Best song to try out a new ukulele at a store

AmyDee

Reaction score
We are planning a vacation to Hawaii this Fall, and I want to get a new Uke as a souvenir of our trip. My playing level is beginner/advanced beginner so I don't have a repertoire of songs memorized yet. I would like to pick a song that would help me:

1. Evaluate the sound of a new uke
2. Make me appear to be a decent player to the sales staff

I figure if I pick a song and practice it alot, I'll be able to have one, maybe two songs that I can play so that I don't sound like a total dweeb at the store.

I don't have a good singing voice, so I would like it to be an instrumental only. It could include some simple finger picking in sections to play the melody.

What would you recommend I learn?

Why do you feel it necessary to impress the sales staff? As far as I'm concerned you don't need to learn anything for the said purpose. Get them to demonstrate how beautiful it sounds. Make them work for their sale.

I would play something that I know really well and have played several times - many, many times - so I can hear all of it as I'm trying out new instruments. Doesn't have to be fancy - just something that will help you feel the action, neck, and hear the intonation and overall tone, sustain and projection. You are the one who needs to be impressed - by the instrument!

Hotel California. Am-E7-G-D-F-C-Dm-E7. That is one of those songs that is unmistakable when you go through the chords. If you can do it in triplets it even sounds better. Like Uke1950 says, tune it up first. I usually use a tuner app on my phone when I'm out and about like that.

Where in Hawaii are you going to specifically? If you're in their range, just go to Hawaii Music Supply. Like a kid in a candy store is how I imagine it.
I wouldn't worry about trying to impress them either. Trust me, they've heard much worse!

I agree with Uke Jenny. Even if it is a simple song, if you know it well on your existing uke you will be better able to judge it on your try out uke.

Don't forget about hard to do chords. I had a hard time with 4311 and barring the top two strings on my cheapie ukes. I have little problem when doing it on a well set up uke.

Agree with everyone on the lack of a need to impress the folks at the store. I would go with two songs - one being a song that you play frequently and well, so you can compare how it sounds and plays on a new uke. Another which is a stretch for your current abilities, which may be easier on the new uke.

Somebody has to say it - anything but Stairway
d57160fb17d00fe95ca724c69bd84151.jpg

:biglaugh:

I found an instrumental version of Sakura Sakura to be really good when I went shopping in Hawaii this year. Not too complicated and you get to let the notes ring a bit to hear the tone of the uke. It also really impressed the staff at the shops.

http://ukulelehunt.com/2011/03/13/sakura-sakura-tab/

But also make sure you do what Uke1950 said. It's really important.

I would go with a few things: 1) A relatively simple finger picking song/pattern. This will allow you to hear how the individual notes sound. 2) A song/chord progression you like and use on your current ukulele(s). This will allow you to hear the chords and compare it to your current ukuleles. 3) Some barre chords. I have found some ukes much easier to barre than others. If all three of those are to your satisfaction it is a good uke for you.

Good luck and enjoy your hunt!!

When I walk into a music shop, it is always the salesperson who impresses me. Picks up any instrument and play it better than I ever will.
I would probably pick Here Comes The Sun, as it is one of the first songs with fingerpicking I learned.
But choose a song you are familiar with.
Bringing a tuner is probably more critical. At least in Denmark the displayed ukes are seldom in tune.

This is a really interesting thread. Thank you for posting it.

In regard to songs to play...that is fun to read. If there was a definitive "single" song, every music store in the world would get tired of hearing it. Like most others, I would suggest playing through most of the chords you know (which means that you also play in the music that you normally sing), and to finger pick a little. The suggestions of trying a barre chord...I might also try "chunking" or "palm muting" an instrument to simply get an idea of how the instruments sounds.

Regarding demo videos, Barry Maz (gotaukulele) plays the same progressions and patterns on every ukulele (on those he likes more, sometimes he goes further). So far, regarding TheUkuleleSite/HMS, the only negative about their videos is that they don't do that for those instruments--they have members of their staff who are pro-level players demonstrate what the ukes can do (I would like that PLUS a clip showing a standard progression, which is how most players will play, that is played on every ukulele for comparison purposes). And that is the only negative thing that I will ever say about that company (and that isn't much of a negative).

As for wanting to impress the store employees--I "get" it. As to what others have said, you have to "get over" that feeling yourself. First, if you're someplace like TheUkuleleSite, most of those folks are pro-level players that gig at night or have made recordings. Even the guys that say they don't play, play. And it makes sense--they are in a store that generally deals with a single instrument.

If you're in a standard music store, there is a better chance that the staff doesn't play the ukulele and sees it as a freak (Tiny Tim) or folk instrument, and regardless of what you do, you can't impress. Music stores love ukulele because they sell a ton of them and it helps the bottom line.

All that said, looking down on someone due to their playing ability is an incredibly immature, self-focused, and uninformed thing to do. The better the player, the more they should be interested in helping propagate the instrument and helping others to get better. Like in all parts of life, there are jerks everywhere, particularly in music where it can be a fight to "make it" and to "survive." College music major are often pitted in a drama where they are fighting with each other for opportunities. Incidentally, all of this is in opposition to the general practice and performance of ukulele.

And a good music store should be concerned about helping you find an instrument that fits you...something you like to look at, something that you like to hold, something that sounds good to you, and something that is going to keep you coming back to playing. They should want to sell you a ukulele--but to sell you the right ukulele for you. And that means letting you play it before you buy it, and dealing with whatever you choose to play. And if you can't play yet, demonstrating some basic chords and giving you resources before you leave.

Incidentally, Kala's new free ukulele lessons are going live. I'm looking forward to going through them--not because I am likely to learn anything new for my own playing, but so I can see how they approach things to be able to help teach others.

Sorry--I'm a teacher. I'm really passionate about accepting everyone wherever they are at and helping them improve.

Thank you to everyone who responded, you've given me exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for! I know I won't IMPRESS the staff at any music store. I'll never be able to play that well. I just want to demonstrate that I am ready for an instrument that is beyond a beginner model, and that I have some ideas of what I'm looking for in a new instrument.

So my take aways from this thread so far are:

1. Go to HMS / The Ukulele Site. Thanks for the heads up on what to expect from the staff there.
2. Take a tuner along. Not just to tune the instrument, but to verify intonation of the instrument, especially as I move up the neck.
3. Memorize a "regular" chord progression, and then try a few that are more challenging for me to see if a particular instrument makes them any easier.
4. Be sure to do some work further up the neck. I just found "Scarborough Fair" in Ukulele Mike's Chord Melody book that does alot in the 10-12 fret range. It also has several barre chords, so that song will test those out, too.
5. Learn Sakura Sakura and the chords for Hotel California. I love both of those and they will be good test songs.
6. Take a deep breath and don't be intimidated! Thanks for the reminder that most sales people want to share their knowledge and spread the ukulele love.

Thanks for the heads up about Kala's free lessons, Choirguy!

Actually what works best for me is to find a spot in the shop where I can get away from having to perform for anyone. Learn songs well enough to play them, but you need to listen to hear any thud/boom or dead notes that may be annoying to you down the road. For example a C string can boom when open and thud on some fretted notes. Sometimes a different string will help, but that is something you may not want to deal with. And I highly recommend checkng the intonation at different points on the fretboard.

If the ukes you try are setup properly, then find the one with the best sound and feel.

John

In response to Jim's Stairway... I would think Guitar Gently Weeps will one day be the overplayed ukulele song.

There is no straps on the ukes and we have to play without chair in shops. I can not play finger picking or even simple chord progressions in such circumstance. I only play few chords. If I concentrate on playing I can not check playability or sounds.

I don't impress many people. I try to come off as a dweeb on purpose, then I have an excuse to play badly. If no one in the store can tune and play an ukulele, walk away.
Happy hunting, and enjoy Hawaii, you lucky stiff!

There is no straps on the ukes and we have to play without chair in shops. I can not play finger picking or even simple chord progressions in such circumstance. I only play few chords. If I concentrate on playing I can not check playability or sounds.

This is a great reason to get a Uke Leash from UU member Lori! Whenever I'm ukulele shopping I bring mine with me - it doesn't attach permanently to the uke and it allows me to get a better sense of playability. As for chairs - I'll shamelessly sit on the floor if I have to, but I've actually never been to a shop where there wasn't somewhere to sit. You might have to ask, but the worst that will happen is they'll say no.

This is a great reason to get a Uke Leash from UU member Lori! Whenever I'm ukulele shopping I bring mine with me - it doesn't attach permanently to the uke and it allows me to get a better sense of playability.

Oh good idea. It is very safe to play and gives me relax. This is one of the best way to impress the store employees too. I will try it. I am looking forward to visit uke shop with uke leash.

High G or low G?

I found an instrumental version of Sakura Sakura to be really good when I went shopping in Hawaii this year. Not too complicated and you get to let the notes ring a bit to hear the tone of the uke. It also really impressed the staff at the shops.

http://ukulelehunt.com/2011/03/13/sakura-sakura-tab/

But also make sure you do what Uke1950 said. It's really important.

Is that tab meant for high or low g? Note, I tried it on both and liked it better on a low-g uke but still maybe that's just me....

-- Gary

Top Bottom