin point works best and chances are the edge will be gone after this single operation. Perhaps an Xacto #11 blade thinned ( without ruining temper ) at the just the point. In my shop this is the domain of various tool steel marking knives that I expect to have to resharpen after a single job.

THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION - YET. Would heating the knife make a smoother cut through the lacquer?

It´s the neck of a little banjo ukulele, nearly 90 years of age and I´d rather keep the original lacquer as much as possible. Yes! I would have liked the stewmac steamer tool.

THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION - YET. Would heating the knife make a smoother cut through the lacquer?

It´s not a job with a knife as the lacquer is already broken at the splice. No ideas, please?

Last edited:
Top Bottom