Pineapples vs non-fruits

iamdanielle

Reaction score
So I see that a lot of you swear by your pineapple ukuleles and I was curious as to why. Do they sound different to you? Feel different? Or do you just like the look?

I have never even held a pineapple uke... Am I missing out?

I don't have a concert to compare mine to but...

They definitely feel different. Depending on how you hold the uke, it doesn't have curve many people use to hold it in their lap.

I think they sound slightly deeper than the usual shape.

I like it because it's different than what most people have.

I grew up with a Kamaka pineapple (my Dad's) in the house so to me the pineapple was "The ukulele" with allot of personal nostalgia involved. Also to me the pineapple is uniquely Hawaiian invented and patented by a Hawaiian (Sam Kamaka) whereas standard "womanly" shaped ukulele are adopted Portuguese instruments (not that there's anything wrong with that). ;) For each given size the pineapple has more volume of body and surface area of soundboard (top) so the sound is "different", not better just different a little deeper, some describe as richer. I own and love both styles. As far as holding I don't notice a difference except when I get into a small Tangi Gecko which due to size requires a slight different hold.

I dont mean to offend anyone here buy saying I have never liked pinneapple shaped ukes. they tend to sound nasally to me. I dont know why i just dont like the sound.

I have always liked the look and concept of a pineapple ukulele but once I became a player I started to think of them as more of a novelty.

Of course, I have not been able to bring myself to buy or play anything other than a tenor uke myself...so take that with a grain of salt.

Then when I saw the Pineapple Sunday...I fell in love.
That Pono pineapple that Deach has looks mighty purdy.

So dude...wait...what? :p:shaka:

I dont mean to offend anyone here buy saying I have never liked pinneapple shaped ukes. they tend to sound nasally to me. I dont know why i just dont like the sound.

Nasally? Oh you poor boy, you probably heard a cheap plywood Chinese Johnson pineapple that left you with that negative impression. Broaden your horizons, pick up a nice KoAloha, Kamaka, or any other quality solid wood pineapple and you will hear the full potential of this wonderful instrument. Did you listen to deach's Pono & Mele pineapple review? Nothing close to nasally, in fact you are the first to describe any pineapple as nasally. Hawaiians appreciate pineapples more than anyone else, allot of haoles viewing the pineapple as a novelty and not appreciating their beautiful tone. Actually a standard 8 shaped ukulele has much more potential to sound nasally due to smaller body and soundboard. When you gain experience I'm sure your opinion will change. ;)

Even though I am not a huge fan of the look, I do like the richer tone. The same goes for Ohana's bell-shaped uke.

I received a Pono solid mango pineapple concert today in the shop and was pleasantly surprised as it was much nicer than the regular shaped mango ukes I had played. Definitely louder and richer.

Even though I am not a huge fan of the look, I do like the richer tone. The same goes for Ohana's bell-shaped uke.

I received a Pono solid mango pineapple concert today in the shop and was pleasantly surprised as it was much nicer than the regular shaped mango ukes I had played. Definitely louder and richer.

Plz send it to me so I can hear it in person. Thanks!:)

I've got a flea, and thats kind of in the pineapple shape area haha.

But I've been keeping an eye on those Pono Mango Pineapples for a while now.. They look gorgeous :)

Top Bottom