Does anyone here actually sing (besides Ken)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluke

Reaction score
I love playing the ukulele, as I do guitar. What I see in this forum and on so many linked UT vids are performances and tabs of instrumental versions of tunes that have great lyrics. I do like working out interesting solo uke versions of tunes with great melodies, but I also like the uke as an instrument to accompany a vocal part. When I search for song chords, I often find TAB of the melody without any chords shown! Even if you're playing the melody, it is based around the song's chords, and you must know them as well. I just saw a UT of a UU member playing Dean Martin's Sway as an instrumental. While the young man was a good player and got most of the melody's notes correct, the version lacked any emotion or feeling. That is all in the lyrics (and the accompaniment). If you are looking for a song's chords to sing along with, these types of presentations don't show you that. Doesn't anyone sing anymore?

You must not visit YouTube much. Most uke videos have singing. I can only think of a handful of instrumental only uke playerz. Even WS64 sings in a couple of his videos.

I love playing the ukulele, as I do guitar. What I see in this forum and on so many linked UT vids are performances and tabs of instrumental versions of tunes that have great lyrics. I do like working out interesting solo uke versions of tunes with great melodies, but I also like the uke as an instrument to accompany a vocal part. When I search for song chords, I often find TAB of the melody without any chords shown! Even if you're playing the melody, it is based around the song's chords, and you must know them as well. I just saw a UT of a UU member playing Dean Martin's Sway as an instrumental. While the young man was a good player and got most of the melody's notes correct, the version lacked any emotion or feeling. That is all in the lyrics (and the accompaniment). If you are looking for a song's chords to sing along with, these types of presentations don't show you that. Doesn't anyone sing anymore?

Different Youtubers have different objectives with their videos. Many times, it's to do instrumental versions of songs. Perhaps it's best to judge them by what they are trying to accomplish rather than what you want them to do.

Not everyone can or wants to sing. I guess I fail to see why that should bother you. Maybe don't watch the ones you don't like? There sure are plenty of videos to watch.

There are way more videos on Youtube of people singing accompanied by the uke than people doing instrumentals. I personally have only posted instrumental videos because I really enjoy ukulele instrumentals and I can't sing. But there really are a lot more ukulele videos with singing than instrumentals out there.

You're right, Deach, I don't visit Utube that much. Just for what I need. I don't have all day to search through endless tons of useless garbage to find something of quality that I want to view. I have a life, and a job, and a wife, and music to still be played....

Ukisociety, I know that there are many different reasons and methods of playing music. I play instrumentals, too. I am not judging anybody, or saying anybody is wrong or good or bad. I am, however, often searching for versions to learn from, and I am specific about what works for me.

I guess I was just having a difficult day finding chord charts I needed. Thanks to all who do post them!

Different Youtubers have different objectives with their videos. Many times, it's to do instrumental versions of songs. Perhaps it's best to judge them by what they are trying to accomplish rather than what you want them to do.

i agree with pops

You're right, Deach, I don't visit Utube that much. Just for what I need. I don't have all day to search through endless tons of useless garbage to find something of quality that I want to view. I have a life, and a job, and a wife, and music to still be played....

I guess doing a little searching for something you want is more difficult and time consuming than waiting for the chord fairy to drop something in your lap.

Bluke.. You have to understand why we are a little defensive... re-read your post..

If you are trying to figure out a song, why not post in the song help section rather than bashing us here as a whole

:stop:

We are a peaceful family here at UU.. no need for all the hostility

ouch. i dont exactly resemble that remark (i hope) and im not exactly offended by it. but i feel like i have to reply.

ok there are some videos on the net that i, too, feel arent up to par. but music is music. and if it is obvious that someone is actually trying to make music, whether it suits your ears or not, it shouldnt be deemed "useless garbage". it takes a lot of guts to get up in front of that webcam... let alone post it on the world wide interwebs. its almost as nerve racking as getting up on a stage to perform.

its true there is a lot of content there that you may not be looking for or that doesnt suit your taste or needs. but you yourself can do your part to minimize sifting through it all by entering a more well placed search query.
ex.
if you were to just search for "ukulele" im sure you know what you are going to be bombarded with. but search for "ukulele cover blue suede shoes".

you might still end up with only junk in your opinion. but if you really feel that way, research the song, learn the music, make it your own, strap on your webcam, record yourself, post it up, and show us all how its supposed to be done! just dont get offended if someone else out there considers your hard work and effort to be useless garbage.

and btw, many of us here have spouses/significant others, lives, jobs, and multiple children. not only do we find the vids and info we want, but we post them too.

Man, it looks like I walked into the super-sensitive club today! I made no nasty comments to anyone, so why the shredding? So you all somehow feel responsible for all the crap on UTube? I wasn't blaming you! It's just a fact. Relax! Hostility? What train are you on?:shaka::D:confused:

Man, it looks like I walked into the super-sensitive club today!

I didn't know I was in a club! Cool!!!

Does that mean I'll have something else to do besides search through endless tons of useless garbage?

Man, it looks like I walked into the super-sensitive club today! I made no nasty comments to anyone, so why the shredding? So you all somehow feel responsible for all the crap on UTube? I wasn't blaming you! It's just a fact. Relax! Hostility? What train are you on?:shaka::D:confused:

You asked for emotion and feeling, you got it.

sensitive? not even the case. nasty comments? none made. responsible for the crap? no comment, because what i was getting at is the crap attitude that it takes to publicly call any effort at music crap or useless garbage.

ill admit, i was curious as to who you were. so after i made my post, i went through several of your previous posts on this site. and the majority of them consist of asking for handouts and moaning when you dont get them.

dont stop your music. please. im sure there are many that would love to see what you do with it. myself included. but do stop the attitude. we're all here to try to help each other. but nobody likes to spoonfeed either. its just a fact.

This attitude makes me very sad. I find inspiration from every single video I watch. None of it is "useless garbage" or a waste of my time. We all have busy lives and lots of ukulele playing to do. I applaud all of those with courage enough to post videos of themselves enjoying what they do, good or bad. If you are looking for something specific you have to do some research, there is no reason to disparage a video as garbage because you have a little work to do. We can't all be Jakes or Aldrines, or Kens, or FaceMeltingUkuleles or Sesso's or Deachs. The nice thing about the ukulele community is that we are not expected to be. There are a lot of great sites (including this one) in which to find great renditions of songs including lyrics.

I sing in pretty much every one of my videos. Probably everyone. If you really can't be bothered to look for good stuff on Youtube, of course you're not going to find any. It's not my job or anyone else's to find it for you - you can just follow links from the videos page here, or any of the contest pages, or you can search for covers of songs you like. Some will be better, some worse. When you find one you like, click subscribe, and you'll get more. If you can't be bothered to do that, don't come whining about how you don't see videos you like, because it's your own fault.

Here's my channel. If you like singing, and ukulele, you might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sammyboy72

.....We can't all be Jakes or Aldrines, or Kens, or FaceMeltingUkuleles or Sesso's or Deachs. ....

Wow! You have me in a lot of great company. I don't deserve it but thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom