hey

carlw134

Reaction score
just introducing myself to the forum. went shopping today and impulsively bought a 16 quid mahalo u30, not the greatest im guessing but meh, nevermind. ive got some music experience, play bass and abit of guitar. wondering where i should start with my ukulele and playing?

do you think new strings would be advisable and maybe to sand down the bridge so the strings would be a bit lower to the fretboard?

Welcome!!

if you are looking for lowering the action on the ukulele, use the search function to search for action adjustments. If you cant find it there, I would say go to guitar center and have them do it there, or find a luthier or custom worker and have them do it for you. you have to be very careful not to sand it unevenly or to much and it really is a tedious process. if you still want to do it yourself, go for it by all means but, just be careful.

welcome to the boards and enjoy the ride!!!

will this uke ever sound good, or is it that ive bought one thats maybe too cheap to ever get in tune. should i keep playing with it till it naturally finds the strings stay in tune, or by some aquilas now?

Funny, I've actually been LOOKING for a Mahalo U30 tenor (outside of Australia). I don't know I'd actually buy it once I found it, but I want to play one. Rounded back, geared tuners, affordable to say the least. From what I have read elsewhere, the U30 is a decent Mahalo! Supposedly the soprano and concert models in want of a set-up, adjusting the action at the saddle, changing the strings etc, so you're on the right track there (you meant sand down the SADDLE, right?).

But I think the prospects are pretty favorable that when all is said and done, you could have a good uke on your hands. As far as learning to play, this is the right place for that. Check out the lessons, and the uke-minutes, look for the tabs section in the forum and you'll be good-to-G-O.

Is that a laminate uke? I think it's always worth putting Aquilas on a laminate uke. They drive those ply tops a wee bit harder than some wimpier strings and get good volume and fair tone out of them.

With a good set-up and decent strings your uke will probably do fine for your first few months. Unlike most cheap fiddles and most cheap mandolins, many cheap ukes are sometimes only a tweak away from perfectly acceptable.

its a mahalo u30g, coloured purple, 16 great british pounds. ha. ill get some aquilas from ebay right now.

post edited hours later - aquila strings, soprano, std c tuning purchased. ebay , sweet.

anyone think its worth sanding down the saddle to lower the action, currently too high.

Last edited:
Definitely, but don't do it to the original. Get a couple of saddles from ebay and sand one of those. That way, when you f*** it up you can just put the original back on there! :music:

Top Bottom