It's Your Voodoo Working - A one chord song

Hmm well its a cute song but you can't hear the ukes at all and is it any wonder since they are not plugged in.

Hmm well its a cute song but you can't hear the ukes at all and is it any wonder since they are not plugged in.

Erm, well, this video doesn't show a live performance. Steffen has NO twin brother. ;)
Ukes were plugged in. It is a so called "multitrack" recording.
If you don't hear the bass uke, maybe headphones will help. Keep on ukin' AndieZ!

Cool song and you did it really well. I had to grab my uke and play along.

Erm, well, this video doesn't show a live performance. Steffen has NO twin brother. ;)
Ukes were plugged in. It is a so called "multitrack" recording.
If you don't hear the bass uke, maybe headphones will help. Keep on ukin' AndieZ!

AndieZ -

With these kinds of videos that use multitrack recording, very often, the song is done first with all the instruments as a 'studio' recording (as opposed to a 'live' recording), and then for the video part, the video is done in multiple, sometimes hundreds of 'takes' of discreet sequences while the performers MIME along their playing/singing to the recording, yes OVER and OVER again, possibly different camera angles, and then via the magic of 'video editing' and dozens of hours of time, the final 'MTV-style' video is created as what you see here.

These videos represent a tremendous investment in time, effort and SKILL to produce, which is completely independent from the time and effort to LEARN the song, and practice to perfection with other musicians, so you can then record it, all of which is in order to be ABLE to make such a video...lots of prep work involved.

These kinds of videos are not like propping up your iPhone on a table and warbling out after you hit the red button in the YouTube app, and then when finished just hit the button labeled 'Upload to YouTube', but instead represent serious and professional level work, on the part of the performers, as well as the folks who edit the video.

In this case the members of The Ukelites are BOTH performers and editors, and since you are new to UU, you have likely not yet seen their consistently professional-level music videos that they have shared here on UU, I encourage you to look at their forum post history, and I am sure that you will enjoy what you will see.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
These videos represent a tremendous investment in time, effort and SKILL to produce, which is completely independent from the time and effort to LEARN the song, and practice to perfection with other musicians, so you can then record it, all of which is in order to be ABLE to make such a video...lots of prep work involved.

This sounds like someone who has spent some time in an editing booth. =)

Back on topic:
Another great video, thanks for sharing.
I am so glad you guys put the sax to work. On a resent trip off the island, I was listening to some 80's tracks and thinking about how prolific the sax was in 80's music but now it is seldom used at all.
Never stop'a rockin',
Johnson

Last edited:
This sounds like someone who has spent some time in an editing booth. =)

OMG - yea, 'back in the day' - my 'side-hustle' was doing lots of video production work - starting out with analog 'cuts-only-editing' on Betacam and S-VHS for a few different wedding video companies, and then when the NewTek Video Toaster came long, adding effects and transitions to source material shot on Sony's U-matic format for them as well as a local cable company, and then early growing pains with Apple's Quicktime, Compressor and SoundTrack Pro, and other similar software that was not around until about 2002 or so...

(now in 2016, all that equipment, in the tens-of-thousands of dollars worth, if working, is in a museum somewhere, and if not working, is likely in a landfill)

...then Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere, iMovie and Final Cut Pro...all the way to now where I'll use OpenShot or Kdenlive on Linux (and trying to learn Lightwerks and Blender also on Linux) or simpler projects using Pinnacle Studio or iMove on the iPad, mostly just for the UU Seasons videos...

Video Production has a wide spectrum of tools nowadays to suit every need, budget and visual-presentation-level...

Folks dont realize how good the tools are now compared to the 'bad old analog days', never-mind how much LESS EXPENSIVE it is...and most folks are easily satisfied with the video from a smartphone or tablet, while if disregarding color purity and white balance, most of the time I think can look good.

...Another great video, thanks for sharing. ...

Yes, of course, I thought it was AWESOME too. :)

Thank you very much guys for your kind words. It's always encouraging and highly appreciated :cheers:

Last edited:
Top Bottom