WTB: Mango Baritone w/ Radius Fretboard (e.g., Mya-Moe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
Hey, folks! Looking to score a mango baritone with a radius fretboard. I know Mya-Moe Ukuleles makes these, but I'm not familiar with any others that do. If you have a Mya-Moe mango baritone (or have a mango baritone with a radius fretboard) that you're interested in re-homing, please PM me.

EDIT: I also am aware of Pono making a mango baritone both in a standard and a deluxe model (but no radius fretboards), and I don't believe the Pro-Classic baritone series (with the radius fretboards) offers a mango baritone, as far as I'm aware. I've seen the PC Series offered in Acacia, mahogany, and I think a cedar wood models, but not mango (again, I think that this is the case, but I'll have to verify this to make sure).

I also used to have a Pono mango baritone, the standard model, which I adored and LOVED, but I sadly had to re-home because my wrist tendonitis acted up; as such, I purchased a Pono Pro-Classic Series mahogany baritone (as it has a radius fretboard) and I can play til the cows come home without aggravating my wrist tendonitis -- it works AWESOME for me! I love this ukulele, too, but I'd love to try to also get back into a mango baritone with a radius fretboard. Thanks, everyone! :)

Thanks, friends!
~ Chelle

Last edited:
Pono also offers mango baritones. The Pro Classic will have a radius fretboard. Here is a "Deluxe" which does not have a radius:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/baritone/pono-mgbd-mango-baritone-deluxe.html

Hey, folks! Looking to score a mango baritone with a radius fretboard. I know Mya-Moe Ukuleles makes these, but I'm not familiar with any others that do. If you have a Mya-Moe mango baritone (or have a mango baritone with a radius fretboard) that you're interested in re-homing, please PM me.

Thanks, friends!
~ Chelle

Pono makes a great radius fretboard indeed. I had thought of them as gimmicky, right until I got my Pono baritone (spruce/rosewood, though). It's very comfortable and definitely improves playability for me on that scale (and with the beefy neck). Good call to look for that.

Pono's Pro Classic line has the radius fretboard.

I recently asked Andrew at www.theukulelesite.com to get a Pono Pro Classic Mango Baritone and I think it is about 2-3 months away from finishing.

Contact him and ask about one for yourself.

Hey, Ukulele Eddie, Mivo, and Sam13! Thanks so much for the help and advice, everybody! I actually used to have a Pono mango baritone, not the Deluxe model, which I LOVED, however, it (nor the Deluxe model) had no radius fretboard, as you mentioned, so I ended up, very reluctantly, having to re-home it and I purchased a beautiful Pono Pro-Classic Series mahogany baritone from HMS. I love this ukulele, but I have to say that I also really miss the sound of the mango wood. I did inquire at HMS about getting a Pro-Classic series mango baritone made special, but I'll have to follow-up to see what ever came of it. I haven't checked back in to see if things were a possibility on that front, but I'll have to explore that avenue as from, Sam13, what you mention, it might be possible. That'd be awesome! I love Ponos and I'd love to get another one! Thanks for the hints and help, everyone! Happy strummings!! :)

Pono also offers mango baritones. The Pro Classic will have a radius fretboard. Here is a "Deluxe" which does not have a radius:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/baritone/pono-mgbd-mango-baritone-deluxe.html

Pono makes a great radius fretboard indeed. I had thought of them as gimmicky, right until I got my Pono baritone (spruce/rosewood, though). It's very comfortable and definitely improves playability for me on that scale (and with the beefy neck). Good call to look for that.

Pono's Pro Classic line has the radius fretboard.

I recently asked Andrew at www.theukulelesite.com to get a Pono Pro Classic Mango Baritone and I think it is about 2-3 months away from finishing.

Contact him and ask about one for yourself.

Last edited:
I purchased a beautiful Pono Pro-Classic Series mahogany baritone from HMS. I love this ukulele, but I have to say that I also really miss the sound of the mango wood.
Maybe stupid question, but have you tried different string sets on the mahogany to see if you can get a sound closer to what you remember with the mango?

Hey, Jim! Thanks for your reply -- that's a great suggestion! Yes, I have been trying different strings to experiment with sound, too! :)

Maybe stupid question, but have you tried different string sets on the mahogany to see if you can get a sound closer to what you remember with the mango?

Great suggestion, but I have to say those Mango Baritones are something very special. I just finished playing one a moment ago.

Man. those pro-classic Mahogany Baritones sure are sweet!

Last edited:
I agree with you regarding the radius on the Baritone neck ... my friend has a Kamaka Baritone and it has a thicker neck and no radius. BEAUTIFUL TONE ... but it is substantially more difficult to play than the Pono Baritone PC with radius.

I am looking forward to the Mango Pro-Classic Baritone ... I can almost taste it.

You are all making me uncomfortably curious. :)

You are all making me uncomfortably curious. :)

We both have a RBSH Spruce Top and Rosewood back.

Imagine what a Baritone Mango Pro Classic would be like with re entrant tuning and a wound 3rd string.

Oh. Yeah. That's right. You know it.

Would you really go re-entrant with it, though? I so love the low-D on the Pono. So very rich! (Hrm, but if I tell myself I'd use re-entrant on it, that'd be a reason to consider getting one, no?)

Hey, sam13 ~ Just want to clarify: I'm curious, did you ask Andrew if a mango Pro-Classic Series could be made special order for you, or did he mention that they're (meaning the Pono company) is going to start making/producing the Pro-Classic Series baritone in mango? Also, do you know the details re: gloss vs satin finish, slotted headstock (or not)? Thanks so much! :)

I agree with you regarding the radius on the Baritone neck ... my friend has a Kamaka Baritone and it has a thicker neck and no radius. BEAUTIFUL TONE ... but it is substantially more difficult to play than the Pono Baritone PC with radius.

I am looking forward to the Mango Pro-Classic Baritone ... I can almost taste it.

I agree, I also so love the low D on my Pono Pro-Classic Series mahogany bari, but...admittedly, I've been wondering about re-entrant, lately, for the sake of wanting to know what it would sound like. :)

Would you really go re-entrant with it, though? I so love the low-D on the Pono. So very rich! (Hrm, but if I tell myself I'd use re-entrant on it, that'd be a reason to consider getting one, no?)

Hi, iDavid ~ Yep! I agree! I do love my Pono Pro-Classic Series mahogany baritone -- it's super-sweet! That's cool that you have a mango baritone! Awesome!

Great suggestion, but I have to say those Mango Baritones are something very special. I just finished playing one a moment ago.

Man. those pro-classic Mahogany Baritones sure are sweet!

Exactly.

I love the low D as well, but my RBSHC Spruce top is lush and I don't need another low G.

Yes, having a re entrant Uke for Baritone would be great for strumming ...

Hey, sam13 ~ Just want to clarify: I'm curious, did you ask Andrew if a mango Pro-Classic Series could be made special order for you, or did he mention that they're (meaning the Pono company) is going to start making/producing the Pro-Classic Series baritone in mango? Also, do you know the details re: gloss vs satin finish, slotted headstock (or not)? Thanks so much! :)

I was emailing Andrew and suggested a Mango Baritone with a radius fretboard would be fabulous ... a Pro Classic. Nothing overly fancy.

The warmth of the Baritone and the harmonic colouring of Mango would be so great. He agreed as it would be an excellent combo, and placed and order for a few with his Dad at Pono.

So I will be getting one, but I think he might have requested two or three. You should contact him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom