PDA

View Full Version : hey

carlw134
04-15-2009, 12:06 PM
just introducing myself to the forum. went shopping today and impulsively bought a 16 quid mahalo u30, not the greatest im guessing but meh, nevermind. ive got some music experience, play bass and abit of guitar. wondering where i should start with my ukulele and playing?

buddhuu
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Welcome Carl. :shaka:

Where to start? How about here: ALDRINE'S LESSONS (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7224) (link)

carlw134
04-15-2009, 12:32 PM
do you think new strings would be advisable and maybe to sand down the bridge so the strings would be a bit lower to the fretboard?

nikolo727
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Welcome!!

if you are looking for lowering the action on the ukulele, use the search function to search for action adjustments. If you cant find it there, I would say go to guitar center and have them do it there, or find a luthier or custom worker and have them do it for you. you have to be very careful not to sand it unevenly or to much and it really is a tedious process. if you still want to do it yourself, go for it by all means but, just be careful.

welcome to the boards and enjoy the ride!!!

carlw134
04-15-2009, 01:39 PM
will this uke ever sound good, or is it that ive bought one thats maybe too cheap to ever get in tune. should i keep playing with it till it naturally finds the strings stay in tune, or by some aquilas now?

HoldinCoffee
04-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Funny, I've actually been LOOKING for a Mahalo U30 tenor (outside of Australia). I don't know I'd actually buy it once I found it, but I want to play one. Rounded back, geared tuners, affordable to say the least. From what I have read elsewhere, the U30 is a decent Mahalo! Supposedly the soprano and concert models in want of a set-up, adjusting the action at the saddle, changing the strings etc, so you're on the right track there (you meant sand down the SADDLE, right?).

But I think the prospects are pretty favorable that when all is said and done, you could have a good uke on your hands. As far as learning to play, this is the right place for that. Check out the lessons, and the uke-minutes, look for the tabs section in the forum and you'll be good-to-G-O.

buddhuu
04-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Is that a laminate uke? I think it's always worth putting Aquilas on a laminate uke. They drive those ply tops a wee bit harder than some wimpier strings and get good volume and fair tone out of them.

With a good set-up and decent strings your uke will probably do fine for your first few months. Unlike most cheap fiddles and most cheap mandolins, many cheap ukes are sometimes only a tweak away from perfectly acceptable.

carlw134
04-17-2009, 11:25 AM
its a mahalo u30g, coloured purple, 16 great british pounds. ha. ill get some aquilas from ebay right now.

post edited hours later - aquila strings, soprano, std c tuning purchased. ebay , sweet.

anyone think its worth sanding down the saddle to lower the action, currently too high.

buddhuu
04-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Definitely, but don't do it to the original. Get a couple of saddles from ebay and sand one of those. That way, when you f*** it up you can just put the original back on there! :music: